How do you write 100k plus words on any subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I think 100k can actually be plenty for a manuscript, depending on the genre and whatnot.

I’ve only completed one manuscript that’s over 100k, and honestly I didn’t even mean to. I think the best way to go about it is to firstly make sure that your story is structurally sound. Make sure you have all the plot points, subplots, and character arcs in order so that you know the story you need to tell.

Once you’ve got the structure ready, the key is to set smaller goals for yourself. 100k is a big number, but you can break it down into smaller numbers to slowly crack away at it. How much can you write per day? It’s important to set a goal. Work within your time constraints and what you believe you can accomplish, and adjust those goals as needed.

What I do personally as well is to compare what I’ve written with my total word-count goal, and calculate how much is left. I wouldn’t recommend doing this on the first day – that’d be more of a bummer than anything. But for those days when you don’t feel like you’re making any progress, the concrete numbers can do a lot by way of encouragement.

Also, unless you absolutely must have a 100k word count, don’t let the word count be the end-all-be-all. Sometimes the story just doesn’t need to be as long as that. Sometimes it needs to be longer. Either way, at the end of the day, if you get to a point where the story feels complete, try not to let it bother you too much if it isn’t exactly 100k. Unless, again, it absolutely has to be for some reason.

These are just some of the things that have worked for me personally. Hopefully something will be useful to you. Good luck with your writing!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
^^^This. And the pay is pretty good for the effort. :)

That said, I first thought that a novel was daunting but I wanted to write a book similar to the size I read, so I separated the book into sections that made sense TO ME (not to say anything for the myriad of other ways to write, but this is what worked for me.)

Section 1 - The beginning of an interesting thing happens. I write paranormal thrillers, so usually, the "interesting thing" is a bad thing.

Section 2 - My hero/ine winds up having no choice but to deal with the interesting thing. In other words, through duty or fascination or threat of death/harm to loved ones, my protagonist must go forward instead of ignoring the interesting thing or running away from it.

Section 3 - Real life comes back to bite the hero/ine on the butt. This can be anything from unpaid bills, to forgotten obligations that cause people to ring the phone or pound on the door. (Otherwise known as "subplots")

Section 4 - The interesting things get worse and pile on top of the forgotten/neglected things so that the hero/ine's life truly sucks.

Section 5 - Hero/ine figures out a novel way to solve the interesting thing (because if it was EASY to solve, it would be a short story. :ROFL: )

Section 6 - One last bad thing happens that nearly upends the hero/ine's plan, but through either sheer will or timely help from friends along the way, the interesting thing is dealt with.

Section 7 - Wrap up of loose threads and hints of the future (if a series.)

Each section, by itself, isn't overwhelming, so it's not as scary. :)

I really like this breakdown.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
As everyone has said: one step at a time. The manuscript doesn't have to be 100k words. It doesn't have to be any particular length. Write it to the length that the story demands. If you have a story that demands 100k words, then you'll find yourself writing away until you realize, yikes, you hit 100k! If it's only 70k, that's fine, too.

The key is to really dig into the story--really go in depth with who these people are and what their world is like. Bring that to the story in the form of subplots and plot points and character set-pieces (you know, a scene where the point is to show what makes a character tick).

I reached just over 100k words pretty easily with my current WIP. It's the longest of my last 4 projects. I got there by having four MCs with separate but intertwining story lines. In a more concrete sense, I got there by sitting down and just writing until I told the story I set out to tell.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
When I do it, I'll let you know. Haven't written anything that length yet, though I have a upcoming novel I project to be about 80k for the first draft. It's going to be an epic fantasy type tale. In the end I want it to be 100k-110k. That additional 20-30K will come during revisions for me. I know it will, because I'm already seeing a pattern of underwriting in my original work.

All the things I'm currently working on are short stories, but an older flash piece and my most recent short story that I just finished revising, were both severly underwritten.

My advice is to give yourself permision to underwrite the first draft, you can always expand things later if you need to.

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
Most writers write simply because they want to write. Some write because they see no other way of achieving fame and fortune. Some write because it seems to be a good way of making pocket money. I've known too many who write because they had a word processor, didn't want to pay big bucks to go to college, didn't want to spend four or more years working their asses off to graduate, and used writing as an excuse not to go to college, despite all lack of apparent talent.

There may be a few who must write, who can't find a way not to write, but that isn't me, or any of my writing friends.

I have a lot of writer friends, in fact, and we've talked about this extensively. Not one of us has anything resembling a compulsion to write, a need to write, etc. We all write because we enjoy the process, and because we're pretty darned good at it. That's it.

We all tend to think that such things as "I must write", or "I have to write or die", or "I have to write like I have to breathe" are either delusions of grandeur, or a sign that the writer needs help. Most often, it's probably just trying to make writing more than it is, trying to up the importance ante. But there's nothing special about writing. It's just another activity like playing video games, quilting, or riding a bicycle. True compulsions are almost always bad.

I write because I enjoy it, and because I can make money at it. Take away the money, and I wouldn't write another word. There are too many things I enjoy as much as writing that actually get me out in the fresh air and sunshine. If I could figure out a way to make a living from some of them, I'd be doing that, rather than writing. Take away the enjoyment, and the money wouldn't be worth it, and I'd stop then, too.

Wise writers realize at some point that they lack the talent to write well, and they quickly find a way not to write, and to move on to something they do have talent for.

At any rate, if not knowing how to get to one hundred thousand words means you aren't a writer, then some of my favorite writers should be doing something else for a living. Some of the best writers out there never have managed to write a good novel of any length.

Count me as one who must write. From the age of 6 I have been obsessed with writing books for a living, not because I could make money, but because I simply love creating stories. I have yet to make a single cent from my writing (but I full heartedly believe it will happen at some point), yet even if somebody was to assure me I would never be published, I would continue to write.

People doubt my sencerity, but the money from writing means nothing to me. I want to be a bestselling author because it will mean I've created something countless people are enthralled with and that's worth so much more to me than a check arriving in my mailbox.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have written five novels, 20 novellas, and a textbook. Not a one of them was that long.

Make the story as long as it wants to be.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
I used to wonder the same thing. My first few novels were 70k or under. My last two were both over 85 and 95k. I no longer think 100k is this giant milestone number I can't reach. I could easily get there. It is surprising because I usually envision shorter word counts when I start out, but then the story takes over and you just wind up with more meat on the bones.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when I was in college and thought a 1,000-word paper was a lot. Writing a full-length novel was daunting too. Then I joined Nano. Now anything above 50,000 isn't so scary anymore. haha

Last edited:

tb0099

Registered
Reaction score
Missouri, home of corn, cows and annoying weather
I feel the need to write, as i feel the need to sketch. Im working on my first scifi novel, and this one is not about the money, or prestige, but about the act of crafting something beautiful. I know full well that my first first novel is going to be total crap. Thats ok. I want to go from where I am, to better.

I think where I have trouble is in two places, sub plots, and describing things.

Ever since highschool. I prefer a story to be told mostly though action and dialog, rather than thought and exposition.

Also, I tend to be conservative with words. If i can effectively say something with 5 words, why do it in 10?

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Four simple ways to turn a snappy novelette into a doorstopper

1) Descriptions of everything
He entered a room--size, color, atmosphere, furniture, temperature, etc, etc.

Dean Koontz example of description carpet-bombing through simple enumeration (Phantoms):

The double sink was filled with jewelry. Mostly rings and watches. There were both men’s and women’s watches: Timex, Seiko, Bulova, even a Rolex; some of them were attached to flexible bands; some with no bands at all; none of them was attached to a leather or plastic band. Bryce saw scores of wedding and engagement rings; the diamonds glittered brilliantly. Birthstone rings, too: garnet, amethyst, bloodstone, topaz, tourmaline; rings with ruby and emerald chips. High high-priced pieces.
Bryce dug his hands into one of the piles of valuables the way a pirate, in the movies, always drenched his hands in the contents of a treasure chest. He stirred up the shining baubles and saw other kinds of jewelry: earrings, charm bracelets, loose pearls from a broken necklace or two, gold chains, a lovely cameo pendant…
(Instead of simply "The sink was overflowing with jewlery")

Raymond Chandler
(Little Sister) example of more elegant detail presentation:

You could know Bay City a long time without knowing Idaho Street. And you could know a lot of Idaho Street without knowing Number 449. The block in front of it had a broken paving that had almost gone back to dirt. The warped fence of a lumberyard bordered the cracked sidewalk on the opposite side of the street. Halfway up the block the rusted rails of a spur track turned in to a pair of high, chained wooden gates that seem not to have been opened for twenty years. Little boys with chalk had been writing and drawing pictures on the gates and all along the fence.
Number 449 had a shallow, paintless front porch on which five wood and cane rockers loafed dissolutely, held together with wire and the moisture of the beach air.
The green shades over the lower windows of the house were two thirds down and full of cracks. Beside the front door there was a large printed sign “No Vacancies.” That had been there a long time too. It had got faded and fly-specked. The door opened on a long hall from which stairs went up a third of the way back. To the right there was a narrow shelf with a chained, indelible pencil hanging beside it.
There was a push button and a yellow and black sign above which read “Manager,” and was held up by three thumbtacks no two of which matched. There was a pay phone on the opposite wall. I pushed the bell.
(Instead of simply "I reached the place--it was pretty shabby--and rang the bell")

2) Back story for everything
Let's say there's a TV set by the north wall of the room you're describing. Need to squeeze in a few more paragraphs? Add the back story of the appliance. It was impressive ten years ago but even then he couldn't have afforded it--his brother gifted it for his marriage. The marriage was gone, the TV was still here, etc, etc.

Example of pet's genital status back story from King's Pet Sematary:

Louis’s mind turned to Ellie as he had last seen her tonight, fast asleep with Church purring rustily on the foot of the mattress.
“My daughter’s got a cat,” he said. “Winston Churchill. We call him Church for short.”
“Do they climb when he walks?”
“I beg your pardon?” Louis had no idea what he was talking about.
“He still got his balls or has he been fixed?”
“No,” Louis said. “No, he hasn’t been fixed.”
In fact there had been some trouble over that back in Chicago. Rachel had wanted to get Church spayed, had even made the appointment with the vet. Louis canceled it. Even now he wasn’t really sure why. it wasn’t anything as simple or as stupid as equating his masculinity with that of his daughter’s tom, nor even his resentment at the idea that Church would have to be castrated so the fat housewife next door wouldn’t need to be troubled with twisting down the lids of her plastic garbage cans—those things had been part of it, but most of it had been a vague but strong feeling that it Would destroy something in Church that he himself valued—that it would put out the go-to-hell look in the cat’s green eyes. Finally he had pointed out to Rachel that they were moving to the country, and it shouldn’t be a problem. Now here was Judson Crandall, pointing out that part of country living in Ludlow consisted of dealing with Route 15, and asked him if the cat was fixed. Try a little irony, Dr. Creed—it’s good for your blood.
3) Break up simple actions into chains of sub-actions
He didn't just pick up the phone: he walked over to the desk, swiped away a few pieces of paper to clear space, pulled over the plastic stationary phone, leaned his head to one side as he wedged the receiver between the side of his chin and his shoulder, etc, etc.

Example of borderline absurd zooming in into mundane activity from Hammett's The Maltese Falcon:

Spade's thick fingers made a cigarette with deliberate care, sifting a measured quantity of tan flakes down into curved paper, spreading the flakes so that they lay equal at the ends with a slight depression in the middle, thumbs rolling the paper's inner edge down and up under the outer edge as forefingers pressed it over, thumbs and fingers sliding to the paper cylinder's ends to hold it even while tongue licked the flap, left forefinger and thumb pinching their end while right forefinger and thumb smoothed the damp seam, right forefinger and thumb twisting their end and lifting the other to Spade's mouth. He picked up the pigskin and nickel lighter that had fallen to the floor, manipulated it, and with the cigarette burning in a corner of his mouth stood up.
(Instead of simply "He lit a cigarette")

4) Constant internal dialogues and memories and sensory input of POV character
So he drives a car, and you've described the movements of driving, the car itself, his clothes and mood, the landscape outside, the weather and state of the road, and how and when he got the car. Add to all this his thoughts and feelings about things, memories of events and conversations, angry opinions, the glare of the sun in his eyes, the smell of upholstery, etc, etc.

Example of a quiet moment being filled up by the MC's internal world--On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming:

It was one of those beautiful, naive seaside panoramas for which the Brittany and Picardy beaches have provided the setting - and inspired their recorders, Boudin, Tissot, Monet - ever since the birth of plages and bains de mer more than a hundred years ago.
To James Bond, sitting in one of the concrete shelters with his face to the setting sun, there was something poignant, ephemeral about it all. It reminded him almost too vividly of childhood - of the velvet feel of the hot powder sand, and the painful grit of wet sand between young toes when the time came for him to put his shoes and socks on, of the precious little pile of sea-shells and interesting wrack on the sill of his bedroom window ('No, we'll have to leave that behind, darling. It'll dirty up your trunk!'), of the small crabs scuttling away from the nervous fingers groping beneath the seaweed in the rock-pools, of the swimming and swimming and swimming through the dancing waves - always in those days, it seemed, lit with sunshine - and then the infuriating, inevitable 'time to come out'. It was all there, his own childhood, spread out before him to have another look at. What a long time ago they were, those spade-and-bucket days! How far he had come since the freckles and the Cadbury milk-chocolate Flakes and the fizzy lemonade! Impatiently Bond lit a cigarette, pulled his shoulders out of their slouch and slammed the mawkish memories back into their long-closed file. Today he was a grown-up, a man with years of dirty, dangerous memories - a spy. He was not sitting in this concrete hideout to sentimentalize.about a pack of scrubby, smelly children on a beach scattered with bottle-tops and lolly-sticks and fringed by a sea thick with sun-oil and putrid with the main drains of Royale. He was here, he had chosen to be here, to spy.
Flip open King's The Stand to see how relentless application of these principles make any short scene become a protracted multi-thousand word section. Thus, if there is enough story for 10 000 words, there is enough story for 100 000 words--entirely up to you to what extent you wish to inflate each scene.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I don't think I'd die if I couldn't write, but I'd be damned unhappy. I find after I've written a bit - a few pages, a chapter, something, anything - I feel 100% great. I must release endorphins or something when I'm writing, or the feeling of 'doing something' just makes me feel pretty good.

In fact, my family can tell when I've been too busy to write, or can't because of a full schedule: doctor visits or something. They have actually said to me, 'go write something, will ya?'

I just have a much better day when I'm writing or have written something.

Status
Not open for further replies.