Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Music and Songwriting
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
DarkSongofErrin
practical experience, FTW

DarkSongofErrin is on a distinguished road
Depends on what I'm writing or the scene I'm writing.

Music always makes me picture something. it was a song that inspired me to start writing in the first place. But for example I listen to the rain song by led zeppelin often when I'm trying to convey a peaceful, harmonious scene.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Lady_R
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lady_R is on a distinguished road
I don't listen to any music when I write and none when I paint either. I was talking to some artist friends about this not that long ago and I seem to be the minority.

I find music very distracting and it really influences how or what I write.

I save music for cleaning, driving, dancing and other times when the music can be a focus. (side note - I love singing in my car so the music is always blaring)
Lady_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
T. Trian
banned as an incurable tosspot

T. Trian is on a distinguished road
Whenever we write, we usually put together a playlist that has most of the songs K. Trian and myself enjoy, music that puts us in the right mood to write the given piece (e.g. medieval/renaissance music, some folk, lots of metal for sword fantasy stuff, ambient, noise, dubstep etc. for sci-fi and so on and so forth). Sometimes we even have a specific song for a specific chapter (though we do this mostly with sci-fi since some ambient pieces are so creepy they just add that extra-something to an already disturbing chapter).
T. Trian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #29
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Lots of times I like silence, but others, especially when editing, I like music. While writing The Divide I listened to music more than ever before: the characters attend concerts and listen to music quite a bit, and I even made up two band names for the book! (Razor Burn and Sham Rock.) So I listened to a lot of Disturbed, Evanescence, Muse, and the song Superman by Goldfinger.

I used to think of music as a distraction, but now it just depends on the scene and my mood. Sometimes the right music helps me get in the right frame of mind, but then if I get too distracted I have to turn it off.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #30
Abacas

Abacas is on a distinguished road
While writing, i likes and used to listen little softer and slow music, which does not distract the concentration while writing, infect provide the right thought for writing. Other people might have different choices.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #31
April Days

April Days is on a distinguished road
As a songwriter and pseudo-singer, I don't listen to any music when I'm writing. I've got enough stuff rolling around inside my brain, without adding cacophonous noise to the mix.

Maybe I just don't multi-task well.
April Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #32
SJNew
figuring it all out

SJNew is on a distinguished road
I don't listen to music while writing properly, as I find it too distracting (I also haven't forgotten accidentally typing the lyrics to 'Master of Puppets' into an essay on child development because I was listening to Metallica while writing it ). However, I do listen to a lot of music while working through ideas and scenarios, and this can vary depending on what it is I'm trying to work out. In general, though, I find Mumford and Sons and Florence and the Machine to be particularly inspiring.
SJNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #33
SelmaW
Follow your heart; take your brain

SelmaW is well-respected
I may, er, listen to dubstep.
SelmaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
amandakelley
figuring it all out

amandakelley is on a distinguished road
I should of seriously looked at this forum better before I wrote my post a few minutes ago. :| Didn't see your post! I basically just asked the same thing. :|

I listen to a lot of different music while writing, it has to be the kind of music that makes me feel something though. Or bands and singers that I love.

Like: Within Temptation, Florence + the Machine, Evanescence, We Are The Fallen, Breaking Benjamin, Firelight, Lady Antebellum, etc.

I always have Spotify up while writing. My current playlist for my WIP has 45 songs on it.

A few songs on it are:

1. Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
2. If I Die Young - The Band Perry
3. Help Me Close My Eyes - Those Dancing Days
4. The Truth Beneath The Rose - Within Temptation
5. Never Let Me Go - Florence + the Machine
amandakelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
MikeCheck
figuring it all out

MikeCheck is on a distinguished road
When I was working on my first draft, every time I sat down to write, I would listen to "My Notes" by Atmosphere. I don't know why, but that song always gets me in the right move to be creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeqGNPLn2ZA
MikeCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
kruschev

kruschev is on a distinguished road
i just don't listening to music that much anymore at all. it's strange, because i couldn't go a second without it. i fell asleep to music. i can't say for certain this is a result of my being serious about writing. i began my novel almost two years ago. though, i've traded monthly trips to the record shop for half price books.

occasionally, i feel that i need to listen to music and i find these folks good atmosphere. tom waits, the decemberists, joanna newsom, godspeed! you black emperor, sigur ros, drive by truckers, sufjan stevens (especially his christmas album)
kruschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #37
calling33

calling33 is on a distinguished road
I find I don't really listen to anything but if I do, it depends on my mood. USually something punk rock like NOFX, that really gets the creative juices flowing.
calling33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
katjapants

katjapants is on a distinguished road
I tend to listen to softer things when I read or write, like classical music or Enigma. Anything harder or louder than that tends to be too distracting for me and I don't actually get anything done.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #39
BethEllyn
figuring it all out

BethEllyn is on a distinguished road
lifelong PROUD Hanson fan right here lol so I listen to them a lot when I write. and Taylor Swift to get into the teen romance vibe
BethEllyn is offline   Reply With Quote