Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #601
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I honestly think it will be a bit before I can write again. I'm just busy this week. Ugh.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #602
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

JustinlDew is on a distinguished road
Considered selfpublish for all of two seconds. That is one scary place.
Groundhog Day Indiana Jones Fantasy: 8000/100000 Steampunk: Editing! Modern Fantasy: Rewriting. Epic Fantasy: Outlined. Urban Fantasy: Trunked.
JustinlDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #603
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
Editing is exhausting work.

Works in Progress:

Dark Fantasy (YA) - NaNoWriMo Bound
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #604
sarawrites
rolling up her sleeves

sarawrites is on a distinguished road
I just had a mini epiphany about the planning of my novel. I'm working through the Snowflake Method and it's been very helpful so far. But I was starting to get stuck. A bit of moving things around and bending the "rules" and I'm off to the races! Everything from here on out is going to be drastically helpful and will get me well on my way.

And I've spent the last two days writing an adorable scene between my MC and her LI. It's "schmoopy" as I so lovingly call it.

So, feeling pretty good!

War Torn #1: Planning! Roughly snowflaking at step 5.

Reading: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Knitting: TGV
sarawrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #605
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawrites View Post
I just had a mini epiphany about the planning of my novel.
That's what I need. An epiphany. A plot epiphany. Just a minor one. Please, God.

And that's what's on my mind. The only thing on my mind.

It's painful in there.
WriteMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #606
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
I just had a mini epiphany about the planning of my novel. I'm working through the Snowflake Method and it's been very helpful so far. But I was starting to get stuck. A bit of moving things around and bending the "rules" and I'm off to the races! Everything from here on out is going to be drastically helpful and will get me well on my way.

And I've spent the last two days writing an adorable scene between my MC and her LI. It's "schmoopy" as I so lovingly call it.

So, feeling pretty good!

Yay!!

@WriteMinded: You'll get there, you will.

Twitter
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #607
mstratton
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mstratton is on a distinguished road
What's on my mind?

I'm new to the forum, and I've got a lot on my mind so I thought this would be a good place to jump in.

I finished my memoir, and I've sent out queries, synopsis, chapters, etc...I've received three rejections so far. One is still out, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and searching for more agencies that desire memoirists.

I've started two fiction novels. Now that the memoir is in its final stages, I'd like to go back working on those. One is a YA (realistic fiction novel) set in Hurricane Utah. The characters are rural Mormons grappling with real world problems like death, drugs, and finances.

The other is about a firefighter who reaches the end of his rope one day.

So, yeah, that's about it.
mstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #608
Quentin Nokov
King of the Kitties

Quentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQuentin Nokov is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been somewhat disappointed because I've been writing for so long, but don't have anything publishable yet. My one novel is going on 5 years of work. I love the adventure of writing, but it would be nice to have a published book in my hands. Hopefully in another 5 years I'll have something published.

Quentin Nokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #609
sarawrites
rolling up her sleeves

Of course the feeling pretty good didn't last long...

Maybe I've been reading too much AW, but now I'm terrified that my plot is broken, that my character motivations aren't consistent enough (my MC's change throughout the story), that the arcs of action aren't actiony enough.

I don't know. It's just a lot of self doubt, heaped on my shoulders right now.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #610
Tepelus
Local Cemetery Girl

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Maybe I've been reading too much AW, but now I'm terrified that my plot is broken, that my character motivations aren't consistent enough (my MC's change throughout the story), that the arcs of action aren't actiony enough.

Everyone goes through the self doubt stage. Remember you're not alone.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #611
Atalanta
Indoor Enthusiast

Atalanta is a splendid one to beholdAtalanta is a splendid one to beholdAtalanta is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteMinded View Post
That's what I need. An epiphany. A plot epiphany.
Try playing with your ideas in a format different from what you're used to, i.e., if you're a keyboard writer, pick up a pen; if you write longhand, try a keyboard; or use index cards, or a drawing pad.

I'd been stuck on the climax of my plot for freakin' weeks, and just sat down one day with a pen and a stack of lined paper and started writing out headers: "This is what my antagonist knows," "These are my antagonist's goals," "These are things I want to happen," "This is what he might say," etc.

I scratched out nine pages of scribbly notes, marred by ellipses and question marks, and the margins all filled with asterisks. But it wasn't until the next day that the magic happened: I read through all those notes, opened my novel file, and BAM! I suddenly knew exactly what was supposed to happen.

It's like sneak-attacking your muse: go in through a different gate, and they won't even know you're there until it's too late. Good luck! And remember: we've all been there; we understand the frustration and agony.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #612
Silver-Midnight

Quote:

Write it anyway. Ignore those voices. That's what I have to tell myself. I'm really trying it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
Everyone goes through the self doubt stage. Remember you're not alone.
Ditto.

Twitter
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #613
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

Have I mentioned I hate editing?
Groundhog Day Indiana Jones Fantasy: 8000/100000 Steampunk: Editing! Modern Fantasy: Rewriting. Epic Fantasy: Outlined. Urban Fantasy: Trunked.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #614
Sam Argent
Rygel XVI

Sam Argent is a shiny, shiny jewelSam Argent is a shiny, shiny jewel
Query letter part 4. I'm cherry picking parts of the earlier versions and making a megazord. I hope all the plot bunnies attacking me right now stick around when I'm finished.
Sam Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #615
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Converted my .doc to .epub to read through on my Nook, and I'm finding that exercise incredibly useful. When I'm reading my story like I would any other book, the things that I want to change seem to jump out at me, whereas on the computer screen they've been prone to blend in too well.
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #616
MakanJuu
practical experience, FTW

MakanJuu has a spectacular auraMakanJuu has a spectacular aura
Just started a straight rewrite of the first chapter of the book, shortening the first scene, replacing the second and switching the order. Only, now I'm worrying if I'm using too much cursing, even if it's honestly normal speech for a middle-low class rural person from the Midwest United States, and also worrying if my writing is being too simplistic right now, even though I'm trying to capture the main character's panic at the moment. Guess I'll find out when I go to SYW after I'm done. I will say that I've written more today than I have all month (2100 words so far) and I'm almost done with the scene.

Maybe I can take a bit more time to live with it & think it over before I post again...

Backburners:
Let Us Thrive- Political Thriller/ Character Drama
Paranorm- Horror/ Character Drama
Buried Below- Treasure Hunter Homage
Spirits Sequels & Prequel(s)
MakanJuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #617
sarawrites
rolling up her sleeves

Smile

Thanks Tepelus and Silver-Midnight! I'm starting to feel a bit better now.

I left my debit card at a restaurant in Chicago--which I live an hour outside of--after having dinner with a friend, so had to haul butt back in to pick it up today. My lovely mother drove and I took my netbook and got a lot further along in my planning. Drastically further.

Hooray!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #618
Papaya
Unfold your own myth. - Rumi

Papaya is a glorious beacon of lightPapaya is a glorious beacon of light
I'm thinking that peaches sure are a big deal in Stonewall, Texas. That's not going to be enough to write an area page on though....

Let yourself become living poetry. - Rumi
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #619
dchisholm125
can jump higher than you

dchisholm125 has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakanJuu View Post
Just started a straight rewrite of the first chapter of the book, shortening the first scene, replacing the second and switching the order. Only, now I'm worrying if I'm using too much cursing, even if it's honestly normal speech for a middle-low class rural person from the Midwest United States, and also worrying if my writing is being too simplistic right now, even though I'm trying to capture the main character's panic at the moment. Guess I'll find out when I go to SYW after I'm done. I will say that I've written more today than I have all month (2100 words so far) and I'm almost done with the scene.

Maybe I can take a bit more time to live with it & think it over before I post again...
It depends on the POV. If it's first person and your character isn't exactly the most elloquent speaker then who gives a f**k right? I mean if he's an a$$h013 and he curses $h1t every five seconds cause he's a friggin' angry Sonofab1tch that's just your character's personality.

I'll admit though, curses sometimes take away from the rhythm of the scene if they're out of place. However, if they fit logically with the mood it can be used to emphasize rather than just seem like overdramatics or getting carried away

Unnamed Fantasy - 16,143 words in and wingin' it!
dchisholm125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #620
MakanJuu

MakanJuu has a spectacular auraMakanJuu has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm125 View Post
It depends on the POV. If it's first person and your character isn't exactly the most elloquent speaker then who gives a f**k right? I mean if he's an a$$h013 and he curses $h1t every five seconds cause he's a friggin' angry Sonofab1tch that's just your character's personality.

I'll admit though, curses sometimes take away from the rhythm of the scene if they're out of place. However, if they fit logically with the mood it can be used to emphasize rather than just seem like overdramatics or getting carried away
Just finished maybe half an hour ago!

Anyway, it's an action scene involving a girl trying to run away from home in the middle of the night, as her physically abusive father, verbally abusive stepmother and their angry attack dog all get involved in a quick chase.

And, despite my fear that I was being too simplistic with my words, it ended up being longer than the chapter was originally, when it was just an archeological dig, then a car ride. And I'm not done, yet! I already have ideas for the rewrite (This may end up having to be two chapters, now, and then I have to revise what's currently the second chapter to accommodate the changes in the first.

I was worried the swearing might be offensive, but I've honestly heard people talk like that and, well... if anything, I suppose it'll help people identify with the character more and want her to escape, then they'll be more hooked in when things start going badly again. I'm just glad I fianlly have my hook!

Backburners:
Let Us Thrive- Political Thriller/ Character Drama
Paranorm- Horror/ Character Drama
Buried Below- Treasure Hunter Homage
Spirits Sequels & Prequel(s)
MakanJuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #621
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Still trying to come up with an apocalypse-type disaster on an alien planet that only an earthing scientist could solve. Problem is, both technologies are the same, having FTL travel and other things. This has been the worst plot problem I've ever had--hoping I didn't paint myself into a corner at about four chapters into it.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #622
Silver-Midnight

Well, I got some more writing done today. Not much. But that's better than nothing. i finished out my first chapter. It's not as long as my usual chapters but I don't think this story is going to be that long but I don't entirely know yet. Things in it are moving kind of fast. (I kind of fear that they're moving too fast. )

Twitter
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #623
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

bouncing between essay writing, QLH, and a steampunk outline. Fun, fun, fun.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #624
enesthi

enesthi is on a distinguished road
Managed to get through the first 10 chapters of draft 2 proofreading, but there's a lot of chapters (they're rather arbitrary at this point). This shiny new story keeps lurking off in one corner of my mind trying to get my attention too. I wrote down the basic premise to appease it for a while but gotta get through this proofread before it comes back.

I always wanted to write a mystery, though... (looses focus again)

My SYW thread for my novel opening (Sci-fi)

Sci-fi progress Progress: 88267/80000 (2nd draft revision)

Regular-fi Progress: 19300/100000 (first draft)
enesthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #625
Raison

Raison is on a distinguished road
I'm stressing over condensing, yet I haven't even completed the first draft. When I began writing, I was afraid I wouldn't have enough material to even have a decent-size book, but now I know it will be too long. I've been editing a good bit as I go along, but I know I'm going to have a huge task ahead of me to not only edit but also to condense. I'm not looking forward to that part at all.
Raison is offline   Reply With Quote