Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW History; Questions and Discussion > Remembrances
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
Archerbird
Nightowl

Archerbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's already a thread about it here.

Archerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Noirblanche
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Noirblanche is on a distinguished road
A great loss.
Not news one wants with the morning coffee (nor, obviously, with lunch or dinner or tea or any other hour of the day).

This weekend I'll read the Martian Chronicles. It's in my pile of ToBeRead, but it just got promoted to the top.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #28
ravenmuse
figuring it all out

ravenmuse is on a distinguished road
He was indisputably one of the greats, but what was so amazing about him, was the way he could find inspiration in ordinary, mundane things and situations. Truly an example to follow and we are all richer through having enjoyed his work. I found this on twitter... a link to his last published article. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_bradbury
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
lol, there were several threads on his death. They all had to be merged.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #30
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm sorry to say that when I heard the news I looked at my bookshelves and realized I hadn't kept a single Bradbury to reread. I too read Martian Chronicles as a boy and, along with Stranger in a Strange Land, got hooked on many of these classics. Led to all my Edgar Rice Burroughs, CS Lewis, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark addictions.

By the way, I ordered the Ray Bradbury Theater complete collection on Amazon. Was only $10.49 for all the episodes. Unfortunately, low quality in the transfer (or I remember it better than it actually was).

Now I'll have to order some of them on Kindle. Wasn't there a movie of The Martian Chronicles? Rock Hudson? I don't remember it as being stellar though...

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #31
thekingsguard
Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur

thekingsguard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerbird View Post
There's already a thread about it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
lol, there were several threads on his death. They all had to be merged.
I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice... sorry for reposting old news.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #32
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's no need to apologise, thekingsguard. We often have multiple threads when a well-known person passes, and Bookclub is a fine place to start one for Ray Bradbury.

When the threads have quietened, they are usually merged and moved to Remembrances. It's no problem.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #33
AUthoress
Living my dreams.

AUthoress is on a distinguished road
Made me cry when I found out. Amazing writer, amazing man.
AUthoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
sarrahhakim
sucking out all the marrow of life

sarrahhakim is on a distinguished road
I remember the first short story I read by Ray Bradbury - "All Summer in a Day." It was beautiful.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury, and thank you for the wonderful gifts of writing you gave us. You have been a true inspiration, and you will continue to live on through your writing.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
EmersonWierda
Here, have a kitten.

EmersonWierda is on a distinguished road
R.I.P Ray Bradbury. Your works will always inspire us.
EmersonWierda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #36
Thorburgh
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thorburgh is on a distinguished road
I have Read 451 more times than any other book it is absolutely one of my favorite books and all his other writings where amazing I read alot of his books and short stories when I first decided i would love to be a writer
Thorburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
Michel_Cayer
figuring it all out

Michel_Cayer is on a distinguished road
Strangely I had not heard. A very unfortunate event. Thankfully, he will always be with us through his books and stories.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #38
Broadswordbabe
Chief High Procrastinator

Broadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.

Dangerous Gifts - A Babylon Steel novel

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women
Broadswordbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
Arislan
figuring it all out

Arislan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadswordbabe View Post
Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.
Same, first I hear of it. It's like the past being magically erased.

I wish humans had longer shelf life.
Arislan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
So, so sad. He lived a very long and awesome life, but still. The world is a little less shiny without him. I got to shake hands with him and get my book signed when I saw him speak about five years ago. What a hell of a human being.
Oh, wow. That's one thing that makes me especially sad; that I'll never get to speak to great writers after they pass on, or at least see them speak.

RIP, Ray, and thank you for all you've given to the world.

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
Ashwood
supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

Ashwood is well-respected
I truly miss Ray. One of the best of his kind, he's certainly inspired me. The Illustrated Man is one of my absolute all time favorites.
Ashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #42
DennisB
banned as an incurable tosspot

DennisB is well-respected
Regarding losing the masters...
Seems like so many of yesterday's writers were more versatile. Not to say that we don't have younger writers who produce novels, non-fiction, screenplays and short stories, but I'd guess there are fewer these days.

I'm glad Anne mentioned Something Wicked. Possibly the best opening chapter ever written.
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote