Timber's attempt at E-Pubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTimberWolf

Hiding between the covers.
Registered
Reaction score
So a few months ago, before I lost my business and means to support myself, I finished a fifth round of revisions on a horror/thriller manuscript I'd been working on for a year and a half or more and printed it out for copy editing purposes.

Then real life kicked me in the butt and next thing I know I'm living on the streets working at Burger King, redlining a crumbling manuscript on a park bench and thinking to myself 'I don't suppose I can get any lower than this. . .' After that I decided I was going to finally make the dream I've been harboring since leaving the military real. Even if I never go anywhere, I can't stand looking at something I've invested so much of myself into and wondering if it might be something.

Now, it's been about two weeks since I finished the final edits on the manuscript, put a cover together and posted it online. I'm still working at Burger King, still homeless and still wondering what the future's going to hold. But and however! I've started outlining the second book and I'm working on finding better living circumstances (I'll know by friday if I'm going to get a job that doesn't pay peanuts, for example) and while I still haven't really invested any serious time into advertising or promotion, I'm working out a business plan.

So to summarize, I put quite a few carts before quite a few horses and I'm not sure what's going to happen but maybe this will be useful to someone, who knows. I know it's cathartic for me otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. :)

My efforts so far have consisted of putting together a website, posting links to free copies of my book on appropriate forums to generate interest, I'm putting together a small GoodReads campaign while also working on supplementary works such as short stories and the next book as time allows.

I've also posted samples and a couple of short stories on places like WattPad, Fiction Press and a couple of sites that support anthropmorphic writing. Though, my primary piece isn't anthro/furry in nature (at all), I still figured it would bring people to the website who may then decide to check out my other stuff.

That said, so far my sales figures have been. . . Less than spectacular. It's been two weeks and I've done little in the way of direct or focused advertising, so I don't expect much, nor should I. I know this.

All told, I've sold exactly 2 copies on amazon, one of which was to a friend who bought it when I ran it for 99 cents, and zero on B&N or Smashwords. Perhaps this'll improve, perhaps it won't. I'm going to be doing the things I mentioned as far as getting a plan together and other stuff, but at some level it's still nice to know I actually have something out rather than wondering endlessly.

Still would like to make a go of this but I'm under no illusions that I'm skilled (or confident) enough to do so. Time will tell!

Last edited:

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
You have a compelling story. I hope that your book sales improve. Marketing is the hardest part of self-publishing.

I appreciate your desire to continue writing, but it's also important to think about how you can make this fruitful for yourself.

You didn't mention how you self-published. What type of self-publishing company did you use? Do you have an ISBN? What are you doing to get your book out there? Have you considered having your book reviewed at some popular book review sites?

What is your plan?

All the best,

Kris

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the setbacks you've had in your life, John. I really hope you find success in writing. If you haven't done so yet, you might find the sticky post by Old Hack entitled: Index to self publishing diaries (or something like that) an interesting read. Lots of good info in there. I'll be following your journey.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You didn't mention how you self-published. What type of self-publishing company did you use?

When you self-publish you don't use a company to help you do it. You might hire people for particular services (cover art, editing etc.) but not necessarily. If you pay a company to publish it for you, that's vanity publishing.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fair play John, on being so mentally tough and pushing on with your dream. Best of luck.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Wow. That's a story that illustrates clearly that there really is no excuse not to follow your dream. Kudos to you for sticking with it, regardless of what might happen! Promotion is, I'm finding, the trickiest part of this whole process. I think having a website is definitely a positive step in the right direction, and the rest will come as you find your way.

Best of luck to you with your journey! Keep us updated with your progress. Sales can only improve! :)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Wishing you all the best with your book, John! It takes a little time to get the ball rolling with self publishing.

Don't forget there are schemes like Kickstarter to help you cover editing and art costs.

ETA: And betas and critique circles. :)

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos to your persistence in pursuing your dream and best of luck.

SirTimberWolf

Hiding between the covers.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone, it's really humbling. I'll keep an eye on the things mentioned here and be looking for a crit circle (which I think would help considerably, heh!).

For my next trick, I shall pull a short story out of my butt and use it to promote my next (Unwritten) novel in my series. . . After running it through the SYW shredder.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing the sentiments already posted - good luck! Your story is inspiring, and I hope things turn around for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.