Why the attraction for bad boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in on the conversation*

Well, I will try to hop in. I wanted to say that I think good and evil is in all of us, it's up to us to choose which path to go on. It's just my opinion, but by creating a story about a MC who is an entity that is "evil" in nature (like vampires, werewolfs, etc) who is either trying to go against their inherent nature is a concept I think will garner readers. But that doesn't mean there aren't books of pure hearted heroes who vanquish evil beings. I personally read both but I find books that are doing something different like for instance in Living Violet, a girl starts to fall for a cambion (half human- half incubus). Another side, another story. Having a bad guy as a protagonist makes for a interesting story...which is what I think makes the appeal to the bad boys so to say.

Connie Chastain

Registered
Reaction score
GAH, why does everything always have to come back to politics and religion???

*puts colander on head and climbs into biscuit tin*

If your question is rhetorical, you can skip my reply, if you like. But my reason for bringing up religion was because the original post was about motive -- why girls are attracted to bad boys. And it didn't seem confined just to written characters.

Bad boys (and sweet boys) of necessity indicates the acknowledgment of a more broadly existing good and bad, which would seem to be a good place to investigate motive. Is there any reason it wouldn't be?

For tens of thousands of years, since his earliest days, man has attempted to understand and explain good and bad with religion, so my discussion of motive brought up religion. I think religion is at least as valid in examining human motives as William Golding's theory.

If religion is off-limits in discussions such as this, it would be nice to know.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
For tens of thousands of years, since his earliest days, man has attempted to understand and explain good and bad with religion, so my discussion of motive brought up religion. I think religion is at least as valid in examining human motives as William Golding's theory.

It's not that religion is invalid, so much as it doesn't seem particularly relevant if the argument is "religious tradition portrays demons as evil, therefore it's unrealistic to write them otherwise."

I'd feel the same if someone claimed that, say, Stephen Hawking had said on several occasions that demons were evil and therefore it was unrealistic for them to be written as heroic. I have a lot of respect for Professor Hawking's accomplishments, but if I were being advised to consider his opinion on paranormal romance, I'd want to know what was backing up that opinion.

And to me, Stephen Hawking is a lot more real and valid than religion. :D

If religion is off-limits in discussions such as this, it would be nice to know.
Again, it's not that it's off-limits, but we don't all share religious beliefs or have the same interest in them or belief in their validity.

I personally have no interest in bringing religion into a discussion of concepts or characters in romance (unless the romance or the character is specifically to do with religion).

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If your question is rhetorical, you can skip my reply, if you like.

It was - it was also rather tongue-in-cheek in some half-assed attempt to lighten the mood.

I seem to have failed on both counts :(

But my reason for bringing up religion was because the original post was about motive -- why girls are attracted to bad boys.

[snip]

I think religion is at least as valid in examining human motives as William Golding's theory.

Well, to YOU perhaps it is valid and relevant. To me, religion plays no part in any decision I make or preference I hold. Ever. So, you've made your point that you dislike stories with demons as romantic protagonists. I understand why. I don't really care to go into whether or not demons actually exist. I think that's a bit outside the scope of this thread. :D

It's not off limits, per se, it's just usually very serious and controversial and I really wish I was still in my biscuit tin :chair

Connie Chastain

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I'll remember from now on. Don't bring up things -- even if they're just opinions -- other members have no interest in ....

I would just note before shutting up that every one is under many, many influences of religion, thousands of years of it, whether aware of it or not.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Okay. I'll remember from now on. Don't bring up things -- even if they're just opinions -- other members have no interest in ....

If you want to discuss religious beliefs, there's a specific forum for it. I don't think this is an appropriate thread for that.

And if you bring up points that might be controversial, expect them to be questioned and discussed. Opinions have a great deal more validity when they're backed up with something.

I would just note before shutting up that every one is under many, many influences of religion, thousands of years of it, whether aware of it or not.
In your opinion, which is irrelevant to the topic under discussion.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Whether it's created by them or conveyed by them, my point stands.

No writer is under any obligation to conform to someone else's religious beliefs. If a writer gets an idea for a story where Satan is the romantic hero, I don't see any reason for that writer not to go ahead and write it.

It's a big literary world out there. I think there's room for both the fiction that stays within boundaries and the fiction that shatters them.
"For Love of Evil" was my favorite book of all Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I think (speaking strictly fiction, not real life) that a lot of it has to do with creating conflict. If the character is attracted to a sweet type of guy, it can be more difficult to drum up conflict.

But with a bad boy type, the person attracted to them usually has at least some idea that they shouldnt necessarily be pursuing that type of person, which is instant internal conflict.

Also, that type of character can serve as both an obstacle, love interest, and foil all at once, while enfusing the story with a shade of danger or uncertainty. Bad boys can be unpredictable and get away with having traits that a sweet type wouldn't.

If they are done right. If not, they can seriously come off as the lamest plot device ever.

Aerogurl

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, it is the challenge of "taming" the bad boy sort to speak. I remember when I was 18 and fell for a guy who was 10 years older than me. He was emotionally unavailable to an extreme, but was one of the most passionate lovers I have ever met. In hindsight I realized that although I did like him as a person, I was more attracted to the prospect of being that one girl that made him settle down and/or fall in love.

As for why the bad boy is always prevalent in romance novels, I think I have to agree with what thejamesramos said. Having a good girl go after a bad boy or vice versa, creates great conflict in a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.