Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate Nepveu

Re: synopsis

One example synopsis can be found at SFWA. Anyone have others? We should collect links and submit it for the FAQ.

SRHowen

Titles

On titles--all titles are working titles, publishers often "sugest" a new one, once you get that far.

I always have a title in mind when I start working, it's part of the process for me.

Shawn (trying to type with 22 pound cat sitting in my way)

maestrowork

You should prepare three versions of your synopsis:

One for your best friend at a leisurely dinner party, one for a business associate by the water cooler, and one for a total stranger stuck with you in an elevator.

A logline is one that you make for the time when someone stops you on your way to the bathroom, ready to explode.

macalicious731

apostrophe s

Okay... grammar stuff.

1980's or 1980s?
CD's or CDs?

I always thought it was the latter. But now I'm seeing the first ('s) more and more, in both situations. Neither context is possessive.

You wouldn't say 'compact disc's.'
I would think decades would be the same. ... :shrug

James D Macdonald

Re: apostrophe s

Me, I don't use the apostrophes. But remember that an apostrophe doesn't mean possession -- it means that one or more letter was left out. (In the case of possessives, the letter is 'e').

maestrowork

I was born in the 1980s (or '80s).

I like to count the years in 3s or 4s, but watch out of the 3's and 4's.

pdr

Apostrophes

As I understand it 1980's needs an apostrophe because you are talking about the group of years that make the decade. These years are of the 1980's, they belong to the 1980's.
In the case of CDs that is the plural form so I'd expect to write it without an apostrophe. I think the problem arises because people use their computer speller checkers. Those darned things all seem to want to put an apostrophe in words like CDs!

reph

Re: apostrophe s

No, 1980s doesn't need an apostrophe. It shouldn't have one. It's simply a plural noun, the plural of 1980.

1980's would be the possessive of 1980, as in "I can't remember a single one of 1980's front-page news stories." 1980s' would be the possessive of 1980s, as in "The 1980s' children are young adults now." Realistic examples are hard to come by; we don't usually use the possessive of years or decades.

JuliePgh

Genres - definitions

I'm not sure how to classify my book in a query letter. I've always used SF&F as a catch all when talking to friends, but I've also heard the term 'space opera' which might apply. Thank you.

Poe Me

chiming in

I would like to chime in and add my apple to the no doubt all ready covered teacher's desk. Thanks Uncle Jim for starting this thread and also for so faithfully keeping it going. There has been a lot of good info covered here, and I'm sure there is lots more to come.

Poe Me

James D Macdonald

Re: Genres - definitions

Call it "speculative fiction," and give the titles of a couple of books with the same look-and-feel....

Yeshanu

Re: Apostrophe s

I have a little book called "The Elements of Grammar" by Margaret Shertzer, which I purchased at the same time as my Strunk & White. She says:

"The 's may be added to figures, signs, symbols, and letters of the alphabet to form the plural. There is, however, a growing tendency to omit the apostrophe in such cases where there is no possibility of mistaking the meaning."

Therefore, according to her, using 1980s or 1980's is a matter of personal style. She does suggest that the 's be used in the case below:

"Your a's look very much like your o's.

Hope this helps.

Ruth

James D Macdonald

Another Toy

Another neat toy: <a href="http://www.morovia.com/education/utility/upc-ean.asp" target="_new">An ISBN Checksum Calculator</a>.

Simple things amuse me.

Jules Hall

Re: chiming in

Very handy. BTW: to convert an ISBN to a barcode, use EAN13, and put 978 followed by everything but the check digit of the ISBN, and calculate the correct EAN13 check digit for that.

EAN13 (...) check digit calculation is very similar to UPC-A.

Somebody's missed the point. UPC-A is EAN13 with the first digit set to zero.

KyleDHebert

The Slushpile

First of all does anyone know where I can find a list of publisher's that ARE accepting unsolicited manuscripts. I've been doing some extensive web trolling and have yet to stunble across a single one.

Secondly, does a publisher who doesn't accept unsoliciteds have a slush pile, or do they really discard every MS they receive?

How does a book actually end up on a slushpile?

James D Macdonald

Re: The Slushpile

All that "no unsolicited manuscripts" means is "send us a query letter first."

Yes, they still have slush piles. (If nothing else, then for the agented slush.)

For publishers that accept unsolicted manuscripts (John Wiley, for example), check Writer's Market.

Many (most?) small presses accept unsolicited manuscripts.

SFEley

The other day Uncle Jim wrote:
The editor is expecting around 5,000 words of active prose, single spaced, present tense, that tells the complete plot of the book with the major characters and major plot points fully laid out, including the surprise ending.

As it happens, I just finished mine, and it's pretty much what you describe. Someone asked about examples, so I may as well post the link:
Day of Clouds - Synopsis

I'm happy for you all to look at it if you want to, and interested in comments if you have any, but as a personal request, please don't go relinking that URL in other pages throughout the Web. (For one thing, it's my personal server so it probably couldn't handle heavy Web traffic; for another, I'd really prefer this thing not to show up as a high Google match.) Thanks.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

Terra Aeterna

Hey Steve,

Why did you put the chapter numbers in there?

I'm struggling with my own synopsis, so I'm very interested.

ChunkyC

Synopsis

Steve - thanks for posting that link to your synopsis. Very helpful, and I'm sure we'll all respect your wishes and not spread the link beyond here.

I too am curious about your reasoning behind including the chapter headings.

evanaharris

Re: Synopsis

I'd imagine it's primarily because each chapter ends with a sort of hook, and he wanted to *point out* that each chapter ended quite nicely and made you want to turn the page.

Just a guess.

SFEley

Terra Aeterna wrote:
Why did you put the chapter numbers in there?
Good question. The pedantic answer would be: Because I take care to establish some sense of dramatic completion in each chapter, and this structure helps the reader to perceive the dramatic units in which the novel was written, much like Evana said.

But the more accurate answer would be: "I dunno. Seemed like a good idea at the time." >8->

On looking at the outline again, I'm seriously considering adding a couple sections to the front, briefly describing the setting and the major characters. Anyone think this would make it clearer and more interesting, or would it just add length without adding value?

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

James D Macdonald

Think you can add that material in one paragraph in the Chapter One part of the synopsis?

pianoman5

Re: Synopsis - length thereof

In my experience, the recommended length of a synopsis is extremely variable, and is determined solely by the party asking for it.

I have seen rules of thumb that suggest 1 page for each 10,000 words of text, which is approximately 10 pages/5,000 words for a typical-length novel. I have even heard tell of agents/publishers who want, or will accept, up to 25 pages. But most submission guidelines I've encountered ask for 1-2 pages, and certainly no more than 5.

The purpose of a synopsis is to be a BRIEF description of the main characters and plot points of the work - a selling document that demonstrates compellingly in miniature the page-turning nature of the novel it describes.

A 10 page single spaced document, in my view, is not a synopsis - it's more like an outline.

jeffspock

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your work.

Typo: Page 15, first line, "Teh centaurs" instead of "The centaurs"

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.