Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
AllieB
permaflounced

AllieB is well-respected
My Thoughts After One Whole Week of Self-Publishing

Hi gang,

Thought I might share my experiences in this arena, though they're non-traditional. I'm published in the romance genre through 2 different small presses (I write contemporary/sensual, which isn't one of the big-selling romance subgenres, but anyway...). My next novel comes out in May, and late last year I started thinking about getting the rights back to my earliest novel which has never sold well (variety of reasons) and re-release it myself as part of KDP on Amazon.

My primary reason for doing this was early 2013 promotion and to try and drive sales for my May release. I got my rights back in January, commissioned a new cover, had it formatted for the Kindle, and released it on Feb.12 of this year. Cost to me for that was approximately $200 ($100 for a new cover and $90 for the formatting - I had a .mobi file and a PDF done as well). I should note that I added 3 scenes to the story (it's approx. 60K words) and a minor character who's going to be the hero in my May release (again, trying to drum up interest in that book). Otherwise, everything remained the same. This means that the editing had already been done (I know this is a concern and a cost for self-pubbers).

I've priced it at $.99 through February to draw sales and then will bump it up (probably to $2.99) in March. I have 2 different blog tours planned for March and April and have booked cover ads on romance reader websites. I plan on using the Amazon 5 free day promotion at the beginning of May, the week before my new release comes out.

I blogged more here about sales so far and the promo efforts that seem to be connected to them. Overall, for me it hasn't been a painful process, but I think that's because I was already familiar with publishing. I admire everyone who's doing it with their first baby (or subsequent babies but I would caution, from reading a lot of these threads, that there's a lot to take into consideration, some of which I talked about in my blog.

I'm happy to chat more about my experiences as the weeks go on, and once my May book comes out. Any questions, fire away
AllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Fascinating! Looks like a solid plan and I wish you many successes!

I'll follow along and watch how things are working out for you.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Ann Joyce
It's all about grace

Ann Joyce has a spectacular aura
I too, will be following your SP journey and wish you all the best!

Heart Song on Amazon
Ann Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looking forward to following your journey, AllieB!

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
WriterBN
practical experience, FTW

WriterBN is well-respected
Congrats! Self-publishing itself is easy, if you take some time to research the process. Marketing and selling books--now, that's another beast altogether
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

NottiThistledore is on a distinguished road
Best of luck with it, Allie. You sound like you have a solid game plan.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Norman D Gutter
Engineer Sonneteer

Norman D Gutter should run for PresidentNorman D Gutter should run for PresidentNorman D Gutter should run for PresidentNorman D Gutter should run for PresidentNorman D Gutter should run for PresidentNorman D Gutter should run for President
Good luck, AllieB. I hope you have many sales.

NDG

My author page at Amazon's Kindle Store.
Norman D Gutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
AllieB
permaflounced

AllieB is well-respected
Thanks, all Yes, WriterBN, marketing is a challenge all its own!
AllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Celeste Carrara

Celeste Carrara is well-respected
I'll be following your journey! I also took a look at your blog and enjoyed reading it. I wish you the best of luck!
Celeste Carrara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
SelmaW
Follow your heart; take your brain

SelmaW is well-respected
I also enjoyed checking out your blog, Allie! Best luck with the journey
SelmaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
OliverCrown
Puttin' daydreams to paper

OliverCrown is on a distinguished road
Good luck AllieB! We're all pulling for you!

Bleeding of the Heart, available on Amazon and CreateSpace.
OliverCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
Robert Gonko

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
I've just self-published my first book and let me tell you, it's been an eye opening experience. Writing is easy for me compared to marketing. Good luck to you!
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
LongWave

LongWave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
Hi gang,

Thought I might share my experiences in this arena, though they're non-traditional. I'm published in the romance genre through 2 different small presses (I write contemporary/sensual, which isn't one of the big-selling romance subgenres, but anyway...). My next novel comes out in May, and late last year I started thinking about getting the rights back to my earliest novel which has never sold well (variety of reasons) and re-release it myself as part of KDP on Amazon.

My primary reason for doing this was early 2013 promotion and to try and drive sales for my May release. I got my rights back in January, commissioned a new cover, had it formatted for the Kindle, and released it on Feb.12 of this year. Cost to me for that was approximately $200 ($100 for a new cover and $90 for the formatting - I had a .mobi file and a PDF done as well). I should note that I added 3 scenes to the story (it's approx. 60K words) and a minor character who's going to be the hero in my May release (again, trying to drum up interest in that book). Otherwise, everything remained the same. This means that the editing had already been done (I know this is a concern and a cost for self-pubbers).

I've priced it at $.99 through February to draw sales and then will bump it up (probably to $2.99) in March. I have 2 different blog tours planned for March and April and have booked cover ads on romance reader websites. I plan on using the Amazon 5 free day promotion at the beginning of May, the week before my new release comes out.

I blogged more here about sales so far and the promo efforts that seem to be connected to them. Overall, for me it hasn't been a painful process, but I think that's because I was already familiar with publishing. I admire everyone who's doing it with their first baby (or subsequent babies but I would caution, from reading a lot of these threads, that there's a lot to take into consideration, some of which I talked about in my blog.

I'm happy to chat more about my experiences as the weeks go on, and once my May book comes out. Any questions, fire away
How did your sales look after the price change?
LongWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck, Allie, and nice blog btw. I've indied a back-list title just to see what would happen, and it has been an experience, I can tell you. Not bad, not great, but good reception.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
Tigerlilly79
Maybe I should see someone . . .

Tigerlilly79 is on a distinguished road
Good luck. I'll be self-pubbing my first once my covers done. Keep us posted.

FACEBOOK

You are responsible for the talent you have been entrusted with. Go work with it.

Tigerlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote