Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
SomethingOrOther
In Time-Out For My Sins

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Collaborate With Famous Authors (by Google)

http://www.google.com/campaigns/gonegoogle/demos.html

It lets you work alongside Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky, Dickinson, Dickens, and Poe.

So far my piece isn't coming along all that well. We still need to discover our team chemistry.
"Once upon a time, there was a monkey who loved to play with bananas", he growled incoherently. He was a snub-nosed, flat-browed, common-faced boy; he got a banana from the market and chucked it at a stranger, who said, "Ouch, you're a monkey who just chucked a banana at me!" ... Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.
The last sentence was Dickens's—after a short pause on my part.

edit: Shakespeare just changed "man" to "wretched soul bruised with adversity."

edit 2: I just typed "Shakespeare is very wordy," and Shakespeare *immediately* jumped in and tacked on "the handsome and lovely" to the beginning, which Poe just as quickly changed to "the dreadful and lonely."

Share your passages if you come up with anything.

Last edited by SomethingOrOther; 03-16-2013 at 12:30 AM.
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
heza
practical experience, FTW

heza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthoodheza is a candidate for sainthood
They were mostly just doing the same thing over and over again when I tried, but on my third attempt, they got into a little war.

I had written "Dickens is repetitive." Then Emily immediately changed it to Dickinson. Charles changed it back to Dickens. She changed it, again, to Dickinson. And then he abruptly changed it to Oliver Twist. So Oliver Twist is repetitive, according to Dickens.

ETA: hahaha.... now, Dickens wrote something, and then Poe changed "place" to "dark unfathomed space". I wrote "Poe makes things darker." Emily added "Edgar the ever tormented and woeful soul;"... and then Poe made a

ETA2:... I tried to add another line, but Poe backed it up and wrote THE END. I guess he's done.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

Last edited by heza; 03-16-2013 at 01:34 AM.
heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
TNK
#Soon

TNK is a shiny, shiny jewelTNK is a shiny, shiny jewel
Lol! This was awesome! I got into a little war also. They kept making everything I typed make no sense.

Can I post the whole thing here?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Poe seems to have this thing that he wants to add adverbs everywhere.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
M.T.Logue
The T is for Trying to Stop Lurking

M.T.Logue has a spectacular aura
Poe just wrote "I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat"... Not as dialogue, or a coherent part of the story. Apparently Poe just really likes cats.
M.T.Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nietzsche just added something stupid, so I inserted the line "'You idiot,' I said." Shakespeare edited it to "Thou idiot."

Result = Genius, clearly!

Quote:
On an exceptionally hot evening in Guatemala, I ordered a beer. An hour behind the fleeting noon --
"A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends."
"Thou idiot," I said. "Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him."
"I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat."
"I wish you could, too. When does the revolution eagerly begin?"
The trams had not lithely dashed for hours. [ETA:] I do not wish to make myself a laughing stock before these fools.
I'm not sure how I feel about this app's assumption that the Masters were all about modifiers.

ETA: Oh, while I wasn't looking, Dostoyevksy added that last one. He's my new favorite.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.

Last edited by muravyets; 03-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's mine:

Quote:
My coffee was very rimy! I distinctly had no idea why. As well as inappropriate adverbs kept popping into my head. Quite why, I do absolutely know. They, who didn't smell the fire burning, change my sentences into nonsense. Why does this keep inevitably happening? And these unnecessary adverbs are fit to drive me crazed! Mad, I hushedly tell you! However, shush, be quiet. There are those that are deeply slumbering. Their luminous windows twitch and lips tremble. They dream within a dream of chasing rabbits. " Ears flapping and paws thumping" said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper. But shush here voraciously comes the cat. An hour behind the fleeting breath... Let not sloth dim your horrors new-begot.
This is great fun!

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dickens and Poe are just damned annoying. Nietzsche was the only one who made a change I approve of.

I started with this:
Quote:
My first class, United States History, started at eight. Navigating to the classroom wasnt that difficult. I followed James down the hall. He barely showered not four minutes ago. Id taken mine the night before.
And watched them edit it to this:
Quote:
To love is so startling it leaves... My inaugural class, United States History, started at eight. "Navigating to the classroom wasnt that difficult" replied Oliver, "I want some more". I trailed James down the hall. He barely showered absolutely four minutes ago. Id taken mine the night before. I do not wish to make myself a laughing-stock before these idle listeners.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fun!

Not supposed to post fun things that take up time.....

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You are all evil. TV Tropes wasn't enough of a time-waster? I am trying to resist feeding a paragraph from an eighties romance novel through the ringer, to see what results.

And I'm on a deadline, too. Shame on you.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote something, I can't remember now what the heck it was and somebody typed something ridiculous, to which I replied, "REALLY?" Which was instantly changed to "Doth thou jest?" That's funny. . .

That was my first mistake.
/my little blog/

kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Which was instantly changed to "Doth thou jest?"
Who would have thought Shakespeare wrote so poorly? It should have been "Dost thou jest?"
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular auraJournoWriter has a spectacular aura
I plopped in some Shakespeare, and everyone had their way with it, even Shakespeare:

Alas, poor Yorick! Nevermore! I instinctually knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: a swaggering scoundrel, he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; as well as now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where zealously be your gibes now? In everything one great engine forcing itself through turbid water is impossible: rationality. your
gambols? your songs? Thy flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the iniquitous altar on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite cha Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.p-fallen? There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.
Now get you to my lady's chamber, and hushedly tell her, let
her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
Voraciously come; make her wretched cry at that. Prithee, Horatio, tell me one marvelous, gentle, even magnanimous thing.
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
This is very amusing. Certainly needs tweaking though - if the word "he" appears a bunch of times in the first paragraph, the AIs should figure out not to suddenly switch to second person. And they need more of a mad-libs approach where they echo back your choice of nouns.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
James D. Macdonald: Who would have thought Shakespeare wrote so poorly? It should have been "Dost thou jest?"
I just tried it again. This time I typed REALLY??!! :-) which was instantly changed to SAYST THOU SO??!! :-(

That was my first mistake.
/my little blog/

kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
flapperphilosopher
practical experience, FTW

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Hahaha, I love it!!! My stupid computer keeps freezing though, because it's a piece of crap (sssh, don't tell it I said that). I hope I can play later!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Hehe Poe just changed 'sugar' to 'grains of golden sand.'

The sad thing is this actually got me writing. And then, just as a story was starting to emerge...Poe stepped in and typed 'THE END'

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote