Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reph

Crossing Over--without John Edwards

Oh, for God's sake, Uncle Jim! It wouldn't be impolite to post on the Without You thread. I opened it because people, including me, were cluttering your space with side comments. I notice that you haven't introduced any substantial new lessons here since that happened. Maybe if we all got out of your way, class would resume.

What was impolite was to say "Reph, you're wrong."

I'll go log in and, shortly after, change the name of the thread.

James D Macdonald

Re: Crossing Over--without John Edwards

What was impolite was to say "Reph, you're wrong."

I've gone back to edit that to read "Reph, I am unable to bring myself to agree."

Paul W West

And...? Are we going to continue this discussion or bow out to the competition?

I for one have been enjoying this immensely.

James D Macdonald

It's been the holidays (kids home from school) and a serious deadline (19 January).

I'll continue with Things About Writing pretty soon.

I need to go back through the back posts to see what things I've promised that I haven't talked about.

evanaharris

hey

Hey, Jim, would you mind if I collected all your posts thus far, organized them into a slightly more readable format and posted them on my website (or got them ready to post on yours?) It'd be easier for people to track down things that they wanted to read.

James D Macdonald

Re: hey

Hi, Evan --

I'll be away from on-line for two or three days.

Go ahead, post anything you like. But...

Please include a link to this discussion, and to our homepage.

MThomas2003

Query Letters

I hope you don't mind if I come back to this, Uncle Jim. My New Year's resolutions have me sending out more submissions, and I'm curious about your perfect query letter. Time was, the old formula had the author putting a one-paragraph "spiel" in the query itself. I assume this has changed because more agents/editors are asking for synops and outlines. However. If the agent/editor guidelines do not specifically request a synop or outline, (or sample chapters) what do you suggest? Go back to the old one paragraph spiel within the query, or sending a synop/outline anyway? Thanks for your time.

James D Macdonald

Re: Query Letters

If the guidelines don't specify what the editor or agent wants, write a letter (self-addressed stamped envelope included) asking if they'd like to see a synopsis, three-and-an-outline, or full text of your 100,000 word mystery/adventure story.

The most important thing is that you spell the editor's name right. The next most important thing is that you include that SASE.

If nothing is specified, I would go with a one-sentence length-and-genre description of the book.

HConn

Re: Query Letters

Jim, did you cover Slick Tricks to Outlining? Did I miss it?

If so, don't trouble yourself providing a link. I'll go back and find it.

qatz

Re: Return of the King

Uncle J., is it time to welcome you back, or shall we wait until after your 1/19 deadline? Q.

sugarmuffin

the first chapter

Jim,

A while back, you wrote about what to accomplish in the first chapter, including introducing the main character and setting a goal for him/her. Can you expound on that? When you say goal, are you talking about any action or are you talking about the big action -- the goal of the writer of the book as a whole?

example

Marshall has to get to the doctor to talk about his deviated septum.

or

Marshall has to become a better human being, including dealing with the issues surrounding his deviated septum.

Thanks,
Lisa

sugarmuffin

Er...was it something I said?

:eek: Was that a stupid question? Was I being too simplistic?

Lisa
Head Wigmaster
London Royal Opera House

Paul W West

Re: Er...was it something I said?

I think it's a perfectly good question. It's just that "Uncle" Jim has abandoned us for a while.

emeraldcite

i think uncle jim has a deadline to meet.

sugarmuffin

Er...was it something I said?

I thought it was a pretty reasonable question, but with no response on a pretty active thread...I was starting to get a rash:lol

qatz

fine question sugar, great monniker too by the way, it's just that unk is on a tear this week; should be done soon. cant rush perfection
,,, or complexion or whatever

Eric

James D Macdonald

Re: the first chapter

That's a good question, sugarmuffin, and one that doesn't have a simple answer.

But that's not going to stop me from trying to give you a simple answer anyway.

At first, the protagonist only needs enough of a goal to get the reader to follow along. This can be a small goal, easily accomplished. It can, for example, be our hero's attempt to get a ham sandwich.

Later on, the larger goals will appear. The character may not know what they are for dozens or hundreds of pages. Some of the goals may not be apparent until the reader has finished the book and is sitting there thinking about it. Some goals along the way may be false goals.

Nevertheless, the character needs to be doing something other than wandering aimlessly at the beginning, lest the readrer only follow along out of idle curiosity.

This isn't to say that you aren't going to be foreshadowing that big, main goal in that first chapter. Foreshadowing is part of what makes the ending you select seem so very right for your book.

The trick to foreshadowing is to put it in during the second draft, when you know how everything is going to turn out.

sugarmuffin

the first chapter

Thanks for the response.

The funny thing is, so far in the first couple of pages-- which I'm not sure I'll keep -- he is actually stopping at a deli to get a cheese sandwich!

I think I mentioned this in my first post, but I have been trying to do this for a long time; been to a number of writing workshops over the years in the Boston area where I live, even one in Italy. Have a writer's mind, but I realize that I really need structure. Hearing Uncle Jim say what a first chapter should include was like an aha for me, simple as it sounds. I've written lots of bits and pieces of things, have been a paid writer and written a few technical manuals, managed other folks writing technical stuff, but the novel has eluded me.

So thanks for sharing your brainstuff and experience here, Jim, it has given me some inspiration.

Lisa

And thanks too Eric. Did you really go to that colony?

qatz

Thank you, Lisa. I just hang around here; Jim does the heavy lifting. The trip to the leper colony was imaginary; just a way to shift out of some old ruts into new ones. It turned out to be a short story which I have not posted. If you want to see it, feel free to contact me directly if you wish, or post on the Serious Question thread. My guess is Jim will re-start this thread in earnest soon, and I don't want to get in his way.
Best, E.

AsianJournals

Hello all. I have been lurking for around two weeks now and have had a great time! There are a lot of talented people here. It’s a shame there is so much in-fighting though as it detracts from the purpose of this board. It is difficult enough for a newbie to feel comfortable posting without all the intimidation and nastiness going on.

Thanks for all the great advice that is being bandied around, it is appreciated. Also, thank you to Jim for the enormous effort he is putting in.

Chris…

James D Macdonald

Hi, AsianJournals.

The funny thing about the Grammar Wars is this:

Grammar isn't really that important.

Once you've gotten up to a workmanlike level, when you're not actively bad, it doesn't matter all that much. If you get one of those PSAT prep books or programs, and you get to the point where you are aceing the grammar section, you're good enough.

You can get farther with excellent grammar and a plot than you can with excellent grammar alone.

Story will get you through times with no style better than style will get you through times with no story.

Your publisher will hire people with excellent grammar to fix yours, provided you've written a compelling story. Your publisher hired you to provide that story.

James D Macdonald

Re: Lime Pie

The Infamous Lime Pie Recipe was back on page 19 of this thread. I promised "More on this anon," but never got to the "anon" part.

Here's more:

The pie tastes just the same, but it looks a lot better, if you make swirls and peaks on the top layer of meringue.

And:

Viewed objectively, all you really have is a very fancy plate of scrambled eggs.

I trust I don't need to explain those two metaphors as they relate to writing your stories?

========

Show of hands: How many have done their two hours today? How many have finished a book and want to revise it?

LiamJackson

Re: Lime Pie

Two hours and counting, here. The first draft is complete, (97,000 for those interested) and I'm currently working on the revision.

The second novel is coming a bit slower, and registers an anemic 40K+.

Status
Not open for further replies.