Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
blueframe
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

blueframe is on a distinguished road
Two characters talking.

I am working on a short story and while there are bookend "action" scenes, the main conflict takes place between two people talking.

The way I am visualizing it now, a man and woman are sitting in a diner, having coffee, while he is trying to convince her to do something she doesn't want to do. There is a lot of dialogue around their shared history and a tragic event. The stakes are very high but the bulk of the story is essentially "two people sitting in a room talking". They leave the diner for the final scene and it is mostly action.

I am wondering if there are some good authors/stories that could show how to handle this type of conflict so it could work without being too "boring". Where the conflict is essentially two people talking.

Thanks!
blueframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Tinman
practical experience, FTW

Tinman is well-respected
Blueframe. Welcome to the site.

The only thing I can think of offhand is a Stephen King story called The Boogeyman. It's about a man telling a story to a psychiatrist. It's in his Nightshift collection. I'm sure there are many others. Good luck!!
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a splendid one to beholdguttersquid is a splendid one to beholdguttersquid is a splendid one to behold
Your post suggests that you fear the middle part of your story, between the exciting beginning and exciting ending, will be boring. But dialogue is not boring unless you write boring dialogue.

Consider this: "Twelve people in a jury room argue about a case." That's the basic description of 12 Angry Men. Nothing boring there.
guttersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Blueframe. Welcome to the site.

The only thing I can think of offhand is a Stephen King story called The Boogeyman. It's about a man telling a story to a psychiatrist. It's in his Nightshift collection. I'm sure there are many others. Good luck!!
Thanks Tinman. I got the book today.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersquid View Post
Your post suggests that you fear the middle part of your story, between the exciting beginning and exciting ending, will be boring. But dialogue is not boring unless you write boring dialogue.

Consider this: "Twelve people in a jury room argue about a case." That's the basic description of 12 Angry Men. Nothing boring there.
Hi Guttersquid,

Thanks for the comment and you make a very good point. I am concerned that a scene with just dialogue and some minimal action (ordering coffee, drinking coffee, etc.) will be slow. I wanted to see if it has been done in a successful way or if I should switch gears altogether. Your "12 Angry Men" reference is a good one.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
AKyber36

AKyber36 is on a distinguished road
A good short story by Ernest Hemingway that has a similar approach is "Hills Like White Elephants." I thought of that when you began mentioning your premise, and it might make for a good observation to see how he handled it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKyber36 View Post
A good short story by Ernest Hemingway that has a similar approach is "Hills Like White Elephants." I thought of that when you began mentioning your premise, and it might make for a good observation to see how he handled it.
I did read this story! Thanks very much for the suggestion. It is a good one.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
flapperphilosopher

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
I immediately thought Hemingway too... he has a lot of stories that are mostly two people talking. His short story collection "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" has a lot of them, you might try that. Maybe even look at some plays to see how high stakes can be in a scene of "just" talking... a different format but a helpful learning tool. Tennessee Williams is a good one to look at.
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Patrick.S

Patrick.S has a spectacular auraPatrick.S has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersquid View Post
That was the first thing that jumped into my head too.
Patrick.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapperphilosopher View Post
I immediately thought Hemingway too... he has a lot of stories that are mostly two people talking. His short story collection "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" has a lot of them, you might try that. Maybe even look at some plays to see how high stakes can be in a scene of "just" talking... a different format but a helpful learning tool. Tennessee Williams is a good one to look at.
Great suggestions! Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Mrs. de Winter
Eating cookies

Mrs. de Winter is on a distinguished road
Check out Nathan Englander's stories, like the title story in "What We Talk about When We Talk About Anne Frank." Or "A Temporary Matter," by Jhumpa Lahiri (you can find it in her book, Interpreter of Maladies)
Mrs. de Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
AKyber36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueframe View Post
I did read this story! Thanks very much for the suggestion. It is a good one.
I read it as part of high school language arts class. We analyzed the conversation, and it was very meaningful. It's perhaps one of my favorite Hemingway shorts on how to do a story with primarily nuanced dialogue.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
WriterBN

WriterBN is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. de Winter View Post
Or "A Temporary Matter," by Jhumpa Lahiri (you can find it in her book, Interpreter of Maladies)
Probably my all-time favorite collection of short fiction.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
There's a few Lovecraft stories where it's just two people talking, like 'The Picture in the House.' You can read it online here:
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/...iction/ph.aspx

You could also check out this flash fiction story I wrote. I like to think that it works well as a 'just two people talking' story.
http://dailysciencefiction.com/fanta.../a-special-day

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. de Winter View Post
Check out Nathan Englander's stories, like the title story in "What We Talk about When We Talk About Anne Frank." Or "A Temporary Matter," by Jhumpa Lahiri (you can find it in her book, Interpreter of Maladies)
Thanks very much for the suggestion!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
There's a few Lovecraft stories where it's just two people talking, like 'The Picture in the House.' You can read it online here:
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/...iction/ph.aspx

You could also check out this flash fiction story I wrote. I like to think that it works well as a 'just two people talking' story.
http://dailysciencefiction.com/fanta.../a-special-day

I will check them out! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
cathyfreeze
I lost my fever! I need it back!

cathyfreeze leaves trails of profuse coolnesscathyfreeze leaves trails of profuse coolnesscathyfreeze leaves trails of profuse coolnesscathyfreeze leaves trails of profuse coolnesscathyfreeze leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKyber36 View Post
~That was the first story that sprang to my mind, AKyber36. It's two people talking but characters, mysteries, horrors are revealed and it keeps you riveted.

It's online fulltext here

"Soylent Green is people!" ~Robert Thorn
it's the power of the penis that compels them~ muravyets
cathyfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
AKyber36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfreeze View Post
~That was the first story that sprang to my mind, AKyber36. It's two people talking but characters, mysteries, horrors are revealed and it keeps you riveted.

It's online fulltext here

Ah, you found a great link!

Yeah, what Hemingway did great in this was how vague but obvious the topic might have been between the two. Our whole class kept thinking he was pressuring her into having an abortion, but in the end, who knows? The intrigue from the dialogue is amazing, though.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Joel Stottlemire

Joel Stottlemire is on a distinguished road
My Dinner With Andre

This sounds a lot like the setup for "My Dinner with Andre." You might give it a peek.

Joel, Editor
www.thedrydenexperiment.com
Joel Stottlemire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stottlemire View Post
This sounds a lot like the setup for "My Dinner with Andre." You might give it a peek.

Joel, Editor
www.thedrydenexperiment.com
Good idea! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
JimHeskett
Writers gon write.

JimHeskett is well-respected
dialogue doesn't have to be boring. Give each character something they want, and make their wants conflict or compete. And what they want comes out in the conversation... but not too on the nose. Use subtext... people rarely say exactly what they're thinking.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
squishytheduck

squishytheduck is on a distinguished road
These are called cafe shorts, I believe. Hemingway has another I like called A Clean Well-Lighted Place. Here is a link to a website with other examples and critical analysis:
http://realtimeshortstories.wordpres...y/cafe-shorts/
squishytheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHeskett View Post
dialogue doesn't have to be boring. Give each character something they want, and make their wants conflict or compete. And what they want comes out in the conversation... but not too on the nose. Use subtext... people rarely say exactly what they're thinking.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Coeus

Coeus is on a distinguished road
I actually love dialogue scenes. They can be the most interesting parts of a story depending on how they're done.

Think of a film: Aside from bombastic action scenes and the like, all the writing in the film is dialogue. Even better, think of a play. There's pretty much only dialogue.

Dialogue between characters is a fantastic opportunity to show the reader what they're made of. Usually this is accomplished through conflict-- that doesn't mean they need to have an all out fight, but small disagreements provide ample opportunity to explore both the plot and the characters through dialogue.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
blueframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
I actually love dialogue scenes. They can be the most interesting parts of a story depending on how they're done.

Think of a film: Aside from bombastic action scenes and the like, all the writing in the film is dialogue. Even better, think of a play. There's pretty much only dialogue.

Dialogue between characters is a fantastic opportunity to show the reader what they're made of. Usually this is accomplished through conflict-- that doesn't mean they need to have an all out fight, but small disagreements provide ample opportunity to explore both the plot and the characters through dialogue.
Thanks so much Coeus for your response. It is very encouraging.

Thanks to everyone again for your feedback I feel very motivated to complete my story and am not as concerned that "two characters talking" will slow down the momentum!