Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D Macdonald

Yet Another Annoying Internet Quiz

<a href="http://quizilla.com/users/edeainfj/quizzes/What%20kind%20of%20writer%20are%20you%3F/" target="_new">What Kind of Writer Are You?</a>

To what should be no one 's surprise, I'm a "Plot Writer."

MacAl Stone

Re: online quiz

character/dialogue writer, here...I love these online quizzes...gives me something to do when I'm awake in the middle of the night.

Oh, and Uncle Jim--how would you like the compilation sent, to what address? I'm anxious to stop being responsible for it, in the eyes of all the nice people here--before you do too many more of those helpful and articulate multi-page posts. My ez inbox is enabled, if you'd rather reply there, or I did note the doylemacdonald sff.net address on your website.

Mac

James D Macdonald

The Compilation

yog (at) sff (dot) net or doylemacdonald (at) sff (dot) net are both working addresses for me.

.rtf format, as an attachment.

Stephenie Hovland

I'm a plot writer. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. I don't really enjoy books that employ weak plots. And, my writing stalls when the plot isn't clear.

But, I've got a loooooooong way to go before I'm a GOOD plot writer.

Stephenie

Jules Hall

The test

"Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Didn't realise this thread was popular enough to do that :)

Chris Goja

Plottery

Hardly surprised to "find out" I'm a plot writer... Still, it's reassuring to know that I haven't inadvertently been writing crossover smut!

An a vaguely related topic: Are there really no volonteers to be Betas for Silent Knight, formerly known as the Assignment (tm)?

aka eraser

Re: what kind of writer

dialogue/character..which is accurate I suppose. I talk alot and don't have much of a clue where it's going to lead.

PixelFish

Plot writer. Which is kinda off, I think, because I consider plot to be my weakness. I'm trying to get the story down now, instead of lingering on the pretty (and overly descriptive) pictures my head makes, but sometimes I have to just vomit a giant chunk of description to get it out of my head.

MacAl Stone

Re: Silent Knight and related...

Chris, I'd be happy to read it.

As to sending the rtf file....errrr...I'd be happy to, if I knew how to convert my wpd file to an rtf...it doesn't seem to be one of the options offered by my lowly wordperfect 11...and I picked up a nasty case of adware last night surfing the web looking for a download to buy to MAKE it happen...and an ugly little virus slipped in with the adware through my apparently inadequate firewall, so I was up most of the night eradicating both. (the virus flushed pretty fast, the ad-ware was much more stubborn.) Thank GAWD I'm a safety girl and run a virus scan every night before I power down.

I swear to god these things just get smarter and smarter. One of them is going to develop sentience, crawl from the primordial ooze of the world wide web, gather an army of little virus thugs, then take over the government--Oh wait--that may have already happened...

If any of you techno wizards can direct me, I'd be much obliged. I'm just muddling along here, with no real training or background--but I follow directions well.

Mac

jeffspock

Re: For Our Toolbag

Dramatic irony (DI) is an interesting topic, because I tend to write automatically in first person. Given that one experiences the plot in real time with the protag, there is little if any scope for dramatic irony (there are exceptions; i.e. to continue the Lord High Plotmeister's example a biography of Pickett told in 1P, or perhaps alternating 1Ps between protag and antag, etc.).

I have always been a huge fan, for example, of the styles of Chandler and Parker.

Part of my dislike of 3D person and dramatic irony is that there are some genres where it gets so over-used that I feel like I am getting plot hints beaten into me with Nerf bats. For instance, I went through a period of reading too much Clancy and I became tremendously annoyed with his plot tricks. There seemed to be too much "Aren't I clever? Look at all of the plot lines I can handle simultaneously! Look at my scope of intellect and my ability to research excrutiating details on so many different locales, social groups, and technologies! Isn't this rich and multi-textured?"

No. It's overwrought, pointless, confusing, tedious, egocentric, unfocussed, and ultimately dull.

It seems to me that many genres that apply DI with a spackling trowel do it badly. The high-tech thriller seems to be particularly guilty of this; I would say that most teen slasher horror flicks are equally guilty (No! Don't open that door! We know that the mutant killer monster cousin psycho vampire misfit nerd loser with the nuclear-powered cattle prod is hiding there!).

As far as the SF genre goes, one novel that I recall reading that had a multitude of viewpoints, quite a few plot threads, and all sorts of inter-thread dramatic irony, was "Startide Rising." And it was not a bad one, either.

Enough.

Jeff

jeffspock

Re: Yet Another Annoying Internet Quiz

Well, call me odd man out.

I'm a "Narrative writer."

This means that I go on and on about boring crap that nobody wants to...

Hey, are you still awake?

James D Macdonald

The Transcript

WordPerfect? It should have a "Save As" entry under "File," where you can save as .RTF.

I use WordPerfect myself (ver. 10 -- I don't know if it'll read version 11 files).

<hR>

On computer safety:

<a href="http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp" target="_new">Zone Alarm freeware firewall</a>

<a href="http://www.lavasoft.de/" target="_new">AdAware freeware spyware removal</a>

<a href="http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm" target="_new">AVG freeware antivirus</a>

<a href="http://popfile.sourceforge.net/" target="_new">Popfile freeware spam filter</a>

<a href="http://www.greyware.com/software/grr/" target="_new">Grr! shareware registry protection</a>

aka eraser

Mac, I also use WordPerfect (version 9). Jim's answer is right but he's not a techno-dweeb so I'll elaborate for them of us as are. ;)

Click 'File,' then 'Save As.' Below 'File name' at the bottom, where you normally type in your title, you'll see 'File type.' The default there is your version of WP. To the right is a tab. Click on it and it will open a sub-menu of files you can convert to and save as. One of them will be rtf. Click it and it will take the place of your default WP file. Then click save.

Presto! You have a rich text file. :bang

Joanclr

Re: For Our Toolbag

Haha! I did the quiz and I'm an "Angst writer"! It says: "You enjoy making people suffer. Your writing is often poignant and poetic, but be careful not to overdo it. A little humor or light can transform melodrama into beauty." LOL Well, obviously it's just a quiz, but oddly enough that does seem to be somewhat my style :rollin

Joan

Yeshanu

Angst

Angst writer here.

Mac, are you sure you're a character/dialogue writer?
That bit about the computer virus developing sentience and crawling from the primordial ooze to take over the government is either sci-fi (one of the choices) or ivestigative reporting. Either way, you might have a story there!

Ruth

Beaver

Plot writer

Plot writer here. This doesn't surprise me because i like to read books with strong, fast paced plots, such as thrillers.

Reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons at the moment. I read it until 330 in the morning last night. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good fast paced page-turner.

Anyway, not surprised, but like someone said above, I have a long way to go before im a good plot writer.

*Sigh* :cry

Beaver :hat

maestrowork

Character/dialogue writer is great... as we all know, the best plot is driven by great characters and sustained by wonderful dialogues :) I mean, think about the best movies in the past century. Do you remember the plot more, or the characters?

Plot vs. character driven stories... I enjoyed "Angels and Demons" as well, for what it is -- a thriller. Do I really care about the characters? Not really. But it's an entertaining read (I enjoyed it better than "Da Vinci Code" which I think is poor in character, dialogue, as well as plot. I can smell the plot twists from a mile away -- I expected more with a thriller). But the books I truly appreciate are usually rich in characters and themetically profound.

Dramatic irony and first person. I write in first person most of the time, and I have no problem using dramatic irony. You give the readers enough hint and they would have guessed what has happened or what is going to happen, but your first-person character is clueless. Or, you lead the readers to think one thing and the protagonist thinks he knows what is going on, then deliver something different -- surprise!

Chris Goja

Thanx in advance

MacAl, for your kind offer. I'll post it over at Share Your Work any day - as soon as I've had time to go through it once more myself - and I'll be sure to let you know.

MacAl Stone

Re: techno-challenged

It's always about the characters--why the Uber-virus hates and fears his creators--why his creators cringe from him, with terror and disgust...

Thanks for the file tips, ya'll...seems so simple, now that you point it out, and I convert graphics files like that, all the time, but just didn't connect that it's the same difference. It'll go off to Uncle Jim for his perusal as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Mac

qatz

well, of course mac is right

which is why i'm taking the trouble to say so.

at its most fundamental, plot is a device meant to show the development of character.

James D Macdonald

More on Slush

Hints for writers:

The spell checker in your word processor doesn't relieve you of the necessity to proofread your flippin' text.

There, they're, and their are different words. Two, too, and to are different words. It's and its mean different things.

Outside the window she heard a redundant owl.

Can someone tell me just what the hey that's supposed to mean? There was one more owl than she needed? Guys, if you don't know what a word means, look it up. If you think you know what a word means, but it isn't a word you use every day, look it up.

<hr>

On plot-driven vs. character-driven stories: I think all stories are both plot and character driven. The difference is in the mix -- some have more of one, some more of the other.

<hr>

You want characters? I got <a href="http://www.black-ink.org/fightcrime.htm" target="_new">characters</a>.

qatz

well, jim,

hahahehehehehHAHAHAHOIOHGOOHOOHAHAHeheheheh.

heheehehehehhwqashahahahaqhahoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoowpoo haw whehehe hooohooohoo

Status
Not open for further replies.