Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Interstitial
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Snowball2695
practical experience, FTW

Snowball2695 is on a distinguished road
SF/Romance: Good or Bad?

I was recently sitting at my desk just throwing things a the wall to see what stuck, and I ended up coming up with two things. One was a SF tale kind of similar to Firefly in some ways, and the other was a deep, comedic Romance. My brain, of course, started doing what what I can only assume is thinking, and I decided to try and combine the two.

This seems like a bad idea for some reason.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
SF/Romance and fantasy/romance crossover are doing pretty well with likes of Harlequin. Depends on how much romance you were planning on putting in.

Last edited by waylander; 04-16-2012 at 11:24 PM.
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's all in the execution. Sci fi romance seems eminently publishable right now, particularly with e-pubs. Click my link to The Galaxy Express for more than you ever wanted to know about sci fi romance.
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
JanDarby

JanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJanDarby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Check out Linnea Sinclair. She writes some amazing sf romance, and I believe she's blogged about the challenges of selling books in that sub-genre.
JanDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Fallen
"School? Mum, no!"

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For reading, I prefer it over any other genre.

Website

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

2014 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Antidote)
2014 Rainbow Award Finalist Gay Mystery/thriller (Antidote)
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Nightmelody

Nightmelody is on a distinguished road
I write SFR novellas pubbed with several e-pubs. Editors seem to be looking for SFR , there have been submission calls.

There is a supportive online SFR writing community--the Galaxy Express, linked above, is great and there's the SFR Brigade, which is also active on facebook.

MELISSE AIRES
Blog Website

Kidlit Blog: Clanks and Clicks
Nightmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
toecollector
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

toecollector is on a distinguished road
It depends on how well executed it is.
toecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Bisileyton
figuring it all out

Bisileyton is on a distinguished road
Is the book a Sci fi book with a romance in it or a Romance in a scifi world?

Bisi
Bisileyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Generally, I think that SFR has had a very good reception in the past five years or so. I love seeing more gals involved in SF themes and plots, and they can inject just the right passion into the storyline to draw more female readers. I think it's a great thing, and I've always had romance sub-plots in all of the SF books.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
Granada
Rides by lost in a lexicon

Granada has a spectacular auraGranada has a spectacular aura
I love reading SF romance, especially when it has some real SF in it and not just romance in a SF setting. Linnea Sinclair, the Liaden books, Evangeline Anderson (romantica SF) come to mind.
Granada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
John Petersen

John Petersen is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Firefly worked.The Fifth Element was hilarious and it worked, some might not consider The Fifth Element a romance though.
John Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
eggs

eggs is on a distinguished road
My current WIP is a scifi romance. I'm in final draft stages now and think it will come in around 80K, maybe a bit more. The difficulty I've found is in having enough space for the sci-fi world building and enough space for the romance. I think I'm at about 80% romance 20% scifi right now. The interesting thing for me in edits is the realization that if I swapped the solar transpo's for carriages and the City/Wasteland folks for 1860's London/1860's wilderness USA, I could quite easily re-write the whole thing as a historical romance. This is how I know I have a romance with sci-fi elements on my hands, rather than a sci-fi with romantic elements. The romance is the key.
eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just had a m/m erotic romance space opera published, set loosely in a sf&f universe I've been working on for over 2 decades. The fantasy stuff wasn't going anywhere. I advanced the timeline into a futuristic setting and expanded one little worldbuilding notation into a 99K mms.

All my previous worldbuilding details fit right in, including the sprawling city I'd made for my very first novel in 1987. The romance was an experiment, but it worked so well I'm contracted to write the sequel now.

I'd rather read sf&f with strong romances, rather than romances with some sf&f flavor. I very nearly ignored the new spec fiction romances because of my own experiences with the awful 'new romances' of the 1980s. I've been reading sf&f for nearly 40 years, so when romance authors show how unfamiliar they are with classic sf&f tropes, it tends to throw me out of their story.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball2695 View Post
I was recently sitting at my desk just throwing things a the wall to see what stuck, and I ended up coming up with two things. One was a SF tale kind of similar to Firefly in some ways, and the other was a deep, comedic Romance. My brain, of course, started doing what what I can only assume is thinking, and I decided to try and combine the two.

This seems like a bad idea for some reason.
Not at all. There are plenty of publishers, especially digital first publishers interested in Sci Fi Romance. You have to know though what is Sci Fi Romance and what is just Sci Fi with Romantic Elements. There would be more places to sell it too if it is a Sci Fi Romance.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As mentioned, SF-Romance is already a well-established sub-genre.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
dchisholm125
can jump higher than you

dchisholm125 has a spectacular aura
Why is that a bad thing?! I think if the characters are wholesome enough and the writing offers a great sci-fi setting, why not combine the two if you can? It will appeal to more people if there is a struggling love connection in the story!

Unnamed Fantasy - 16,143 words in and wingin' it!
dchisholm125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
DarkSongofErrin

DarkSongofErrin is on a distinguished road
Go for it! As above, all depends on the execution.
SF and Romance is something I personally think can go quite well together.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wish there were more good Sci-fi romances.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Nothing wrong with science fiction romance. When it comes time to market it, you can just call it a science fiction novel with romance elements.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Shadowstorm (Epic Fantasy): 3,000/150,000?
rwm4768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Yukinara
The Exile

Yukinara is on a distinguished road
I like SF and romance, but not the kind like the second Star Wars movie, like why the hell they can't fall in love? That sudden code about Jedi has to be celibacy, I don't get it. There is an explanation somewhere, but it sounds utterly stupid to me.
Yukinara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
mshean
Worst Unicorn

mshean is on a distinguished road
Oh man, sci-fi romance can be great if it's handled correctly. Now being a longtime sci-fi fan, it rankles when I read sf/r stories are basically just bodice-rippers with spacesuits. That being said, science fiction is such a vast and flexible genre that as long as there's good worldbuilding and good characters behind it, a romantic focus wouldn't be a problem. I think it really just requires a parallel plotline that is solid and interesting that will make the romance organic and believable. Frankly I'd love to see more organic romance in sci-fi in general.

Yukinara: I hear what you're saying with the Jedi code, but on the other hand, that could be some seriously Thorn Birds romantic tragedy there. You know, that could be handled far better than the movies ever did EVER.
mshean is offline   Reply With Quote