Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D Macdonald

Worth Reading

<a href="http://www.authorsguild.org/miscfiles/midlist.pdf" target="_new">Report to the Authors Guild Midlist Books Study Committee</a>.

James D Macdonald

Trying to Catch Up

Long ago I posted the first couple of pages of a couple of Grisham novels, and promised to talk about 'em.

At long last, part of my life is cleared away enough for me to do it.

So... without further ado ...

<BLOCKQUOTE>The first two pages of The Summons, by John Grisham:

Chapter 1

It came by mail, regular postage, the old-fashioned way since the Judge was almost eighty and distrusted modern devices. Forget e-mail and even faxes. He didn't use an answering machine and had never been fond of the telephone. He pecked out his letters with both index fingers, one feeble key at a time, hunched over his old Underwood manual on a rolltop desk under the portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest. The Judge's grandfather had fought with Forrest at Shiloh and throughout the Deep South, and to him no figure in history was more revered. For thirty-two years, the Judge had quietly refused to hold court on July 13, Forrest's birthday.

It came with another letter, a magazine, and two invoices, and was routinely placed in the law school mailbox of Professor Ray Atlee. He recognized it immediately since such envelopes had been a part of his life for as long as he could remember. It was from his father, a man he too called the Judge.

Professor Atlee studied the envelope, uncertain whether he should open it right there or wait a moment. Good news or bad, he never knew with the Judge, though the old man was dying and good news had been rare. It was thin and appeared to contain only one sheet of paper; nothing unusual about that. The Judge was frugal with the written word, though he'd once been known for his windy lectures from the bench.

It was a business letter, that much was certain. The Judge was not one for small talk, hated gossip and idle chitchat, whether written or spoken. Ice tea with him on the porch would be a refighting of the Civil War, probably at Shiloh, where he would once again lay all blame for the Confederate defeat at the shiny, untouched boots of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard, a man he would hate even in heaven, if by chance they met there.

He'd be dead soon. Seventy-nine years old with cancer in his stomach. He was overweight, a diabetic, a heavy pipe smoker, had a bad heart that had survived three attacks, and a host of lesser ailments that had tormented him for twenty years and were now finally closing in for the kill. The pain was constant. During their last phone call three weeks earlier, a call initiated by Ray because the Judge thought long distance was a rip-off, the old man sounded weak and strained. They had talked for less than two minutes.

The return address was gold-embossed: Chancellor Reuben V. Atlee, 25 Chancery District, Ford County Courthouse, Clanton, Mississippi. Ray slid the envelope into the magazine and began walking. Judge Atlee no longer held the office of chancellor. The voters had retired him nine years earlier; a bitter defeat from which he would never recover. Thirty-two years of diligent service to his people, and they tossed him out in favor of a younger man with ra-</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>Chapter 1</BLOCKQUOTE>

The book will be divided into chapters. No epigram, no chapter names.

<BLOCKQUOTE>It came by mail, regular postage, the old-fashioned way since the Judge was almost eighty and distrusted modern devices.</BLOCKQUOTE>

We start with pronoun without an antecedent. "It" here probably is "the summons" of the title. We've got a bit else going on here -- we're introduced to a character "the Judge" (with capital we can tell this is a name, or stands for a name), and a bit about him (age eighty, distrusts modern devices). That's characterization. An object, a person, and characterization. Not bad for sentence one.

<BLOCKQUOTE> Forget e-mail and even faxes.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Bolsters the old-fashioned impression, and bit of a change in rhythm. Sentence one was nineteen words; sentence two is five.

<BLOCKQUOTE> He didn't use an answering machine and had never been fond of the telephone. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet more on the Judge's old-fashioned, and even odd (not fond of the telephone?) ways. The lack of tech is mentioned three times in the first three sentences -- this will be important before the book is done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>He pecked out his letters with both index fingers, one feeble key at a time, hunched over his old Underwood manual on a rolltop desk under the portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest.</BLOCKQUOTE>

More characterization, and some physical description. Action. The Judge is hunched (we already know he's old), he's feeble (since typewriter keys don't have feebleness as one of their attributes, it must be the Judge's typing style). The roll-top desk suggests age, as does the "old" typewriter. We're getting some physical scene-setting (notice that only important details are mentioned -- we don't know if he has carpets or a hardwood floor, we don't know what the lights look like -- but we the readers are already forming a picture. One important part of this scene -- it gets the position of power at the end of the sentence -- is the portrait. Nathan Beford Forrest places the Judge in the South (Forrest was a Confederate general), and reveals an unpleasant fact about the Judge's character -- Forrest founded the Ku Klux Klan. This sentence is much longer and more complex than the two that preceeded it. It's nearly the length of the first three sentences combined. The author wants us to slow down and pay attention.

<BLOCKQUOTE> The Judge's grandfather had fought with Forrest at Shiloh and throughout the Deep South, and to him no figure in history was more revered. For thirty-two years, the Judge had quietly refused to hold court on July 13, Forrest's birthday.</BLOCKQUOTE>

More about the Judge's age, his heritage, and his career. The title "Judge" is restated. This is also a small info dump for the readers who have no idea who Nathan Bedford Forrest was. By the end of the first paragraph we have a pretty good picture of a character, along with the unresolved question of what "it" is -- giving us a reason to read on to paragraph two.

<BLOCKQUOTE>It came with another letter, a magazine, and two invoices, and was routinely placed in the law school mailbox of Professor Ray Atlee. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite the busy little sentence. "It," still not identified (although we can puzzle out that it must be a letter since it comes with "another letter"), leads us to our second character. Professor Ray Atlee has a name as well as a title, we know that he's in a law school. The connection with the previous paragraph, aside from the letter itself, is that "Judge" is a legal title.

<BLOCKQUOTE>He recognized it immediately since such envelopes had been a part of his life for as long as he could remember.</BLOCKQUOTE>

"He" here is Ray Atlee, our second character. "It" is the letter, probably "The Summons." (Summons, too, is a legal term.) We learn now who it was who was seeing the Judge pecking away at that Underwood -- it was Ray, who got that flash when he saw the envelope.

<BLOCKQUOTE>It was from his father, a man he too called the Judge.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Relationship between the two characters, characterization, implication of a cold upbringing. We're filling in Ray, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Professor Atlee studied the envelope, uncertain whether he should open it right there or wait a moment. </BLOCKQUOTE>

We're a bit formal with Ray, for now. We don't know him as well as we know the Judge. We're also reinforcing that he's got some social standing, as a professor. And we're getting a feeling of doubt. Should he open the envelope? Why wouldn't he? Why the hesitation? Suspense. While Ray is being introduced here, he's still sharing the stage with that envelope.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Good news or bad, he never knew with the Judge, though the old man was dying and good news had been rare. </BLOCKQUOTE>

An important fact. We knew the Judge was feeble and hunched. and old. Now he's dying. We still don't know what's in that envelope.

<BLOCKQUOTE>It was thin and appeared to contain only one sheet of paper; nothing unusual about that. </BLOCKQUOTE>

We're back to calling the envelope "it," just as in the first word of the novel. We're beginning to put a lot of weight on that envelope. We're also seeing more of the envelope; thin, but not unusual. An object of significance, particularly if we consider that it's probably the title object.

<BLOCKQUOTE>The Judge was frugal with the written word, though he'd once been known for his windy lectures from the bench.</BLOCKQUOTE>

More characterization of the Judge, pulling us away from Ray. And so we end paragraph two, a second character introduced but the focus firmly on the Judge (and his envelope). So ends paragraph four.

<BLOCKQUOTE>It was a business letter, that much was certain. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Focus back on the letter, once again "It."

<BLOCKQUOTE>The Judge was not one for small talk, hated gossip and idle chitchat, whether written or spoken. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Characterization. The sentence, by itself, is clumsy, and will slow a reader down. The pacing here is important. The author wants this information to be absorbed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Ice tea with him on the porch would be a refighting of the Civil War, probably at Shiloh, where he would once again lay all blame for the Confederate defeat at the shiny, untouched boots of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard, a man he would hate even in heaven, if by chance they met there.</BLOCKQUOTE>

The paragraph ends with a long, complex sentence, characterization of a man living in the past, with a hint of a question of whether the Judge would go to heaven when he died.

<BLOCKQUOTE>He'd be dead soon.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Very short, very punchy, particularly when contrasted with the last sentence of the previous paragraph. We already had this information, now the author restates it, far more vividly than "the old man was dying." We're all dying ... but for most of us it's not going to be "soon." This is a great paragraph lead-off sentence. The impact is greater here, after we'd already been introduced, than it would have been had this sentence been used as the first sentence of the first paragraph.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Seventy-nine years old with cancer in his stomach.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Short, punchy, purely factual. Giving hard data to the impressions the readers already had.

<BLOCKQUOTE> He was overweight, a diabetic, a heavy pipe smoker, had a bad heart that had survived three attacks, and a host of lesser ailments that had tormented him for twenty years and were now finally closing in for the kill. </BLOCKQUOTE>

"Tormented him for twenty years." We're feeling sympathetic for the Judge now, after an unsympathetic portrayal up to this point. This is also a long, rambling sentence after the previous two body-blows, giving the reader time to catch his breath.

<BLOCKQUOTE>The pain was constant.</BLOCKQUOTE>

After that breather, a quick jab. Reinforces the pain motif.

<BLOCKQUOTE> During their last phone call three weeks earlier, a call initiated by Ray because the Judge thought long distance was a rip-off, the old man sounded weak and strained.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Reinforcing the old-fashioned anti-tech ways of the Judge, putting in some characterization on Ray and the Judge's relationship. Spreads the story out to more than just this moment ... whatever's been going on we have a human time scale. Twenty years, seventy-nine years, since the Civil War -- those are too long for a reader's mind to wrap around. Three weeks -- that's doable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>They had talked for less than two minutes.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Characterization, reveals their relationship.

<BLOCKQUOTE>The return address was gold-embossed: Chancellor Reuben V. Atlee, 25 Chancery District, Ford County Courthouse, Clanton, Mississippi. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, the Judge has a name, and we're given a very specific location, rather than the vague South. Once again, we're focused on the envelope, as we have been at the beginning of four of the five previous paragraphs. Gold-embossed tells us about the character, and his social station.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Ray slid the envelope into the magazine and began walking. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't we going to open that envelope? The suspense! Plus a bit of characterization -- he doesn't want to touch or look at the envelope.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Judge Atlee no longer held the office of chancellor.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah -- but he's still using the old stationery. Frugal (we already have been told he is), or is it vanity, or pride? Those are deadly sins.

<BLOCKQUOTE>The voters had retired him nine years earlier; a bitter defeat from which he would never recover.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah. It's pride. A bit more history, too. It isn't the stomach cancer that's killing him -- it's his electoral defeat. The source of his pain?

<BLOCKQUOTE>Thirty-two years of diligent service to his people, and they tossed him out in favor of a younger man with ra-</BLOCKQUOTE>

Thirty-two years of honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest.

More on the source of the Judge's discontent. And here we are, at the bottom of page two of the printed book, and that darned envelope still hasn't been opened.

Okay, show of hands -- how many of you want to turn the page and find out what happens next?

We have two characters -- the Judge and Ray -- and one object, the envelope (The Summons). We have a pretty good idea of one location -- and it isn't the location where the envelope and Ray are standing, even though it looks like Ray will be the viewpoint character. All of the information we've gotten about the Judge could well have come from his head, summoned up by the view of the Summons in his academic mailbox.

That's a rockin' opening, guys. Nothing wasted.

Go you and do likewise.

drgnlvrljh

Re: Character's Name: one vs multiple

I'm just on page 75 and I have a question on the subject of names (sorry, guys.)

An important character arrives in the story, who is a mystery to everyone else, and I want him to be a mystery to the readers as well. For example:

He waited in the dark, across the street from the coffeehouse. It had been closed for over an hour, now, but the person he was watching for hadn't left yet. He was cold, and tired, but he was also patient. He'd been searching for her for nearly twenty years, another hour or so would not matter, now.

Then, in the next chapter, I actually give his name:

He squeezed the rest of the way into the office, and closed the door. As soon as his shirt was off, Andrea began to apply the salve on his blistering abdomen and chest.

“Do you have a name?” she asked.

He stared at the ceiling, and said in that soft, subtly accented voice, “Gideon.”

What I'm wanting to do, is make his seem foreboding, or even dangerous, at first, then show that maybe he's not such a bad guy after all, but leave that nagging little question in the back of the readers mind until deeper into the story, when it becomes clearer that he really is a good guy, but might not necessarily be a "hero".

Am I cheating my readers? Or is there perhaps a better way to do this?

James D Macdonald

Question for you, drgnlvrljh:

In the first quote: <blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>He waited in the dark, across the street from the coffeehouse. It had been closed for over an hour, now, but the person he was watching for hadn't left yet. He was cold, and tired, but he was also patient. He'd been searching for her for nearly twenty years, another hour or so would not matter, now.<hr></blockquote>

Who's the viewpoint character? Is it the mysterious stranger himself?

It's not outrageous for him not to mention his own name.

I don't see a problem with what you've presented here. Of course, to make any kind of detailed suggestions I'd have to read the whole thing, and even then I'd have to lead off with "In my opinion...."

Have you finished your first draft yet?

drgnlvrljh

Who's the viewpoint character? Is it the mysterious stranger himself?

At that particular moment, his is the viewpoint. The POV will change though (and I've seen that subject covered extensively in this thread). It's not more than a paragraph or two, because I want to get him in there right now, at the begining of the story. He just doesn't have alot to do until Chapter 2.

Have you finished your first draft yet?

Um...Not completely? :eek:

I'm doing BIC! I swear I am! ;)

HConn

Re: Worth Reading

Is writing a craft that anyone can learn?

Does talent matter?

Does everyone have creativity?

Is it an art form that many will try but few will master?

Can anyone produce publishable work? Of the ones who can't/don't, is it because they aren't learning or because they don't have the spark?

-----------------------​

I'm just trying to move the discussion from to PA thread to here.

Risseybug

I stand by my reply on the PA thread.
Writing is like math. Everyone can learn basic math, but it takes a certain type of person, with a certain INNATE skill, to to say, trigonometry, and do it well. I can't comprehend it.

Anyone can learn to write something, to use the basics, but not as many can weave together a story, create a novel or a series. Imagination and creativity are part of who some are, and not part of others. I'll amend this to say that the amount of creativity and imagination varies from person to person. Everyone has some, but some have more than others.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if we were talking about visual artists. If everyone could do it well, then why would we have galleries, art museums, and art exhibits? I think everyone knows that not everyone can learn to draw or paint or dance or sing, to a level that is called "artistic", to be called professional. Why is it that some think anyone can learn to write publishable fiction???
Sorry, bit of a rant, but it's annoying.

aka eraser

Yes, anyone of near-average to above-average intelligence without a significant learning disability.

Does talent matter?

Yes, it makes it easier, and when combined with hard work improves the odds of producing publishable work.

I believe so, in varying degrees/amounts.

Probably. But then you get into the question of what's the definition of "master?" I consider myself to be a very good writer. I'll never consider myself to have mastered the craft though. I suspect few writers, who still possess an ounce of humility, would consider themselves masters of the art/craft, though their fans may beg to differ.

Can anyone produce publishable work? Of the ones who can't/don't, is it because they aren't learning or because they don't have the spark?

I believe most can, if they work, learn from their mistakes, recognize and bolster their strengths, minimize their weaknesses, become inured to rejection, and take the time to learn how the business side of writing works. All the talent in the world won't get you published if you consistently screw up the end game of the process.

Most writers who don't succeed, do so, I believe, because they've failed at one or more of the above.

I like the painting analogy. Those who liken all writers to Da Vinci, Picasso et al have an elitist view of writing. There are painters who make a decent living painting houses, airbrushing vans and doing caricatures at fairs.

Likewise, there are writers who do just fine writing manuals, ads, newsletters and jingles.

maestrowork

Writing requires both skill and talent. And different people have different levels. Skills can be learned and mastered through hard work. Talent is born with -- some people have more than others. Anyone can succeed if they put their mind to it -- it's just that some people can do it faster, better, and more naturally than others.

James D Macdonald

Skill or talent?

"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration."
<BLOCKQUOTE>
Thomas A. Edison, Harper's Monthly, 1932
</BLOCKQUOTE>

detante

No. Some suffer from mental or physical ailments that prevent them from ever learning to write.

Does talent matter?

Yes. But talent is a subjective quality defined by the audience. So the real trick is not only discovering and honing your talent, but finding the audience that appreciates it. One audience's trash is another's treasure.

No. Asperger syndrome is a sub-group of autism. One of the characteristics is an impaired imagination. Sufferers can learn facts and figures but have a difficult time grasping abstract concepts. They also have trouble communicating. They are not able to 'read between the lines' and tend to take comments literally.

Relatively speaking, yes.

Ruling out those that are incapable of learning the craft, yes. But only if they are willing to put forth the effort to complete a polished work, the intestinal fortitude to accept criticism, and the tenacity to find a willing and able publisher. That's a lot of if's.

Jen

JimMorcombe

Re: Grisham and Book Titles

U.J.

We start with pronoun without an antecedent. "It" here probably is "the summons" of the title.

You are obviously correct, but I never would have picked this up in a hundred years. I am too subconsciously attuned to te title not being relevant. As you say, usually the title is picked by the publisher for marketing reasons.

This is more evidence that Grisham always picks his own titles and no-one mucks around with them. I first noticed this in "The thirteenth Juror" but is is beginning to stand out in other books too.

Even if an author knows what the title of his book will be, this doesn't mean he is free to assume that the reader knows that he knows. Obviously Grisham lost me on that one.

JimMorcombe

Grisham and Nathan Beford Forrest

U.J.
Nathan Beford Forrest places the Judge in the South (Forrest was a Confederate general), and reveals an unpleasant fact about the Judge's character -- Forrest founded the Ku Klux Klan.

Again, I find out that Grisham's words have gone over my head. To me, Nathan Bedford Forrest meant no more to me than Lord John Forrest means to you.

I am beginning to understand why I found these first few pages so boring while others, such as yourself, sing their praises.

JimMorcombe

Re: Grisham and a great opening

U.J.

I am a Grisham fan and I found this opening boring. By the bottom of page two I just didn't care enough about the letter to read any further. I felt as if Grisham was artificially injecting suspense into a mundane matter. Opening the mail is a boring process. Why would I want to read about it?

My idea of a hook is something that gets my attention. It immediately hints at the murder and mayhem that will appear in the following pages - or hints at a heavy emotional rollercoster ride - or anything that will make me believe it will be worth my while to read the book. "A letter has arrived" simply hints at a boring book.

Admittedly I missed the obvious connection between "it" and the title of the book. Also I didn't get any resonance from the name "Forrest" since he was a complete unknown to me. But I don't think these two facts explain my lack of interest. I actually put this book back on the bookshelf and read no further. It actually took three or four attempts before I got engrossed in the story. The same thing happenned with "Painted House".

Perhaps I expect too much from Grisham and when he doesn't live up to expectations I am too harsh on him.

gp101

grishom

I couldn't finish PAINTED HOUSE--tried three times to read it. But I like the first two pages of this Grishom tale. Uncle Jim does a nice job of breaking down the why's and how's of the two pages. I'd add that Grishom used adjectives sparingly, and only two adverbs. Description was kept bare bones. Stingy word economy really helps a read, for me anyway.

Diviner

Re: Learn Writing with Uncle Jim

Just another fan of this thread delurking....
I have been hooked on it since I found it at the end of Nano. Thanks to all of you, especially to James MacDonald for an interesting and informative thread. I have told friends and family about BIC and received much support (from family) and enthusiasm (from fellow writers).

I have a question about my almost finished WIP. My POV is a strong limited third from a single viewpoint most of the time, but in three places I have varied it, because there is no way my MC could know important stuff about two of her adversaries. In those cases --very short scenes-- I slip into omniscient.

I have the feeling that a knowledgeable beta reader would notice this but that a regular reader wouldn't care. Is it too intrusive to have tiny bits of omniscient POV? Would a reader expect even more to clear up tangled motivation?

Thanks for your insights.

sc211

DRGN:

You asked about giving away a character's name at the start. You're right in that using the mystery of it can help. There's any number of scenes in novels and movies in which this is used.

The trouble is that when you get more than a couple of characters in one place, it's harder to keep "he" separate from the other "he"s. But there are ways to get around it.

The "old man" is referred to as such for four full pages in Ender's Game (p 260) before you're told his name in the last line of the scene.

Another "old man" is referred to for three pages in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (ch. 22) until he tells you his name. This time it's used for humor instead of surprise. "I told you it wasn't important."

In your own example, the only change I'd make is when he finally does tell his name:

He stared at the ceiling, and said in that soft, subtly accented voice, “Gideon.”

It'd be better to underplay it. To tell of the accent earlier and then simply have him say it. For example, from page 5 of a classic:

The stranger nodded again. "Call me Shane," he said.

drgnlvrljh

It'd be better to underplay it. To tell of the accent earlier and then simply have him say it.

Good point. And I must apologize for the bad grammar of the line: "and said in that soft, subtly accented voice,"

This is actually the first time he talks in the story. But I agree "show, don't tell" would work better (which is something I can do in revision, since I just want to get the story out, at first).

Question is, in a case like this, how should I go about showing it? Yes, the accent will be a minor issue, as the people he meets are going to wonder where he's from (ie; "You ain't from around here, are ya boy?"), and I'd rather not try to show it in his speech. Especially since the accent is not from -anywhere- on Earth ;)

He stared at the ceiling, and said, “Gideon.”

Andrea caught a hint of accent, but couldn't place it.

Perhaps?

drgnlvrljh

Re: Pressing matters

I think you could 'push the envelope' of pathetic fallacy if you have set your reader up properly with a character who would be believable projecting onto inanimate objects in that way. It would be a tricky business, but worth it if you do it just right.

On the subject of pathetic fallacy, you say it's possible, but tricky, if done just right. Could I bother you for a possible example? (I admit to guilt in at least one instance :eek: )

James D Macdonald

Could I bother you for a possible example?

She hung cheerful curtains in the bedroom.

He made the notes with his angry pen.

The playful wind made the childrens' kites soar.

--------------

Like any spice, a little enhances, too much makes the meal inedible.

James D Macdonald

Can anyone produce publishable work? Of the ones who can't/don't, is it because they aren't learning or because they don't have the spark

Can anyone become a marathon runner?

Well -- given a certain baseline level of good health, perhaps. No guarantee that they'll come in first, but they'll probably cross the finish line.

What's more certain is that, no matter ones' innate running ability, those who don't log the road miles training, and those who don't enter the race, won't cross the finish line.

Most people aren't naturals, or geniuses. Many can plug along, get better, and reach a minimum level of competence.

Remember: If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum.

<HR>

As I said elsewhere: Someone with one drop of creativity who works hard will get farther than someone with an ocean of creativity who doesn't do the work.

<HR>

Repeating the same mistakes over and over isn't practicing correctly, and won't get you anywhere.

<HR>

James D Macdonald

Another way of looking at The Summons:

Let's try a different analysis. This will be words per sentence, number of commas, and number of sentences per paragraph, for the full paragraphs. I'm looking for varying rhythms.

Paragraph 1:

19 (2)
5 (0)
14 (0)
32 (2)
24 (1)
16 (2)

Paragraph 2:

23 (2)
21 (0)
12 (1)

Paragraph 3:

17 (1)
22 (2)
16 (1 semicolon)
20 (1)

Paragraph 4:

9 (1)
17 (2)
55 (5)

Paragraph 5:

4 (0)
8 (0)
40 (4)
4 (0)
29 (2)
8 (0)

sc211

drgn:

I think you got it. If you start the scene from the woman's point of view (let's say from when they enter her room), you could even give her some interior monologue.

He glanced at the ceiling and paused, as if wondering if he could trust her. Or was he just thinking up some bogus name?

“Gideon," he said.

As she got the salve, she shook her head. After all this time I should be able to read men better. But here I can't even place that accent.

That's actually kind of awkward. I had a better way this morning, but ezboard dropped the ball and you can't press Back to retrieve your message (which is why I'm copying each one from now on before hitting Reply). By the way, I like the idea of the accent being not from Earth.

sc211

About the talent to write question...

I am not a man of any unusual talent; I started out with very moderate abilities. My success has been due to my really remarkable industry – to developing what I had in me to the extreme limit. When a man begins to sharpen one faculty, and keeps on sharpening it with tireless perseverance, he can achieve wonders. Everybody knows it, it’s a commonplace, and yet how rare it is to find anybody doing it – I mean to the uttermost as I did. What genius I had was for work!
- Robert Louis Stevenson

I remember a guy telling me years ago, “It doesn’t matter what kind of studio you have if you’re in there working.”
- Gary Baker

drgnlvrljh

Thank you, kind Sir! I guess then, that I might be somewhat guilty. The MC is in a situation where she's holding a broken door shut, while some-thing- on the other side is trying to get through, and the only thing she has that might be heavy enough to keep the door shut is a trunk full of books...currently on the other side of the room. And so it sits there, "mocking" her. :eek:

*Makes a note to find something better to replace that with when she gets home from work* :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.