Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #2251
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokirie View Post
I have a question about zooming out in omniscient narrative.
I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by the question. The baseline in omniscient-third is quite detached. The "zooming in" is a brief exception. You simply return to the status quo.

You'd probably be best to start out at a distance in the first pages, to give the reader an idea of what kind of book it is.

After that, I wouldn't worry about it unless your beta readers flag something as confusing.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #2252
calieber
Couth barbarian

calieber is a shiny, shiny jewelcalieber is a shiny, shiny jewel
I kept this tab up to link to the page in a thread, but I forget which one. So here, for people exploring the possibilities of person and tense: http://www.lifeisstory.com/2013/01/a-very-tense-comic/

Projects for 2014:
Writing Much Shall Be Given|0/100,000
Plotting/outlining In the Broad Ways
calieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #2253
jack lee
figuring it all out

jack lee is on a distinguished road
your rules are good for instruction books. when you write like that, everyone who follow it will accomplish what you said.
jack lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #2254
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack lee View Post
your rules are good for instruction books. when you write like that, everyone who follow it will accomplish what you said.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you're getting at.

Instruction books?

Rules?

There's only one rule: If it works, it's right.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #2255
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you're getting at.

Instruction books?

Rules?

There's only one rule: If it works, it's right.
Perhaps he is talking about the much coveted, less talked about Writing With Uncle Jim book that would certainly be a big seller here in this forum.

...not that we are pushing or anything...

...just sitting here with my check book and the 24 33 44 46 cent stamp...

just filling out the order form...

No rush, really. I can get published anytime. This year. Next. 2046.

allenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #2256
Chrisla
practical experience, FTW

Chrisla has a spectacular aura
I'd like some feedback on a question that came up in my writers' group tonight. The writer of a very good story--a beginning writer--asks whether it increases drama to change from third person to first every time a certain scarey character is encountered. Some of the group say "yes," as long as she is consistent--that it adds to the drama because "scarey things always seem like they go on forever, so they are forever present." I question that because my root canal seems to go on forever, too, but I wouldn't change to present tense to write about it. I contend that, if you can't make the reader feel the fear while sticking to the tense you're writing in, changing to another tense just confuses the reader. But I'm here to learn, and I've been wrong more times than I care to track, thus the request for feedback. Give me your thoughts on the subject. Please.

Website/Blog: http://christinegeurinphipps.com
Chrisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #2257
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know if anyone besides Uncle Jim is supposed to answer questions here, but I'll offer my two cents before someone comes along to tell me otherwise.

Switching to present tense during scary sequences is like putting up signs telling the reader what's coming next.

What a tension killer. The reader knows that as long as the narrative stays in past tense, nothing scary is going to happen. When it shifts to present tense, it's the author announcing, "OK, this is the scary part," which of course serves to diffuse the scare factor.

That's my opinion. Uncle Jim may have a different one.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #2258
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Anyone can answer questions here. All views are welcome.

As far as switching tense during scary scenes...changing person during scary scenes...changing typeface during scary scenes....

Does it work in this story? That's the one and only valid test.

Moving, just for a minute, to an allied art: The background music in movies that tells us "this is the scary part" (or "this is the funny part" or "this is the romantic part" or "this is the exciting part") doesn't seem to kill tension much. Jaws was reckoned pretty scary even though the shark was announced every time by that rich melodic strain.

You can also do some special effects by having past and present collide in the climax. So ... dunno. I don't see any theoretical reason the author shouldn't bounce from tense to tense on a scene by scene basis, provided that it doesn't annoy or confuse the readers.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #2259
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Dorothy Parker's telegram to her editor.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #2260
Chrisla

Thanks for the responses. As always, I guess the answer is "whatever works." I know I don't have the skill to pull something like that off, especially having past and present collide. It'll be interesting to see how my friend's story progresses. Maybe I can learn something new.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #2261
BethS

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Oh golly. Can I ever identify with that.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #2262
SKDaley

SKDaley is on a distinguished road
Changing tense is one thing. You mentioned going from third person to first. Isn't that pov?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #2263
BethS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisla View Post
The writer of a very good story--a beginning writer--asks whether it increases drama to change from third person to first every time a certain scarey character is encountered. ...

but I wouldn't change to present tense to write about it. I contend that, if you can't make the reader feel the fear while sticking to the tense you're writing in, changing to another tense just confuses the reader. .
Which is it? Changing POV or changing tense?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #2264
Chrisla

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Actually she's doing both, but the POV change is in different scenes and not as frequent. I didn't find that too problematic, but did find the change from past to present tense disconcerting, since it occurs only when one specific character appears.I've never seen that done before.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #2265
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

I'd encourage the writer to keep going. Changing tense, or changing person, are some of the easiest things to do during re-write.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2266
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

As it happens, by way of example, our Bad Blood novels were written in third person then re-written into first person.

Crossover was written in past tense then re-written into present tense.

And in The Apocalypse Door, I alternate chapters in first person (past tense but set in the Now) with chapters written in third person (past tense but set in some twenty years earlier), and have them collide in the climax.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #2267
HConn
Whore for genre

HConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admiration
I thought the switches between first and third in Apocalypse Door was very effective.

At one point, I revised a novel from third person to first, and it was the most tedious work I've ever done. More boring than filing, I swear.

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.
HConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 AM   #2268
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uncle Jim, have you ever (you must have at some point in your career) thought about a novel-length book wherein each chapter was a complete story in and of itself, where each chapter is a link in the overall novel, telling its own story, but also linking together the previous chapter and the one that comes immediately after, and wherein all of the chapters together form the overall story arc, but any of which can be read separately on its own? Is there a name for this? Can you think of anywhere it's been done before?
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #2269
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Clifford Simak did this with City. Or, rather, he put together a lot of same-world short stories and linked them with a framing story and called them a novel.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #2270
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Damn, Buffysquirrel, you're right! I had completely forgotten about Simak's City (my gawds, it's been too long since I read any Simak).

Thanks for the heads-up.
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #2271
HConn
Whore for genre

HConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
Is there a name for this?
It's called a "mosaic novel."

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.
HConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #2272
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

We tried to write Lincoln's Sword as a mosaic novel, but it just didn't work, so re-wrote it as a regular novel.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #2273
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by HConn View Post
It's called a "mosaic novel."
If it was a disjointed collection of short stories, would it be a Picasso novel?

allenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #2274
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Got an acceptance today for our Christmas Challenge story, "According to the Rule," from the anthology Impossible Futures (Pink Narcissus, edited by Thomas Easton and Judith K. Dial).

Did everyone who tried the Christmas Challenge send it out?

Did everyone here try the Christmas Challenge?

(If you didn't, not too late. Call it the Easter Challenge and get writing....)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2275
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Got an acceptance today for our Christmas Challenge story, "According to the Rule," from the anthology Impossible Futures (Pink Narcissus, edited by Thomas Easton and Judith K. Dial).

Did everyone who tried the Christmas Challenge send it out?

Did everyone here try the Christmas Challenge?

(If you didn't, not too late. Call it the Easter Challenge and get writing....)
Could you repeat the challenge again? I might break down and give it a try. Just for fun I guess.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote