Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Of Mice and Snakes ... and Tylenol -- (this is NOT a joke, it is NOT "The Onion")

It's raining men mice in Guam.

A US scientific team will be doing a "mouse drop" on the island of Guam, carpet bombing the island with an undisclosed number of dead mouse carcasses, all of which have been laced with acetaminophen, a pain killer more commonly known as Tylenol which is incidentally poisonous to the invasive brown tree snake (boiga irregularis). This operation is slated to be executed some time during April or May.

http://rt.com/usa/us-snake-guam-mice-308/

Quote:
US to bomb Guam with dead mice

February 22, 2013

In a desperate attempt to kill off two million brown tree snakes that are plaguing the territory of Guam, the US is bombing the island with poisoned dead mice, hoping that the snakes will eat them.

“We are taking this to a new phase. There really is no other place in the world with a snake problem like Guam,” Daniel Vice, assistant state director of the US Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services in Guam, told the Associated Press.

The pile of dead mice, laced with painkillers that are deadly for snakes, will rain down onto Guam’s jungle canopy as scientists drop them from helicopters in a last-ditch attempt to eradicate the invasive species....

When humans try to tinker with ecoogical balances (or imbalances) strange unforeseen consequences tend to unfold.

Let's see where this one leads to.

::ETA::

Seems the snakes have been an utter plague to Guam, and that this is a measure of last ditch desperation. Meanwhile Hawaii is worried of a possible snake migration to their fair paradise.

The following article from Gizmodo is knee-slappingly funny to read (but sadly way too brief!). Yet is full of good information.

http://gizmodo.com/5986337/guams-sol...e-paratroopers

Quote:
Guam’s Solving Its Snake Problem With a Horrifying Rain of Poisoned Mouse Paratroopers

Eric Limer - Feb 22, 2013 - WTF Friday

... According to the Associated Press, the drop is scheduled for sometime in April or May and has actually been in the works for over a decade. The reason it never happened before was for fear that crows might eat the mice instead, but now all the crows have conveniently been eaten by brown tree snakes so it's all systems go....

[snip and repaste]

... So scientists have come up with a solution, the only logical one really: fill a bunch of dead mice with painkillers, give each corpse a tiny parachute, and throw them all out of helicopters into the jungle. No but really....

[snip and repaste]

... the hope is that their tiny parachutes will become entangled in the jungle's foliage where their sacrificed corpses will be feasted upon by the writhing mass of serpents....

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

Last edited by Plot Device; 02-23-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first thought was "Poor mice."

I'm quite curious as to whether this will work or not. And what those unintended consequences may be. Very interesting, PD.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For some reason I assumed at first that Tylenol was a laxative and skimmed over the bit about it being a pain killer.

I had quite a vivid picture of what the unintended consequences might be.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One word: cane toads

Quote:
The cane toad in Australia is regarded as an exemplary case of a "feral species"—others being rabbits, foxes, cats, and Giant Mimosa. Australia's relative isolation prior to European colonisation and the industrial revolution—both of which dramatically increased traffic and importation of novel species—allowed development of a complex, interdepending system of ecology, but one which provided no natural predators for many of the species subsequently introduced. The recent, sudden inundation of foreign species has led to severe breakdowns in Australian ecology, after overwhelming proliferation of a number of introduced species for which the continent has no efficient natural predator or parasite, and which displace native species—in some cases these species are physically destructive to habitat as well. Cane toads have been very successful as an invasive species, having become established in more than 15 countries [3] within the past 150 years. The Australian Government placed cane toads in the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 as a "key threatening process" [4]

[edit]Introduction and spread

ETA: yeah, okay - two words. And thank you wikipedia.

I don't see it ending well....

Last edited by mccardey; 02-23-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: gone wiki-ing
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
BradyH1861
Hold Fast.

BradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Our government at work. They can't deliver the mail in a timely fashion but they can come up with this.

I'm kind of curious if it will work. I'll stay tuned.

"Redheads are God's way of giving the World roses."
BradyH1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
SWest
Santa Poopsie...

SWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dogs will die. Lots of dogs.
SWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthood
If they don't get ALL the snakes this time around, they might have to make periodic re-deployments of the mouse paratroopers.

I see it becoming a sort of festival, with Tshirts and concerts and fireworks - but each firework would actually be a tiny cannon sending a poisoned mouse corpse deep into the jungle...
Captcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*scanning for the obvious meme*

*meme not found*

*launching meme*

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING LAND
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
SWest
Santa Poopsie...

SWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To say nothing of the smell.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
Don't say that!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
SWest
Santa Poopsie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
Don't say that!!!
Dogs are just as susceptible to acetominophen toxicity as other non-human species. And they will eat dead...anything.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Captcha

Captcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthoodCaptcha is a candidate for sainthood
But the mice are going to be stuck in trees where the dogs can't get them? And we might be talking about deep jungle, where there aren't domestic dogs, at least.

I hope. The festival idea goes out the window if it turns into a ceremony of mourning for the family pet.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
SWest
Santa Poopsie...

Well, there's the mice drops.

Then there are snakes potentially predating them. And, you know, not knowing they're meant to quarantine themselves in the jungle until they die and decompose...
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
I see it becoming a sort of festival, with Tshirts and concerts and fireworks - but each firework would actually be a tiny cannon sending a poisoned mouse corpse deep into the jungle...
*snicker*

Quote:
Unless the snakes already ate them. Then think about it as revenge.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, this is gonna turn out just peachy.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
F.L.N
The Old Curmudgeon

F.L.N is on a distinguished road
I wounder if Guam has any endangered birds?
Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers
F.L.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Kaiser-Kun
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.L.N View Post
I wounder if Guam has any endangered birds?
Not anymore, it hasn't.

Quote:
The reason it never happened before was for fear that crows might eat the mice instead, but now all the crows have conveniently been eaten by brown tree snakes so it's all systems go...

... So scientists have come up with a solution, the only logical one really: fill a bunch of dead mice with painkillers, give each corpse a tiny parachute, and throw them all out of helicopters into the jungle.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Cats could too. They are even more sensitive to acetaminophen toxicity.

Actually, they are probably more likely to eat the mice. Not that the snakes won't eat them, but they prefer live meals. A lot of snakes won't eat dead prey. I see this turning out very badly.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori1977 View Post
Cats could too.
Frankly, I don't care so much about the cat thing. But Malaya (as was) did something very similar to this after the war and it didn't end well....
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Frankly, I don't care so much about the cat thing. But Malaya (as was) did something very similar to this after the war and it didn't end well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Santayana
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #21
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sometimes when all you have left is bad options, you have to pick one. Probably trying to eradicate the snakes is better than doing nothing.
clintl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #22
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Are we just assuming a dessert in guam is filled with dogs?

ETA: forgot to say, this is really cool, and also hilarious and also interesting. Thanks for posting it.

And this from NPR

Quote:
Scientists don't think the mice bombs will be a threat to other animals, so long as they get caught in the jungle canopy. There aren't many birds left on the island — because of the snakes.

Last edited by missesdash; 02-24-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: not quite sure what I meant to say o_O
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #23
SomethingOrOther
In Time-Out For My Sins

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Don't say that!!!
Quote:
Dogs are just as susceptible to acetominophen toxicity as other non-human species. And they will eat dead...anything.

Roof roof roof roof roooof roof roof; roof roof roof roof hope rooof, woofingly woof. Woofwoof growwrrlrrllll! Roof persevere roof.
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #24
robeiae
The Emperor of Wyoming

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the mice all land on one side of the island, it's possible Guam may tip over.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #25
Captcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
If the mice all land on one side of the island, it's possible Guam may tip over.
Never stops blowing my mind.