Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Italics in replies using Quote facility

I'm probably just a lone grump, but I wonder why original text appearing in replies using the QUOTE facility is shown in italics when finally posted via Save.

It's not that bad where short posts are under reply, but in Share-Your-Work for instance I find it tiresome to read whole chapters and relative in-narrative comments in italics.

I find I can get rid of the italics by adding a ] immediately after the initial [QUOTE but wondered if there was any particular reason why quoted text had a default font of italics. The quoted text under reply is in its own box, so italics don't seem necessary.

Just curious.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's hard-coded in the vBulletin Stylesheet; at this point, it's a Huge Giant PITA for me to change it. I'd have to change not only the CSS, and Templates (doable; I've already done it for AW), but I'd have to change the PHP.

Wherein the Giant PITA.

But in the next upgrade? Yeah, quoted text will be inset and in a shaded box, but not in italics.

There are workarounds, but they're all kinda clumsy.

There's also a potential for allowing Members/users to set a preference, which if it makes it to the final version of the next release, will let members set how they see the forum (but not how OTHERS see the forum).

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
I find I can get rid of the italics by adding a ] immediately after the initial [QUOTE
Wow. That's a hell of a burden to bear. I've always done this and never worried further about it.

caw
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds very cool, Mediavalist. Is there a timetable for that upgrade, or is it a longer term plan?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Wow. That's a hell of a burden to bear. I've always done this and never worried further about it.

caw
It's more of a pain when other people don't do that. Obviously most can't edit others' posts.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Bufty

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Exactly- my grump wasn't because I have to change anything - it's because other folk don't.

Quote:
=onesecondglance;7991231]It's more of a pain when other people don't do that. Obviously most can't edit others' posts.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pretty clever for a baby in a bib, if you ask me.

Maryn, aware no one did
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Sounds very cool, Mediavalist. Is there a timetable for that upgrade, or is it a longer term plan?
There's an internal timetable, yes, and since we'll have to shut down the forums for a day or two, we'll give folk advance notice.

It's stil a ways off.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

Thanks - sorry for being a nosey git

Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Thanks - sorry for being a nosey git
No worries!

What I'm thinking about doing is having the Originally posted by in italics, followed by the linked UserName thus:

Originally posted by Bufty

With the quoted text in Roman against the gray background.

I always hesitate to change anything though, because quite a lot of members find any change problematic.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Bufty

Thankyou. Understood and appreciated.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
I always hesitate to change anything though, because quite a lot of members find any change problematic.
*panics early to avoid the rush*
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote