Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Freelance Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
teeta6404
practical experience, FTW

teeta6404 is on a distinguished road
Sports Magazines or Publications

Has anyone written any sports articles? If so where is a good place to submit them?
TIA

Obviously Opinionated http://obviouslyopinionated.com
teeta6404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
*Amel*
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

*Amel* is on a distinguished road
Do you have a specific sport in mind? What kinds of sports articles are you writing? Who is your target audience?
*Amel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
teeta6404

Football, basketball, maybe some baseball. They are mostly editorials, I want to appeal to other people in my age range 20-35. Also appealing to women a little more than men.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
OneTeam OneDream
Been a long time...

OneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admiration
From my experience, its one of the most commonly sought after freelance markets. In about five years of trying, I've written about 50 articles. Most of them local, paying less than 100 bucks per article. When it comes to editorial, that's even tougher, simply because you have to convince the editor that readers WANT to hear your opinion... took me two years for my first editorial in a local/regional publication.

That said, start local, especially if your area has a specialty publication like my old area did....most daily papers are always on the lookout for "stringers" but you may not be writing about what you actually want to (high school girls' volleyball for example) and for daily papers, expect to make 50-75 bucks per.
OneTeam OneDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
SpiderGal
Princess of Nerds

SpiderGal is a shiny, shiny jewelSpiderGal is a shiny, shiny jewel
Doesn't ESPN have a sports mag of its own?
SpiderGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
teeta6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTeam OneDream View Post
From my experience, its one of the most commonly sought after freelance markets. In about five years of trying, I've written about 50 articles. Most of them local, paying less than 100 bucks per article. When it comes to editorial, that's even tougher, simply because you have to convince the editor that readers WANT to hear your opinion... took me two years for my first editorial in a local/regional publication.

That said, start local, especially if your area has a specialty publication like my old area did....most daily papers are always on the lookout for "stringers" but you may not be writing about what you actually want to (high school girls' volleyball for example) and for daily papers, expect to make 50-75 bucks per.
Thanks, I have a couple things written, and really haven't found anything yet. I'll keep going for it.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Melina
Getting better all the time
AW Moderator

Melina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I moved this thread from the Trade Pubs board to the Freelancing board, because it sounded to me like the sorts of publications you are planning to target are consumer mags, not trade pubs.

"If it's not one thing, it's another."--Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna
Melina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTeam OneDream View Post

I agree with this. It sounds like your stuff (editorials) might be better for a blog or e-mag. The bigger papers and major magazines generally have standard columnists and a stable of reporters and well-established freelancers. Even if you live in an area with a smaller newspaper, I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to take on editorials from a nonstaffer, unless you have some sort of proven expertise or local celebrity status. Breaking into sports journalism is tough because so many people want to write about sports, and there seem to be fewer and fewer slots to fill as newspapers struggle. (Also, if they're editorials about pro sports, you might be dead in the water unless you have a unique hook. Pro sports opinion pieces are rampant on the internet and elsewhere for free.)

You might also try something aimed at your niche market (females 20-35) that would be interested in a sports angle.

(Disclaimer: I worked at a couple of newspapers in the sports dept doing a bit of this and a bit of that for a few years. That said, I wouldn't say I'm an expert in the field.)
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
OneTeam OneDream
Been a long time...

OneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderGal View Post
Doesn't ESPN have a sports mag of its own?
Yeah, it does. But getting into that, you would have to have

A. A ton of luck
B. A great, great, great, great exclusive that no one ever thought of.
C. Even more luck.
OneTeam OneDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
cornflake

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeta6404 View Post
Football, basketball, maybe some baseball. They are mostly editorials, I want to appeal to other people in my age range 20-35. Also appealing to women a little more than men.
As someone else said, try putting up a blog or asking someone who has a blog or small sports site with some traffic if they'd be interested in some content.

Without a name or rep or reason, you're going to have beyond a hard time selling editorials to an actual mag or big-name pub. Their editorials are from their own writers or other known quantities.
cornflake is online now   Reply With Quote