Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW Contests and Projects Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #51
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I guess we'll once again be using a password-protected subforum? Thing is, if I can get this story to work, I'd also like to submit it somewhere. Considering whether its use in our Un-Valentine's Day Challenge would count as first publication.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #52
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep - the passworded forum again, and I'll pull anyone's stories they'd like pulled, too -- just drop me a note after the vote closes.

SPEAKING of stories, I've been plain swamped and haven't had a chance to post anyone's Christmas stories -- since the season has well passed, but it's not at all a bad time of year to be subbing seasonal stories to appropriate markets, consider all rights to those stories available and officially reverted to you, as far as AW is concerned.

If Caleb posted your stories on his site, though, that's a separate matter between the writer and him.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #53
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Mac.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #54
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Who's Caleb? And what site?

*confused*
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #55
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post

*confused*
Cliff Face, that's most definitely Classified Information, and even then, it's parcelled on a Need To Know basis, which you do not.

Need to know, I mean.

Do not worry. Your government has everything under control. Just go about your daily business, Cliff Face. Do not concern yourself further.

That is not a suggestion, btw.

On a lighter note, the deadline for this Valentine's Day Contest thingie looms. Let's recalculate (Cliff Face, you may want to join in, take your mind off things): Today is Feb. 12 which means, I do believe, that the deadline is TOMORROW EVENING at what, 11 p.m.?

I'm asking you a question, Cliff Face.

Good segue back to my phone call to Beautiful Beth, who hates my fucking guts.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #56
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quote:

*confused*
Seriously, though: Caleb (CJacobo on AW) got the ball rolling on the Short Fiction Competition we had back in September, and put some of the stories on his site, here: http://calebjacobo.com/ Haven't seen him around lately, though.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Back to our regularly-scheduled programming. ETA to Valentine's Day Contest: T minus 38.5 hours (I think, don't quote me, I suck at math as well as spellign) give or take.

Last edited by kkbe; 02-13-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: oh crud. Stick to the damn point of the damn thread, kkbe.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #58
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Manuel.

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. )
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #59
Mr. Aziz
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mr. Aziz is on a distinguished road
Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?
Mr. Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #60
kkbe
Huh.

Quote:
Thanks Manuel.

And kk - there's 14.5 hours to go for me, but I've submitted already. (Yes, I'm in the future down here in Australia. )
And less now, C.F., but still more for me than you, not that it matters from your standpoint, being as you already submitted, which I must surely do, because ETA is now something like hang on, getting tiny calculator 25.5 hours from now--11 p.m. tomorrow--not that it matters from your standpoint, being as it's already tomorrow there, from here I mean. . .

/my little blog/
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #61
MacAllister
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Aziz View Post
Just to check in, should we be getting an email back saying "Yep, I received it," or should I shoot it off again?

Or perhaps, did it tickle the region of bad where one's memory refuses to transcribe the event?
Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #62
Mr. Aziz
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mr. Aziz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Generally I just post 'em -- then if you don't see yours there, you PM me and resend it until I get it. There was one Christmas story that we had to try three or four different emails and dropbox methods with, before it came through (still dunno why).

We've had a pretty good number of stories already turned in, so this should be a really fun round.
Looking forward to reading them then.
Mr. Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #63
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Mac, I remember the email (submissions AT absolutewrite DOT com), but -- are there are any special formatting requirements?

ETA: Sent it. Maybe someday I'll finish something well before deadline.

Last edited by Manuel Royal; 02-14-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #64
MacAllister
El Jefe

Stories are up! I'll put a poll up later tonight.

Happy reading, all!

(And if you don't see your story there, PM me and we'll track it down!)

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #65
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished my first read -- very romantic enjoyable.

Now to read again and make my first cut. *Smileywithscissorssmiley*

My website - hoskinscrosswords.com
HarryHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #66
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quite a variety! Nice to see some poetry in there.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #67
Seraph
practical experience, FTW

Seraph is a shiny, shiny jewelSeraph is a shiny, shiny jewel
Variety, indeed. Some novel stuff. Didn't enter myself this time but really enjoying the reads. Gonna be a tricky vote.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #68
kkbe
Huh.

Okay, I'm excited! The ol' fingers are itchin' to get to at it now, so. . .

Not that, mr. smarty pants.

/my little blog/
Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #69
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished my second scissor read - cut the 9 down to 5. Last read and final cut tomorrow. Some funny stuff in there.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #70
Cernex
figuring it all out

Cernex is on a distinguished road
Read the first two stories and the poems.

Pretty enjoyable tales, nice!

Last edited by Cernex; 02-19-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Like always, first draft sucked!
Cernex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #71
Cliff Face

Have read the first 5 entries. Methinks the second 5 will take a mite longer to read.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #72
kkbe
Huh.

Read 'em all. Indeed, they did subvert, twist, parody, and otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes. I found the entries blackly humorous, decidedly off-kilter, more than a tad askew. Some, more than others. Some, a lot more. . .
As Mac said, it's all good.

/my little blog/
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #73
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

Last cut cut and the votes from the United Kingdom are in.

Good job everyone.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #74
kkbe
Huh.

Okay, Harry, time to scoot over. . .

Hey, Haiku person is kicking butt and that ain't no surprise! Come see! There's an eclectic assortment of twisted Valentine goodness just waiting for you, so take you pick -- There's an Asshole Jar, a wink and a kink, Cupie Boopie, el cheapo gifto (it's the thought that counts!), Hideous Beastie and True Love Tex, Miguel the Venereologist, sweet love poison, Jim Good's crotch and one really long-ass turd.

I hope I didn't forget anybody!!! If I did, a pox on. . .

HarryHoskins.

Enjoy, and don't forget to do your civic doody!

/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 02-23-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #75
kkbe
Huh.

Fact: My submission is pretty much tanking.
Fact: Everybody who submitted an entry is a winner!
Extrapolation: I submitted an entry, ergo. . .

Aw, man, my submission is getting spanked! But it's okay! We're all winners!

And this winner bows to Haiku!

/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 02-24-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: We're, not W're. Ugh, can you fix it, Putputt???