Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Shaezy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Shaezy is on a distinguished road
Starting a sentence with a "time" number

My husband's student asked him to review a narrative she had written. She had written the sentence "5 hours later....." and when my husband questioned the use of the numeral "5" she advised him that her tutor says the rule for referring to a "time" number should always be written as the numeral.

My understanding is that if you are writing the actual time, it's acceptable (although not a rule), but for a number under ten, and a number starting a sentence, it should the the written word.

Does anyone know if there is such a rule as her tutor advised?

Edited to add: Her tutor had corrected her initial writing of "Five hours later..." to read "5 hours later..."

Last edited by Shaezy; 02-25-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding information
Shaezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Written word:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/593/01/

caw
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
cornflake
practical experience, FTW

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaezy View Post
My husband's student asked him to review a narrative she had written today She had written the sentence "5 hours later....." and when my husband questioned the use of the numeral "5" she advised him that her tutor says the rule for referring to a "time" number should always be written as the numeral.

My understanding is that if you are writing the actual time, it's acceptable (although not a rule), but for a number under ten, and a number starting a sentence, it should the the written word.

Not in English. You're correct about the rules/standards.
cornflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
My husband's student asked him to review a narrative she had written today She had written the sentence "5 hours later....." and when my husband questioned the use of the numeral "5" she advised him that her tutor says the rule for referring to a "time" number should always be written as the numeral.

I believe that the tutor meant "time" as an hour of the day: 5:30 PM, but a quantity of time should be written in words: "five hours." In narrative numbers should usually be written in words, regardless of the size of the number, but money, time, and temperature are usually treated differently.
Grammar Girl has a broader view and says that guides vary widely. But starting a sentence with a numeral would be jarring in any context.
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...e-numbers.aspx
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Five hours later, ...

I had to be there before 5:30 but was ten minutes late already.

The student has misunderstood what was meant by 'time'.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Neptune View Post
I believe that the tutor meant "time" as an hour of the day: 5:30 PM, but a quantity of time should be written in words: "five hours." In narrative numbers should usually be written in words, regardless of the size of the number, but money, time, and temperature are usually treated differently.
Grammar Girl has a broader view and says that guides vary widely. But starting a sentence with a numeral would be jarring in any context.
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...e-numbers.aspx
That was my thought.

"Five hours" may refer to time, but "Five" isn't a time. 5:00 is a time.

Even if you follow that rule, some times will read better when written out - especially in dialogue. If your character says "I have to be there at 5:00," it's going to be read as I have to be there at five o'clock. If they really said "five" I would write out the word.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Lil

Lil is a shiny, shiny jewelLil is a shiny, shiny jewel
You never start a sentence with a numeral, whether it is a time, a date, a fraction or anything else. It is always written out as a word or words. This rule has nothing to do with whether you spell out numbers under ten or under 100, and it applies no matter how big the number is. Not a good idea to start a sentence with the numerical value of pi.
Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Chase
AW benefactor & vice versa

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
You never start a sentence with a numeral. . . .
Lil is quite correct on this point. While studying and teaching English over the years, I've encountered several "number rules," and all of them included what Lil said.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
boron
Health writer

boron is well-respected
5 h is needed for the reaction to complete. (my example, and I'm not claiming I wrote it right)

This Guide for the Use of the International System of Units (SI) says on the page vi, point 9, that, in technical writing:

"Values of quantities are expressed in acceptable units using Arabic numerals [not words] and the symbols for the units."

There is no specific rule for the beginning of a sentence mentioned, though.

The owl says that a sentence should start with:
Six percent of...and not
6% of...

Last edited by boron; 02-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
boron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Neptune View Post
starting a sentence with a numeral would be jarring in any context.
With the notable exception of a numerical year.

caw
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Shaezy

Thank you for your clarification - it's as we thought.

For the record, the tutor corrected the student's original "Five hours later..." with "5 hours later...". The student did not misunderstand the tutor; the tutor doesn't understand the rules.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by boron View Post
5 h is needed for the reaction to complete. (my example, and I'm not claiming I wrote it right)

This Guide for the Use of the International System of Units (SI) says on the page vi, point 9, that, in technical writing:

"Values of quantities are expressed in acceptable units using Arabic numerals [not words] and the symbols for the units."

There is no specific rule for the beginning of a sentence mentioned, though.

The owl says that a sentence should start:
Six percent of...and not
6% of...
"In technical writing" is the important thing here. In technical documents most (maybe even all) numbers should be written as numerals, but in narrative essays, stories, articles (non-technical), and so on numbers should be written in words. There are lots of things that are different in technical writing.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
But you didn't reveal that in the original post.

Quote:
For the record, the tutor corrected the student's original "Five hours later..." with "5 hours later...". The student did not misunderstand the tutor; the tutor doesn't understand the rules.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Shaezy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
But you didn't reveal that in the original post.
Ahh, sorry! That part was clear in my head!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
DennisB
banned as an incurable tosspot

DennisB is well-respected
I'm pretty sure the standard is to SPELL the word if it's under 10, no matter where it appears in the copy, unless for a darned good reason.
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #16
WriterBN

WriterBN is well-respected
Even in technical writing, every style guide I've used requires the number to be spelled out when it begins a sentence. If possible, the sentence is reconstructed so that it doesn't start with a number.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Edited to add: Her tutor had corrected her initial writing of "Five hours later..." to read "5 hours later..."
Sounds like someone needs a better tutor.