Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > From Other Forums and Message Boards
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
narmowen
Lost in the woods

narmowen is on a distinguished road
Snopes

Any other snopesters out there?

Shimmer: YA post-apocolyptic. 3k and going.

Requests from the Reference Desk
narmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What is a snopester?

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
narmowen
Lost in the woods

A person from the Snopes.com messageboards.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
PortableHal
Not-so-new

PortableHal has a spectacular aura
I love Snopes.com! Who knew there were message boards?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshadowwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They're just a rumor...

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.
shadowwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I heard that when you sign up for the Snopes message board, they send you some perfume, but when you smell it you lose consciousness, and then they steal your kidney as part of a gang initiation.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
AnneGlynn
If you don't try, you can't fail

AnneGlynn is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
I heard that when you sign up for the Snopes message board, they send you some perfume, but when you smell it you lose consciousness, and then they steal your kidney as part of a gang initiation.
Totally true. I know this because it happened to a friend of a friend and she's absolutely reliable.

My website? http://www.anneglynn.com/

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
AnneGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeah, I just got an e-mail forwarded to me about that from someone ... with the subject line written in ALL CAPS with lots of exclamation points!!!!
ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBoots View Post
Oh, yeah, I just got an e-mail forwarded to me about that from someone ... with the subject line written in ALL CAPS with lots of exclamation points!!!!
That's how you know it's true.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
That's how you know it's true.
D'oh!
ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
AnnikaHTDC
figuring it all out

AnnikaHTDC is on a distinguished road
I'm a long time lurker on the Snopes forums but never posted. I was always scared of saying something that would warrant the use of the emoticon of a smiley being hit with a fish.

How To Disappear Completely - available from Amazon

Blog

Twitter

Facebook
AnnikaHTDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #12
narmowen
Lost in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnikaHTDC View Post
I'm a long time lurker on the Snopes forums but never posted. I was always scared of saying something that would warrant the use of the emoticon of a smiley being hit with a fish.
Being "fished" isn't a bad thing! Neither is being spanked, or YOMANKED. NFBSKing, I've heard, though, can be interesting!

I've been a member since 01...name over there is Morrigan, though!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I lurk on Snopes.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
mugwort
practical experience, FTW

mugwort is on a distinguished road
I'm a Snopster when there is time from promoting my writing on my blog. Fave Snope's categories, Glurge, crime, medical, horrors, fauxtography. Sometimes it depends on how morbid my mood is.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Niniva
Life is just a bowl of cherries...

Niniva is a shiny, shiny jewelNiniva is a shiny, shiny jewel
I just fact check there when someone says they heard such-n-such. Albeit, they got me pretty good; they had a whole fake article on Mr. Ed being a zebra and dumbass me bought it.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
M. Scott
2014 is my year!

M. Scott has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by narmowen View Post
Any other snopesters out there?
For over a decade.

Twitter

Blog
M. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Snopes is good. Reminds me of The Onion and even Hoax-Slayer. I'm going off on a tangent now: I often refer to Urban Dictionary, and I find reddit, esp. IAmA, weirdly facinating. For example:

I am Dan Harmon, creator of Community, writer of Monster House, and Executive Producer of the upcoming Charlie Kaufman Stop Motion Animated feature Anomalisa, ask me anything! (self.IAmA)
submitted 20 hours ago* by danharmon

Who the hell is Jeff always texting????!!!!

I'm afraid that question is out of my hands now!!!

Holy shit, this exists.

Always wondered - how was the placement of the 7 study group members at the table decided? Did the actors pick their characters' own seats?

As a fan, I know that Pierce and Troy were paired because the original intention was that they'd be the comedic duo. I think Dan referred to them as a Beavis and Butthead-like pair in his head. . .

But he did.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #18
DennisB
banned as an incurable tosspot

DennisB is well-respected
I read on the internet that everything Snopes writes is a lie. And the internet is never wrong.
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #19
Chase
Gobble-gobble . . .

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
False.

Snopes has never sent perfume. It's Hoppe's No. 9 gunpowder solvent and just allows you to relax.

It's never been both kidneys, and most donors go on to lead normal, productive lives.

The so-called gang is the Oakland Raiders, and all proceeds from harvested organs are used to raise bail for players during regular season.

Manual only partied with Prince Harry and isn't really royal.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They pumped Rod Stewart's stomach and found several pints of Hoppe's No. 9 gunpowder solvent.

Totally true.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
zfk55
figuring it all out

zfk55 is on a distinguished road
I'd be more of a fan if the husband/wife team were truly neutral.

"An ole bre'r rabbit.... he set in de bushes.... he watch an' he wait.... lay low an' he don' say nuffin'.
zfk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
SunshineonMe
practical experience, FTW

SunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSunshineonMe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Snopes has a message board?? I have to go check it out right now.
SunshineonMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
SergeantC
figuring it all out

SergeantC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
I read on the internet that everything Snopes writes is a lie. And the internet is never wrong.
But according to Snopes, everything the Internet says is a lie. And Snopes is always right.

So where does that take us?
SergeantC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #24
kimcooper
figuring it all out

kimcooper is on a distinguished road
Do you mean in the message boards, or on their main debunking site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfk55 View Post
I'd be more of a fan if the husband/wife team were truly neutral.

kimcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Bush_moon
figuring it all out

Bush_moon is on a distinguished road
I've already said too much.....

BM
Bush_moon is offline   Reply With Quote