The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelblend

Re: Library of Congress question... again

I managed to get my book in my local library. Didn't understand what the big hold up about them actually putting it into circulation was until I started to read the posts here. I've learned quite a bit here and wish to say thanks to all.

bikrpreacher

Re: GMail

When the publisher won't sell books, the writers are left to their imaginations...and sometimes the ideas are wacky, which match the publisher who won't sell books. Wacky PA.
But, remember, all of the posts that are silly to us, bring people over here...it all adds up in one's mind and one day that light goes on.
Running into AmErica House Book Publishers now, did their contract move over to PublishAmerica, do they consider themselves PA authors now?

Ed Williams 3

Chris, you're right...

...I think a good thread is like a good soap opera, there are some serious elements, some humor, and some "people just being people." I sit back at times and wonder if we all don't look like participants in some kind of online literary drama, which, I guess in a sense, we are. In the end, whether this thread provides useful information to those seeking information, or provides an appealing online "home" for disaffected PA authors, it is serving a worthwhile purpose, and it's an honor to participate in it.

keltora

Re: Library of Congress question... again

In addition to being an author, I am a librarian (Rachel Ward toss of the hair here--LOL--I think I just put a crick in my neck), I can say that we do have two books in our collection from PA. And both are from local authors.

The first one I approved because in spite of the poor editing and writing, it had some good historical information (even though it was fiction), so I suggested we "archive" it in our historical collection where they tend to put self-published materials of local interest of both fiction and nonfiction.

The second was sent us by a local historian we all happened to know, and it was a local history, and it was actually well written and accurate, so we accepted it for the historical collection.

But I have seen several hundred PA books across my desk and have turned them all down on the grounds of poor editing and bad writing, and because libraries, like bookstores, get innundated with too many self-published books. The majority are shipped back with a "no thank you," note.

The ones that do not give us an address to ship to are actually tossed into recycle.

Laura J. Underwood (A Little Bit of Travis Tea--My ATLANTA NIGHTS can poke out your EYE OF ARGON any day!)

bikrpreacher

Re: Pot, meet Kettle...

But I have seen several hundred PA books across my desk and have turned them all down on the grounds of poor editing and bad writing, and because libraries, like bookstores, get innundated with too many self-published books. The majority are shipped back with a "no thank you," note.

Nice to know what you do! So you can tell me, do PublishAmerica authors send you their books? Are you in a huge city so that all of these authors are local? I don't understand why authors would just send you their books, can you say more? Also, if an author talked to you, (a PublishAmerica author), and asked you if you'd like the book, what would you say, do you ever have this happen?
I'm wondering because I have begun to write to book stores and I wonder if they will tell me the truth, since I asked them what they thought of PA.
You do know that most people, when asked, are very polite and don't want to hurt the writers feelings, (which personally I think is too bad, the truth would help more).

James D Macdonald

Re: Pot, meet Kettle...

The basic thing to remember is that Authors Love Their Books.

They will do anything to get them out to readers. I recall the PA author who was paying local kids to put flyers for his book under the windshield wipers of cars parked at the local multi-screen cinema. Talk about your useless promotion! But he was doing it, on the off chance that perhaps it might move one book. Somehow. To someone.

And the PA authors with a box of books in the upstairs hall? What are they going to do with them? Might as well send them to libraries, in the hopes that someone somewhere might see it, like it, and buy a copy.

The primary authorial folly is the belief that if only people would read my book they'll love it as much as I do.

Tim Johnson

Testing, 1...2...3...

Just seeing if this post will post. :D

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Missing Discussion

Looks like there were some substantive posts that failed to come over here (everything from the evening of 10FEB05, looks like).

Victoria, are you going to port 'em, or what?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
oooo different

Hello all, look who drag raced Chris and Renee in her U-haul to get here. :Thumbs:

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
tinasamuels said:
Hello all, look who drag raced Chris and Renee in her U-haul to get here. :Thumbs:
LOL, didn't even know I was here until I found where you could see all the names...going to take me awhile to get used to this. Hello everyone. Nice place.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Ah, so here we be!!!

Damn near broke my fingers trying to find everything, but it's a nice set-up, just will take a few momentos to get used to everything.

Jenna, are there any ICEE avatars?

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
This is pretty different, but I'm looking around and getting the hang of it. :tongue

Sherry

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Well, think about it like this....

...if HB shows the skill and cunning he's used in finding literary agents and publishers, he will never find our new digs!

:PartySmil

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
very nice!

I can finally change me moniker from St. George to me real name!

*stands up*

and I was suckered by PublishAmerica and survived! There is life after PA and friends don't let friends sign with PublishAmerica!!!

*falls off of soapbox*

er... that's all for now.

*slinks off into shadows*

GPS

Banned
Reaction score
Keep Busting the Myths

Lots of good work here. Keep it up.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Lots of good work here. Keep it up.

Sheryl Nantus said:
*falls off of soapbox*

Hey, Sheryl, did you see the cool "Soapbox" smilie?

Hey, we've all been demoted to Junior Members! :poke:

Sherry

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
CIP

I'm going to bring across a couple of my messages from the old board that didn't get copied, just to keep 'em. Originally posted 2/11/05 4:08 pm.

====================

Let's deal with InfoCenter's misinformed twaddle again:

CIP numbers have never been necessary for libraries to stock books. We have seen this even suggested before, but it is a very unusual rumour, and PublishAmerica easily proves the opposite.
Very unusual rumor? PublishAmerica easily disproves it? What? CIP numbers aren't necessary for libraries to stock books -- but CIP or other numbers are necessary for them to catalog and circulate books. Having a CIP number makes it very much easier to get libraries to both stock and circulate books. Some libraries won't even accept books without CIP as a gift.

CIP numbers are not necessary for libraries to order a books. What is necessary is for publishers to have accounts with the book wholesaler that libraries use.
That wholesaler is Baker & Taylor.

PublishAmerica deals directly with the most common wholesaler that libraries use. PublishAmerica has had an account with this wholesaler since our very first day.
Yes, and PA's discount to libraries through B&T is just 5%. When other publishers give 40% through B&T. That's one heck of an incentive for libraries to buy books that aren't reviewed in Library Journal, and are often poorly edited.

Although libraries typically stock only a small percentage of new books published, PublishAmerica books are ordered by libraries each week, both through wholesalers and directly from PublishAmerica.
Ah, the "of all books published" dodge again. We've seen the real numbers, InfoCenter. 791 different titles in libraries out of 7,980 titles listed at Amazon. One of those is in 132 libraries worldwide. The rest are in dribs and drabs, in ones and twos (and those were ordered when a local author begged the library on his knees, or donated the book as a gift, right?). Recall that there are 117,859 libraries in the United States alone. That's dismal. That's worse than dismal. That's horrible.

Although libraries typically stock very few new books, PublishAmerica is proud to have many hundreds of titles stocked in libraries across the nation, and we have many librarians as our authors.
"Very few" is an undefined term.

Many hundreds of titles. 791, to be precise.

Many librarians as authors? That's like many lawyers as authors. Librarians and lawyers can be as naive as any other author. As trusting, as misinformed, and as misled.

How are those many librarians doing as far as getting their books shelved in libraries other than their own?

Last edited:

GPS

Banned
Reaction score
Best-seller at Publishamerica

I ran into this quote reported on a blog.

"Over a period of time I bought and sold about 2,000 books," Cantu writes in an e-mail. "In my quest to publish, I sent out 487 queries over the years and PA responded positively. I decided on PA because they are a young publishing company and I am a first time publisher writer and we both can learn from this journey.

Glad to hear from you. Thanks." Neo Franco Cantú Author of A Destiny Foretold

Nobody can accuse him of not trying to do it the right way before falling into the punchbowl.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Interesting to see...

Quote from PA board: "...steak and lobster dinner..."

Say what?! I'm hoping for enough for an apple pie from Mickey D's. :ROFL:

Then again, maybe they have a less expensive place to have a steak and lobster dinner than we do.

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.