Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tuesday

Drive-by Wave to my Loveys... :TheWave:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Afternoon, Floozies!

I finished reading 1984 today... OMG, such a book to try to wrap my head around! On the one hand, it seems perfectly easy to look at the surface of it. But you get to thinking about it, and suddenly BAM! you're going round in circles and are unable to speak.

Quick - set the muppet loose so I can practice my golf swing! Golf is obviously the answer.

Cliff, I read that last year. The ending just about killed me. It was part of my son's required reading over the summer. Everyone should read it at least once.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't read it you'll be put in a dark room full of rats.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Somehow, I managed not to read either 1984 or Fahrenheit 451. I did read Brave New World. Didn't read To Kill a Mockingbird until I was long, long, long past high school.

Glad you're getting some help with your questions about the questionnaire, Gail.

:hi: and pie and :Cake: for everyone.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I said something dangerous to a manager at Burger K. for not having my choco. milkshakes. I told him I would take my business to McD's! :D So he said if I came back I could get a large milkshake and he'd charge me for a small! Cool, huh. :)

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He should charge you for a non-existent!

ROAR :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Of Mice And Men" in high school, too. This was my first time reading "1984" though.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to say about it in my presentation... I suppose step 1 would be to read some expert opinions. I have to use secondary sources anyway, so may as well let them jog some ideas loose in my mind. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I read "Macbeth" for 3 separate classes! 1 in high school, then in an introductory drama class for Uni, and then in a first-year English/creative writing class for Uni.

So much Macbeth!

I don't mind Shakespeare, but it would've been more interesting to read different plays as opposed to Macbeth all the time.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember my reading lists throughout college and high school because they get mixed with what I read because I wanted to. All I know is if there was symbolism in the book, I never got it. I always felt so stupid when others would say the way so-and-so interacted with such-and-such was symbolic of blank-society's struggle with whatever. Nope, to me, it was as it was stated. I'm way too literal, which is why my husband has to explain about 50% of his jokes to me. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Symbolism is the bane of high school and college English classes.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I think the one you referred to would be less useful if given to younger kids unless an adult was there to ask the questions to them.

It's too complex and written in a "top down" manner. It sounds like it was written by either something who uses the term "professional educator" or is a clinical psychologist.

I couldn't agree more. I was going to change some of the stuff in it. Probably written by a research psychologist - they love the 'erudite' style. :D

Talking about 'classic' literature. Every so often, I try to read some of the classics I missed as youngster. At the moment I've got Bleak House - but I think I'm going to need Prozac to get through it. :Shrug:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Bleak House (although it's admittedly a bit long). I'm generally not as much of a fan of Dickens as many other people are (or claim to be).

When I was about in the sixth grade all the girls read The Diary of Anne Frank. They would get all teary-eyed over it. I sort of assume it was just a "girl's book" and didn't read it at the time. I was in my twenties before I got around to reading it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished off the last of my slow cooker pork BBQ. I made several meals out of it.

And now it's time for . . . chocolate!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I was going to change some of the stuff in it. Probably written by a research psychologist - they love the 'erudite' style.

Is "picked on" a phrase that is used in SA?

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I think everyone who reads should give Fahrenheit 451 a look. This is especially true for authors.

Our reading lists didn't include 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, or any other Vonnegut so we read them all. Most of us said we read Pynchon's Gravity's rainbow, some of us actually did. Some read James Joyce and others of us were stunned.

I understand Pynshon's Against the Day is steampunk. Anyone read it?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Facebook posts by DD #2.

Well I wasn't really being mistreated...just made to behave!

. . . the boss made me behave during a meeting...it was a challenge but I had to prove I could do it!

That's my girl!

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, ac.

I've visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam a couple of times. The second time was when we also met up with a German friend who was working in Holland. He walked over there with us, then when we asked if he was coming in too, he said in a very loud, very german voice 'No, it is just a house. It is very boring.'

And the germans wonder why a lot of other european nations still dislike them.

ROAR :D

ETA: That's by no means representative of all germans, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.