Querying an agent in a different country?

Emerald

Registered
Reaction score
Is this possible? Say I live in Australia (which I do) and I find several agents I really like the sound of that work in the US. Can I query them, is it advisable, would they even accept someone's query outside the States?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what she said. You can also look at UK agents, though some of them prefer to keep their clients within the isles.

Steven Hutson

Registered
Reaction score
Note: In the event of a legal dispute, you could have some difficulty serving the other party with a summons. It happens. Many agents and publishers choose not to work internationally, for that very reason.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Note: In the event of a legal dispute, you could have some difficulty serving the other party with a summons. It happens. Many agents and publishers choose not to work internationally, for that very reason.

Rubbish. No publishers or agents worth submitting to refuse to accept manuscripts from authors in other countries.

Seriously. Name five top agents and five top publishers who don't work internationally.

tesla

Registered
Reaction score

One of the reasons I signed with my agent over others offering was because of the strong international presence her agency had. Because of her international experience, she was able to secure me deals in the UK and Germany as well as the US. I would have made substantially less money if she'd had no international connections and just sold world rights to my US publisher.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I signed with my agent over others offering was because of the strong international presence her agency had. Because of her international experience, she was able to secure me deals in the UK and Germany as well as the US. I would have made substantially less money if she'd had no international connections and just sold world rights to my US publisher.

Good agents and agencies always have co-agents or offices to handle their international rights. This is a basic requirement. I'd be very wary of agents and agencies which don't have a way of dealing with foreign and translation rights.