Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D Macdonald

Re: RTF

Chris:

.RTF is a file protocol. It stands for Rich Text Format. Your wordprocessor should have it as an option under "Save As."

The nice thing about .RTF is that any wordprocessor can open a RTF saved by any other wordprocessor and maintain formatting, and RTF won't carry macro viruses.

<hR>

Some great advice <a href="http://www.highclearing.com/archivesuo/week_2004_05_09.html#005326" target="_new">here</a>. Although it's specifically about poetry, it's applicable to writing in general:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>What would I recommend as far as "trying your hand?" Start by slavishly imitating poets you admire. This is the opposite of the standard advice that you need to concentrate on "finding your own voice." ... Your own voice will take care of itself as your craft matures. Your own voice will, if you're going to have one, insist on emerging. In the meantime, learn the craft. <hr></blockquote>

MacAl Stone

Re: Learn Writing with Uncle Jim

Jim said, back on page 66 of this thread, "What I do for fun is my own business, y'know. Just because someone's become a major league ball player doesn't mean he can't knock a few balls around with friends at a picnic, right?"

Jim, I know that you have collected a number of thank-you's from the regular readers and posters on this thread. However, "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" has reached a size and significance that I, personally, think those rather off-handed "thank you" statements--my own included--are completely inadequate in comparison to the untold hours you put into posting here, elsewhere in the novels thread, background check, and elsewhere on the net.

Thank you. You donate a huge amount of time, thought, and dedication to the cause of struggling new writers. You demonstrate a generosity with your time and experience that overwhelms me. You certainly could choose to spend this time you spend helping us, somewhere more likely to be of personal benefit to you and yours. I like to think I'm speaking for pretty much all of us--but whether or not that's true, I am definitely speaking for myself.

And if this post is too profoundly embarrassing, let me know, and I'll modify or remove it.

ChunkyC

Re: Learn Writing with Uncle Jim

Amen, Mac. Every teacher deserves an apple from his students every now and then. Consider mine placed on your desk, Uncle Jim.

MacAl Stone

Re: Cholesterol

An apple, Chunky? Hell, he deserves a cherry-restored e-series Jag convertible...hard to fit that on his desk, though.

ChunkyC

Re: e-type Jag

If all of us at AW chipped in twenty bucks each, we could probably pull it off...then again, Jim, you'd end up spending the rest of your life giving us each a ride.

HollyB

Learn Writing with Uncle Jim

I agree with you, Mac. I've been lurking and learning an amazing amount from reading this thread... Just from this one thread, I've made a resolution to BIC, dump my prologue, and trim the fat. In fact, I'm going to completely rewrite my manuscript -- retyping from hard copy!

Thank you Jim, and also all the other authors posting on the thread. I'll keep following along (even if I'm quiet)!

Fresie

If all of us at AW chipped in twenty bucks each, we could probably pull it off...

Or, as I've already calculated, if I put aside twenty bucks for every chapter I finish, I'll have enough by the end of this novel to submit it to Uncle Jim for a look-over! :money :money :money

LiamJackson

<<An apple, Chunky? Hell, he deserves a cherry-restored e-series Jag convertible...hard to fit that on his desk, though.>>

Heh, and to think I sent him a crummy patch.

James D Macdonald

Punctuation

Punctuation, yes. What do you want to know?

(Punctuation tells us when to breathe.)

James D Macdonald

Punctuation

Okay, here's a rule for you:

You are allowed one exclamation point per novel. Use it wisely.

Jules Hall

Exclamation marks

<trys again after internet exploder ate the last post>

A quick "find" shows me I have 11 of them after 100,000 words, all of which are within dialogue. I take it this isn't good.

I'm just wondering how to fix it now. Do I rewrite the dialogue with a tag explaining how it should be delivered? I prefer to avoid tags wherever possible, and most of these lines are currently untagged. Are there any other techniques that would help?

James D Macdonald

Re: Exclamation marks

No, Jules. I'm exagerating. A little.

You'll need to hold a gun to each exclamation point's head and make it justify its existence.

maestrowork

Re: Blush

This is absurd!! I don't buy it!!!!!!! Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin

macalicious731

Re: Punctuation

Do I have to use the exclamation point? Rather than holding a gun to its head, you might have to point it at me.

maestrowork

L'il Mac. It's kind of weird to have this dialogue:

"Stop," the cop shouted.

.. instead of...

"Stop!" the cop shouted.

macalicious731

Maestro,

"Stop!" is not a dialogue I have written, nor do I have any characters who are cops. :grin

No, but really, I hate exlamation points. I avoid them at all costs. I can't remember the last time I used one, although I would make the exception if it was a case similiar to what you mentioned. Fluidity is key, of course.

<3

maestrowork

Re: Blush

Lil Mac, do not avoid anything like a plague. To do so only hinders you as a writer. If you find yourself wanting to write "Stop!" then write it. You can always change your mind later and find better dialogues, but there are times when your characters need to exclaim. Are you going to stop them from doing so because you hate using exclamation point? The punctuation exists for a reason. Use it and use it well... the latter being the key.

jeffspock

Re: Punctuation

Ohhhh, now I get it.

Exclamation points are like adverbs, right? Considered to be in bad taste, if not illegal, unless bodices are actually in the process of being ripped.

KyleDHebert

length, as in how long

I've read very page, I promise, so please forgive me if this has already been answered.

I am currently revising my first MS. When I started putting it all down on the page I wrote and wrote and wrote until I was done. I will admit that I was shooting for 100K words the entire time and got fairly close.

What I've found during the revision process is that a lot of the original words were unnecessary, and some of the "scenes" as I like to think of them didn't fit as well as I thought. Now I'm down to about half my original draft, let's say 50K words.

My question is do novels have to be a certain length, and if so what is that length? How do I know when I'm beyond the realm of a short story?

James D Macdonald

Re: length, as in how long

A story is as long as it is. Make sure all your words are the right ones. When you have only the right words, and all the right words, then look for a market that accepts material like yours. All markets are looking for the right words; none are looking for the wrong words.

50K words is a novel. To be commercial -- is there a subplot that perhaps needs a bit of firming up to properly counterpoint the main plot? See if there's 10K of character development or theme that got slighted in the pruning, or was never written in the first place.

If not--50K it is, and start sending it out (usual cautions about beta readers, reading it aloud, and so on).

Meanwhile, you aren't excused from your requirement to spend two hours today writing original prose.

Status
Not open for further replies.