Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Book Promotion Ideas and Advice
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Swag - what works?

I've heard that authors should have business cards, and I've seen mixed commentary on whether bookmarks are worth buying/distributing.

And I've seen a variety of swag suggestions on blogs--pens, sticky notes, lip balm, mirror compacts, etc.

So, as a newbie author with an ebook, I'm wondering what types of swag get the most "bang for your buck."

Any ideas?

What has worked for you, either as an author doing promotions or as a reader at conferences/readings, etc.?

And what stuff are you likely to just throw out or not even pick up?

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One thing I think is a dangerous idea: flash drives loaded with novel excerpts and extras. It sounds good on the surface. Anyone with any security knowledge would never load one onto an important computer without wiping the flash drive.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Expensive stuff, swag. And I can't say it's ever induced me to buy the book it's promoting.

I do use bookmarks (and postcards, which I use as bookmarks). So I like them. But I don't buy books because of them. I buy books because they're well-written and interesting.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
JoNightshade
has finally arrived

JoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think swag doesn't so much promote your book as reward those who are already interested. So, take bookmarks. If you hand them out willy-nilly, they're going to end up buried in the bottom of people's purses or in the garbage. But if you have a conversation with someone about your book and they express interest, a bookmark helps them remember to order it when they get home. It's also a tool they can use to tell others. So I think the best tactic is to think about your target audience and what would best help them - to remember your book and share with others. That's gonna look a little different for each audience.

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.
JoNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As a reader, there are only two things I might take. The first would be a card or bookmark, if I want the details to look up later (or you're an author I like and the card is pretty). The second would be a signed bookplate, when it's an author I like but I didn't have a book to get signed.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
I buy books because they're well-written and interesting.
I cannot stress this enough.

The best advertising is word of mouth. If I read a good book, I'll tell someone else about it.

I can see for advertising, but I'd be more incline to buy someone's book after knowing them, rather than buying it because I had a bookmark or other stuff advertising it.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Remember how many books you are going to have to sell to make back whatever money/time you spend on swag.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
sarahdalton
Banned

sarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewelsarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yeah, I think it's important to keep it simple. But I thought I would add that a few relatively inexpensive bits - bookmarks, trading cards etc - could bump interest in a giveaway.

I've got designs for bookmarks but I've not printed any yet. I'm waiting until my book has brought in more revenue.
sarahdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
ARoyce

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and advice. I totally agree that the writing...and continuing to write...are what counts most. And swag can be expensive.

I think I may do a fairly small order of postcards just to have something tangible (for an ebook), perhaps with one of those scan codes for smartphones. But I won't spend much time or money that could certainly be focused elsewhere more effectively.

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
You can get bookmarks relatively inexpensively through places like VistaPrint (I made my own from Vistaprint postcards and a paper cutter). A friend who's a design major helped format the cards with pictures of my book covers, the logline, and a link to my website. I passed some out at a convention and got a brief hit uptake, and one or two sales. Upon reflection next time I'd like to pass the bookmarks out more systematically, to people who express interest and want to follow up, rather than just leaving them out for anyone--or no one--to take.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
areteus
practical experience, FTW

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoyce View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and advice. I totally agree that the writing...and continuing to write...are what counts most. And swag can be expensive.

I think I may do a fairly small order of postcards just to have something tangible (for an ebook), perhaps with one of those scan codes for smartphones. But I won't spend much time or money that could certainly be focused elsewhere more effectively.

Thanks again!
Do you know how to do one of those scan things for smart phones? Cos I would really like to know so I can use it myself...
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Business cards are for handing to people with whom you plan to do business when you meet them face to face, so they'll have your name, email, and phone number (without having to look for a scrap of paper to write it on).

If you aren't going to meet people with whom you might do business face to face, you don't need 'em.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
ARoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
Do you know how to do one of those scan things for smart phones? Cos I would really like to know so I can use it myself...
I haven't actually gotten one myself yet, but if you search online for "QR code" there are apparently some online code generators.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
CH1
AW Addict

CH1 has a spectacular aura
I was looking into QR codes too, I noticed that both Vistaprint and moo.com are now offering these.