Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #17876
ASC McLaren
Intended for mature audiences

ASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of light
"The Zambesi tribe called human flesh 'Long Pig'. I never much cared for it."
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #17877
TedTheewen
President of the Cray Fan Club

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What movie is that line from?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #17878
ASC McLaren
Intended for mature audiences

ASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of light
Survey says, number one answer on the board,
Archer
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #17879
TedTheewen

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC McLaren View Post
Survey says, number one answer on the board,
Archer

I should have known that.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #17880
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, yesterday's snow turned into mostly rain overnight and today. Made it into and from work with no problems.

At work though, my boss mentions in passing that we've got a tour coming through and would I mind cleaning up a pile of old stuff that should have been archived long ago. I spent the whole day scanning documents from as far back as 1985 or 1983, but he was pleased with some of the stuff I stumbled over (even wanted copies of some of it).

Anytime I can keep my boss happy is a good time.

I really do like this job. I'm almost always busy, nobody hassles me, and I produce results which seems to make everyone there happy.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #17881
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
*slaps ASC on the back*

Come on, cough him up. I was wondering what had happened to bos...
Work has happened, and an ungodly ugly schedule this semester.

Glad to see you've managed to find your way back, too.

“I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. ... But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #17882
TedTheewen

Greg, it's awesome you have found a job you like. That is really a difficult thing for a lot of folks.

I just got off work and drove home at the beginnings of a very ugly snowstorm. My gas tank is on vapors and tomorrow I'm kiting a check just to keep the car running since I don't get paid until late tomorrow night.

Part of the problem with being a decent employee is management has no qualms coming to you for extra hours, days, etc. Sometimes I wish I was incompetent.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #17883
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
Part of the problem with being a decent employee is management has no qualms coming to you for extra hours, days, etc. Sometimes I wish I was incompetent.
I have found that brings about it's own set of headaches... and often less money.

“I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. ... But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for”

FleasTwits
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #17884
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember getting promotions and extra hours and more people coming at me to do stuff. Wasn't fun. Makes you wonder how they ever run the place without you. But of course, they have to now, heh.

(Nah, I'm still looking for a job, but I don't miss the old one. Leaving was a good decision.)

In other news, I've "discovered" Marble Hornets. I put that word in air quotes because I've been aware of its existence for quite a while, but never actually checked out the videos in the web series itself. And I'm pretty much never going to sleep again.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #17885
TedTheewen

OMG! Marble Hornets rocks! Bri and I love that series.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #17886
night-flyer
Roasting cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like you are enjoying your job a whole lot more than the last one and that they actually appreciate the work that you do, congrats Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Work has happened, and an ungodly ugly schedule this semester.

Glad to see you've managed to find your way back, too.

Stinkin' work!! You can always visit us when you're getting drunk and grading papers. :P

Aw, thanks. I knew I liked you, well...I had my suspicions that I liked you...sort of. As irritating as this may be to some AWer's- I always find my way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
OMG! Marble Hornets rocks! Bri and I love that series.
What's that about? Is it a cartoon?

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #17887
TedTheewen

Marble Hornets is a web series on youtube. It's a bunch of very short films, like 5 minutes each or less, and they are very creepy.
Quote:
Marble Hornets is a documentary-style horror, suspense short film series based on alternate reality experiences of the Slenderman tale. It follows the story and discoveries made by student filmers of the Marble Hornets project, and has its basis in the tale before spinning off into an alternate reality game (ARG), which are interactive narratives that use the real world as their playing field, bringing the "what if?" ideas that drive many other creators of fiction. The series tends to utilize the "This Is Not A Game" aesthetic, in which the world created by the game should be as real as possible; therefore any location mentioned should be real, etc. Marble Hornets was instrumental in codifying parts of the Slender Man mythos, but is not part of the intercontinuity crossover that includes many of the blogs and vlogs that followed it, although MH does feature in other canons as either a chronicle of real events or a fictional series.[71][72][73]

Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #17888
night-flyer
Roasting cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool! I'll have to check that out. Thanks for posting that, Ted.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #17889
bluntforcetrauma
Esquire

bluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good afternoon.

(Ecclesiastes 9:16)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #17890
TedTheewen

Blunt! It's always cool to see you pop in, man!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #17891
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey guys. Anyone do anything interesting this weekend?

I'm trying hard not just throw a bunch of stuff in my car and take off to anywhere. I need an adventure or something so much.

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #17892
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Road trip?

My weekend (as most days lately) was sucky. Nothin' to see here. Move along, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #17893
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anything. Anything to just get some fresh air and get out of Fargo for a bit.

*rattles cage bars*

*gives BW a bag of marshmallows*

Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #17894
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*eats all the marshmallows*

*rattles Abby's cage*

So... Do you want out of there?

Quote:
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #17895
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

:O You'd.... YOU'D ACTUALLY CONSIDER LEAVING ME IN!?!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #17896
TedTheewen

Quote:
Hey guys. Anyone do anything interesting this weekend?

I'm trying hard not just throw a bunch of stuff in my car and take off to anywhere. I need an adventure or something so much.
Come to Wisconsin. I only get Sunday off, which means I spend it cleaning, writing, etc. But if you come here, I'll make sure you get lots of cheese, brats n' beer.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #17897
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

Mmm... I miss BBQing... and newbieque...

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #17898
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

Quote:
:O You'd.... YOU'D ACTUALLY CONSIDER LEAVING ME IN!?!
Frankly, some of us wonder why he ever lets you out.

FleasTwits
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #17899
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
Stinkin' work!! You can always visit us when you're getting drunk and grading papers. :P
I try not to mix those two.

Very often, anyway.

+ =

FleasTwits
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #17900
TedTheewen

Bos, there was a viral e-mail back in the early 90's for professors and college teachers that had some great ideas.

Like, at the beginning of class put a bottle of Chivas on the podium and tell the class "when the bottle's empty, class is over."

Or have a guy in all black and a black beret strum a bass while you lecture.

Closed Thread