Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Caryslan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Caryslan is on a distinguished road
A quick question about the age of my main characters.

I have a question, two of my main characters in my novel are twin sisters who are twenty-one years old, while their younger sisters are Eighteen and Sixteen in the current draft that I'm writing.

All four sisters play a major role in the overall storyline. The only thing that I'm curious about is if the ages of my characters is too high. Most YA that I've seen tends to have younger characters. The twins used to be younger in older drafts, and I gradually changed their age as the storyline changed.

Are the twins too old to be the MC's in a YA novel? The genre is Fantasy if that helps.
Caryslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Violeta
All I Ever Wanted Was The World

Violeta is a shiny, shiny jewelVioleta is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryslan View Post
Are the twins too old to be the MC's in a YA novel?
Hum... The short answer? Yes. Long answer? Teens and pre-teens can't relate to
twenty-something-year-olds. For them, those MCs are too old. Too far
away. Too "adult" and unreachable. It's like another universe for them. So, yeah,
I think they're too old.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
sadbeautifultragic
practical experience, FTW

sadbeautifultragic is a glorious beacon of lightsadbeautifultragic is a glorious beacon of lightsadbeautifultragic is a glorious beacon of light
Whose POV is the novel being written from? If it's one of the younger sisters I think you should be fine. I think it's okay for somewhat older characters to be main characters but probably crossing the line (in most cases anyway, it can work but I'm not gonna go there right now) for them to be the POV.

P.S. Read the stickies.
sadbeautifultragic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a glorious beacon of lightlauralam is a glorious beacon of light
Possibly, or possibly not. Personally, I read mainly adult as a teen, so I was used to MCs in their early twenties. As with most things, it depends a lot on execution and the main problems and plots your characters are dealing with. If you're worried, see if you can shave a few years off the older characters and get them to 18/19. But you could also hop on the New Adult wave that's currently happening as well.

Basically, write the book, make it the best it can be, sub to agents who take both YA and adult maybe, and see what happens. It's all a marketing category anyway, IMO.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
The_Ink_Goddess
the not happened yet

The_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolness
INVINCIBLE SUMMER by Hannah Moskowitz (AW's Shady_Lane) is a good example of this. The POV character ages from 14-18 in the course of the book - so pure YA - but the book focuses heavily on the relationship between him and his older brother, who closes the novel at maybe 19 or 20, and his little sister. There's a lot about the little sister when she's 12/13. But it's definitely YA, because the main anchoring voice is.

When not crying, sleeping, writing or studying, I tweet here

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
- A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
The_Ink_Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
I think you should be fine, especially since it's fantasy! Just be sure to load up the beginning of the book with the 16 and 18 y/o's pov's so that by the time the agent/editor/readers hit the twins, they don't even care how old the twins are they just want to keep reading and see what happens next.

And remember, most Disney princesses look like young 20-something grown women, not teenagers (except Alice in Wonderland) and yet little children and teens are still enchanted by them!

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
If you tell it from the teenage points of view, it's still YA. However, if the twins have their own POV chapters, it might be a tougher sell. I'm in a bit of a similar place with my fantasy, which I'm not calling YA. My two MC's are 18 and 16, but I have two other viewpoint characters who are 25 and 30.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Shadowstorm (Epic Fantasy): 3,000/150,000?
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
Caryslan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Caryslan is on a distinguished road
If I aged the twins down to nineteen years old, would that help? I need to have the oldest sister stay above eighteen since she is the heir of her homeland and takes the throne at the end of a story arc. As for the two youngest characters, I can also adjust their ages by a few years. I can easily make the youngest sister fifteen years old, which will still make her work with her current personality and power.
Caryslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
The_Ink_Goddess
the not happened yet

The_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryslan View Post
If I aged the twins down to nineteen years old, would that help? I need to have the oldest sister stay above eighteen since she is the heir of her homeland and takes the throne at the end of a story arc. As for the two youngest characters, I can also adjust their ages by a few years. I can easily make the youngest sister fifteen years old, which will still make her work with her current personality and power.
Yes. 19 is upper YA pretty much NA but between her younger siblings, that would put it firmly in the YA bracket to me.

When not crying, sleeping, writing or studying, I tweet here

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
- A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
The_Ink_Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Ashwood
supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

Ashwood is well-respected
I think 19 would work better, yes. From a teen's standpoint, 21 could be deemd 'old'.

Come to think of it, I used to think 30 was ancient. Now I'm 3 years from 30... and well... not so ancient anymore.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Dagrami
stuck in the middle

Dagrami is on a distinguished road
Agree that 19 would be better.

But be prepared for some teens to still think she's really old/unrelateable...

When I was 16, one of my friends dated a guy who was 19. And to the rest of us, he was really old and it was really weird.

It's only now I'm on the other side of 20 that I realise 19 really ain't that old. But remember to be mindful of your target audience. Small age gaps are a huge thing at that time in life.
Dagrami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Mandiloo322
[Shhhh....I'm writing.]

Mandiloo322 is well-respected
19 is much better, and I agree that as long as the sixteen-ish girls are the main POV you should be fine. The Stickies have a lot of info regarding what is and isn't YA as well. Read a lot of YA in your genre so you can get a feel for what is out there right now as well.
Mandiloo322 is offline   Reply With Quote