Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #2951
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I'm so sorry, HJ. -gives huge hug-

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #2952
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, everyone.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2953
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Thanks, everyone.
No problem at all.

Twitter
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #2954
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Ah, I'm sorry, hj. I hope it gave you some comfort to have so many people around today.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 128,398
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 26,569/120,000
lizmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #2955
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mitchell View Post
The start of my trip, I lost my wallet in a service station. Now, as I have been told, my money had been stolen.
Oh, bad luck. Was it a pickpocket or something?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #2956
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
The start of my trip, I lost my wallet in a service station. Now, as I have been told, my money had been stolen.
Aww. That sucks. I'm sorry.

Twitter
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #2957
Mr Mitchell
practical experience, FTW

Mr Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Oh, bad luck. Was it a pickpocket or something?
I left it in the toilet and forgotten to pick it up. Then the money was stolen, which is my fault.
Mr Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #2958
tarak
for certain qualities of "sane"

tarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admirationtarak has earned our admiration
HJ - I'm so sorry.

Mr Mitchell - that sucks. I had that happen once. It's not your fault - it's the fault of the jerk who took your money instead of turning it in.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #2959
Silver-Midnight

Well, I got some writing done today. Just a little though. I really hope my story is going okay, and that pacing isn't too weird.

--

I did get a lot of school work done. At least I hope I did. I'll probably be wrapped up with a lot of it this week so, yeah.

Twitter
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #2960
GailD
Trick or edit?

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
I
On the one hand, it's so quiet here!

On the other hand, it's so quiet here!
I know exactly what you mean. My two London (UK) daughters went back yesterday - after a two week holiday here. It's a strange sort of quiet. Sort of sadly, wonderfully, beautifully peaceful. But I get to mess up their space in December.

Quote:
everyone. I've been quiet, as this has been a horrible week. My beloved cat died on Wednesday. Still trying to get my head around it.

For a distraction, we're having 50-60 people for the boy's birthday party today... We never do things halfway around here.
Aw Sorry you're going through that.

Quote:

Having anything stolen from you is horrible. (And boy, do I know what that feels like!)

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #2961
lizmonster

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Okay.

When I took this new job, my biggest reservation was that it was for a brand-new software project in a company that does very little software. I was the first person, besides the manager, being hired on to the team, and I was concerned about the possibility of the project getting redefined or canceled.

This is the beginning of Week 8, and my worst fears are coming true. (Well, maybe not my WORST fears - they haven't decided they didn't need me after all, and thrown me out). But when I was interviewed, the manager told me he was going to be hiring 14 people. When I was hired, he told me that number was now 5. Now - he's got one more person starting on the 11th, and that's it.

Two of us. And neither of us has expertise in the area that is, in my opinion, the most critical piece in the whole puzzle.

Add to that the fact that I'm not actually writing any software all day - I am reading user manuals for commercial-grade electrical equipment, and I'm being asked to take their contents and convert them into PowerPoint slides that are essentially lists of the control points of each piece of equipment. There are hundreds of these in each piece of equipment, and there are probably 30 different types of equipment left on my list.

Each pass through this nonsense takes me about 3 days. So if I do the math...hm. 30 times 3 days each, divided by 5 days a work week, that's...18 weeks. Four and a half months.

Of writing no software.

Which is what I was HIRED TO DO.

I don't want to look like I'm job-hopping; but seriously, this is terrible. If I stay too much longer, the damage to my resume is going to be really, really bad. Never mind the fact that slogging through hardware specs - when I have NO hardware background - is turning my brain into oatmeal, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a lot of it wrong.

I'm tempted to ask my headhunter how long I have to stay before he gets his kickback, and tell him to start looking for me the day after that.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #2962
Silver-Midnight

That sucks, Liz; I hope it all finds a way to work out.

--

Well, I tried to write a little bit today. However, I just feel completely disconnected from my characters/my main character. No matter what POV I write in, it just comes off as distant. Or it would be distant. And I don't know how to fix it yet. (I suppose that's why multiple drafts are there but still; it's irritating me.)

Twitter
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #2963
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, wow, liz, that's awful. Definitely start looking.

Mitchell and Gail, we're just glad that you guys weren't hurt!
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #2964
lizmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
That sucks, Liz; I hope it all finds a way to work out.
Thank you.

Quote:
Well, I tried to write a little bit today. However, I just feel completely disconnected from my characters/my main character. No matter what POV I write in, it just comes off as distant. Or it would be distant. And I don't know how to fix it yet. (I suppose that's why multiple drafts are there but still; it's irritating me.)
I know how frustrating this can be. On the other hand, you're right - that's why multiple drafts are there. And I've often found, after I let something sit for a few weeks (or months!), that the stuff I thought was just awful coming out really isn't so bad. Some of my favorite lines have come from days when I was just going through the motions to hit my word count.

You're your own worst critic sometimes.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #2965
lizmonster

Quote:
Oh, wow, liz, that's awful. Definitely start looking.
If I stay until April 7, my headhunter gets his percentage, and I won't feel so bad asking him to help me leave!

But yeah, the date is on my calendar now. Sigh. I hate interviewing.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #2966
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
I know how frustrating this can be. On the other hand, you're right - that's why multiple drafts are there. And I've often found, after I let something sit for a few weeks (or months!), that the stuff I thought was just awful coming out really isn't so bad. Some of my favorite lines have come from days when I was just going through the motions to hit my word count.

You're your own worst critic sometimes.
Thanks. This probably won't be the only the draft of this, especially if I decide there is some kind of potential with it. So, hopefully, I'll be able to work out all of the "kinks" and problems that I'm currently having with it. I'm the beginning stages of getting back to writing. This is going to take some time.

Twitter
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #2967
French Maiden

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
I'm sorry HJ.

Mr. Mitchell, can you claim it on your insurance?
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #2968
Mr Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Maiden View Post
I'm sorry HJ.

Mr. Mitchell, can you claim it on your insurance?
I hope so.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #2969
Silver-Midnight

I really hope everything works out for you, Mr Mitchell.

Twitter
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #2970
Mr Mitchell

Quote:
I really hope everything works out for you, Mr Mitchell.
Life moves on, I guess.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #2971
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Life moves on, I guess.
Yeah, but still....

--

Well, slightly tired but really can't afford to nap too much right now. I've got stuff to work on. I honestly think I'm going to have "one of those weeks". Ugh.

@Liz: Again, I really hope everything works out with your job though.

Twitter
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #2972
GailD
Trick or edit?

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Liz, it sounds to me as if the company you're with did not think things through before bringing resources on board. And there's not much worse than doing a job you loathe. It's the kind of invasive unhappiness that permeates everything else. You deserve so much better. I hope your headhunter can find you something good asap.

Silver, ironing out the 'kinks' is where the rubber meets the road - creatively speaking. You can do it.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #2973
Mr Mitchell

Quote:
Yeah, but still....

--

Well, slightly tired but really can't afford to nap too much right now. I've got stuff to work on. I honestly think I'm going to have "one of those weeks". Ugh.

@Liz: Again, I really hope everything works out with your job though.
Now, though, I will be looking forward to the future.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #2974
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
Silver, ironing out the 'kinks' is where the rubber meets the road - creatively speaking. You can do it.
Thanks, Gail!

--

I'm really starting to think that this is going to be "one of the weeks" for me. I mean really, really starting to think it.

Twitter
Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #2975
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
HJ - Hugs - so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you're holding up okay.

Mr Mitchell - that sucks. Hopefully you can get something back on the insurance.

liz - I hope you find somewhere that suits you more and where you'll feel happier.

Good vibes out to everyone. Sounds like it's been a hellish time lately.

I just got back from Prague, visiting my boss. I've been put in charge of writing a new tour and making up the route and everything. Probably the most responsibility I've been given. I spent the weekend trudging through the snow trying to work out the best way to go but I think I've got it, and now all I need to do is write the script and test it out. Best thing about my boss though is she always tells everyone I'm a writer, and uses that as my main job title for her company as well. It always feels good