The Expat/Emigrant Lounge

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I need to check in here, as I'm an ex-pat with no real pat...

Dennison - surprised to hear that, given what I hear about Tokyo...

BillClarke - Wow! Rather surprised to hear this. (I guess it also depends on the definition of expat community). I've worked in the Mexican community of Los Angeles for a number of years and its humongous. To hear that there is one bigger than this...

Kaitlin - I guess the language you write in depends on what you're most comfortable with. German was my first language, but I left the country as soon as I was done with high school, so I suppose its become a bit frozen. I write in English and a couple of other languages. Writing in German is much harder for me. Btw., I'm a laowai now too.

Helsinki - I thought that with the EU visa regulations would not vary much among countries any more...

Helsinki07

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TerminalVerbosity.com
@Jstwatchin, you'd be surprised. What I'm finding is that while all the Schengen-area countries have the same standard 90 day visit policy for Americans, the requirements for getting to stay longer vary quite a bit. And we're not just looking in Europe. Like I said, Ecuador keeps calling to me...

expat with no real pat--I like it!

Akragth

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Brit living down under (don't worry, I flew in, no boat involved ;)) and I wouldn't go back for anything. Well, not to live at least. It's an amazing country here!

tomz563

Registered
Reaction score
American in Paris here!

Unfortunately, despite having lived here for over 7 months, I haven't been able to improve my very basic level of french a bit. Carte du vin, s'il vous plait is pretty much as far as I can get.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
American in Paris here!

Unfortunately, despite having lived here for over 7 months, I haven't been able to improve my very basic level of french a bit. Carte du vin, s'il vous plait is pretty much as far as I can get.

I'm on my way to becoming an American in Paris. Unfortunately I'm not an expat at the moment (just going into college) but man I love expats and want to be one myself.

How was moving to Paris? I can only imagine it's difficult, but I want to move there after college more than anything in the world. No city ever speaks to me like Paris does. I just got back from there about a month ago.

tomz563

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my way to becoming an American in Paris. Unfortunately I'm not an expat at the moment (just going into college) but man I love expats and want to be one myself.

How was moving to Paris? I can only imagine it's difficult, but I want to move there after college more than anything in the world. No city ever speaks to me like Paris does. I just got back from there about a month ago.

Honestly, it was much easier than I expected. I know Parisians have a reputation for being cold and rude, but I found the opposite to be the case. My only major complaint is that since tipping isn't a part of the culture, service at restaurants tends to be poor. On the other hand however, you can order a cup of coffee and just watch the world pass by for hours without any pressure from the waiter to turn the table. Plus, wine is cheaper than water here, another major plus!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ia Ora Na I was made in Holland and got lost in the South Pacific after roaming this beautiful planet. Thank you for having me "on board!"

Where in the South Pacific? I was scheduled to be assigned there a couple years ago, and it was narrowed down to Fiji or Vanuatu. Program couldn't take me at the last minute, so I ended up here in Africa. I have had a great time in Uganda, but I always wonder how things would have turned out if I'd gone to the SP.

And I'm down to three months left as an expat now before returning to the US! But, I'm getting some interest from UK employers and recruiters, so I might remain an expat for some time longer just in a colder and less dusty place than Uganda.

Cody Lane

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I'm an American living in the UK, I'm not entirely sure I count, what with working for the US government and all. Do I count? I'll say I do. That works.

Wurm13

Registered
Reaction score
Tahiti and her islands… but boy Uganda sounds awesome! I have spent some time in Tanzania and Kenya, love Africa and would very much like to go back to do some volunteer work however my book first lol

Isn't it fun to wonder what would have happened if we had gone somewhere else…? But my mantra is: "Everything is exactly the way it is supposed be and always has been."

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uganda's nice. Because it's not as hot a tourist draw as Kenya or Tanzania, even the tourist areas are much more laid back. I've never been harassed in Uganda like I was in KE or TZ.

Plus, we got gorillas.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
From Paris of the East - Warsaw.

Honestly, it was much easier than I expected. I know Parisians have a reputation for being cold and rude, but I found the opposite to be the case. My only major complaint is that since tipping isn't a part of the culture, service at restaurants tends to be poor. On the other hand however, you can order a cup of coffee and just watch the world pass by for hours without any pressure from the waiter to turn the table. Plus, wine is cheaper than water here, another major plus!

The culture is more more accessible in Western Europe because of the Germanic-Frankish shared past. Try Poland for a challenge. Forget the fact the language is a cypher even for a Pole, the Slavic culture is so different that a shared language does not mean a shared communication.

It is more Asian than Western and more Western than Asian. Just when you think you got it, BAM, another firsthand anecdote appears in your journal.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand; or somewhere in the world
American Living In Thailand

American living in Thailand here. Originally from Twin Cities, MN area. Not an expat.

Living in the province of Nakhon Pathom with my girl. It's a rural area. Not very exciting and we don't travel much, except every ninety days when I have to leave country to renew my visa. I take off for parts unknown. I love Hong Kong! YIPPEE! Her family business keeps her grounded. Living with family (barf) is pretty boring and does put a big damper on things.

Any writer's groups in the Nakhon Pathom area?

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to hear more about rural Thailand and the infamous expat visa-renewal bus, if you have a blog or something!

I've never taken the bus. Ever. Nor would I. Not under any circumstances. If ever it came to that, I would simply dump the girl and her family and head back to the U.S. and that would be the end Thailand for me.

I always fly out to China, Australia, sometimes back to the U.S. for a quick visit. Something like that. I try to pick a new place every time.

Nothing is worth riding a bus. I don't ride them in the United States either.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So... are you saying they are objectively bad in some way, or you just dont ride buses? I ride US buses all the time and love them. Also trains.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
So... are you saying they are objectively bad in some way, or you just dont ride buses? I ride US buses all the time and love them. Also trains.

They are objectively bad in every way and I just don't ride them. I hate buses. I have ridden my share of them in the U.S. I speak from experience. The short rides don't bother me so much, but the long, two day rides will kill you. Never again. Boring. Stinky. Make you sick. You never know what circus clown is going to end up sitting next to you. Icky. Yucky. Ugh.

I've only ridden a few trains. They were just short tours. The longest one was a 2.50 hour tour through the St. Croix River Valley in MN. It was a dinner thing. I could see why people would like to ride on trains. I think I could handle that, especially if I had my own private box.

The absolute best way for me to travel is by my own car or motorcycle. If I were rich, I would take to the road in my car and never leave it. Taking the test and landing my driver's license at age 16 was one of the greatest days of my life. I still love to drive, even now, at the tender age of 49. I have been all over the U.S. and Canada over the years in my vehicles. My children grew up going to a new town almost every weekend in our car. I would love to find a job where that's all I do is drive cars all over the United States. Fun! Write. Drive. Write. Drive. Write. Drive. Write. Drive. Write. Drive. That's the life for me.

Instead I am here in Thailand with my girl and her freakin' family. She made it all sound so wonderful. I thought my family was screwy and kept my distance -- then I met these people -- YIKES! The good news is however, we have two houses being built right now. We are going to break off from the big property here, where the family resides, and move into... whichever one gets done first!

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I just mean that I am not looking to make a permanent residence here in the Magic Kingdom. Just passin' through... though staying a little longer than most visitors.

That is what expatriate means. You get re-patriated when you return. Tourists are not. I have resided in Poland for 13 years but, officially, I owe no loyalty to this country. (I have pledged no allegiance here) This is not my home, despite the fact I have been away from home so long that I no longer have the right to vote!

Apologies for calling you out on it. It is a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
That is what expatriate means. You get re-patriated when you return. Tourists are not. I have resided in Poland for 13 years but, officially, I owe no loyalty to this country. (I have pledged no allegiance here) This is not my home, despite the fact I have been away from home so long that I no longer have the right to vote!

Apologies for calling you out on it. It is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't mind being called out on it. I've never really looked into it and never gotten technical about it. I just go where I want to go and do what I have to do. I don't pledge any allegiances anywhere.

Voting is totally overrated. I never do it. Just more democrazy, mob rule, might is right nonsense. Voting is bad for people and people should wise up and stop doing it. Voting is a joke. Might be different if there was someone actually worth voting for. There isn't.

What about taxes? What do you do about our notorious and terrible IRS?

Things are getting exciting here in the Land Of Smiles. The military took over the government at three o'clock this morning. My understanding of it is that they want to ensure there is no violence and that everything goes smoothly during this latest election.

Lulzerskates.

Politics is always a good laugh-and-a-half.

Last edited:

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mao Zedong, Bestsellers and Taxes.

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
It will be interesting is people who think they are in a democracy realise they are actually living in an oligarchical feudal society too big to fail for anything less than a coup d'etat.

Congrats on yours, by the way.

What about taxes? What do you do about our notorious and terrible IRS?

Canada has an agreement with Poland to avoid double taxation. It's a common thing. Not that I have earned enough to file on a tax form, which I am still obliged to do as a Canadian. I have not earned enough in the last 13 years here to have to pay tax. The minimum is around $5000 and the government would be obliged to pay me a refund were I in Canada. (In Canada I would qualify for Welfare, which I cannot receive living in foreign country).

So I am writing a book, hoping its sales repatriate me. After I get through with the government bureaucrazy, I am sure there will be penalties for non-filing for 13 years, at least I can apply for welfare.

Or... I can just live somwhere and not-GaF. I do not have to be in Canada or anywhere else specific, to be on the New York bestseller list. And if that does not happen, I am stuck where I am anyways.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
So, the Creative Cowboy and the Fictional Cowboy come face to face at last. ;) I usually don't find other folks using "cowboy" often at all. It's great to see you, Creative Cowboy.

I couldn't help but jump into the expat thread. I used to be one myself and I miss it more than I miss anything else in life. I'm an American in Minnesota now but I've lived in the Czech Republic and Ireland. I miss Prague very much. And, although I didn't technically live there, I spent extended periods of time in Germany, Italy, Africa, and the West Indies.

It wasn't until I moved away from the U.S. that I realized that I'm not a weird misfit after all. I've just never lived, or desired, the American lifestyle. I've never found a place here where I felt like I belonged. I don't mean to put Americans down at all. I am one. What I mean is that my personality type and the way I live is more European by nature. Traveling around Europe, I wasn't out of place anywhere I went. I felt at home everywhere. The most common comment I heard from Europeans was that I wasn't like any American they ever met and would I please move to their countrUnfortunately, with the world the way it is today, the days of freely traveling around the world and settling down in another country are almost gone. Terrorism has every country on edge and the new rules and regulations make it so difficult. All because some people and governments aren't content with what they have and they're infected with greed and the lust for power and control. Way to ruin the world Big Business, World Governments, and Special Interest Groups! Not to mention how they love to blame everyone else for all the world problems except themselves.

The most difficult decision I ever had to make was coming back to the U.S. I thought it was going to kill me at times. I miss traveling. I'd love to experience living in more places like Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Wales, Poland, Costa Rica, Scotland, England, Canada, Norway and Sweden. Hopefully, some day I can.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
So, the Creative Cowboy and the Fictional Cowboy come face to face at last. ;) I usually don't find other folks using "cowboy" often at all. It's great to see you, Creative Cowboy.

I couldn't help but jump into the expat thread. I used to be one myself and I miss it more than I miss anything else in life. I'm an American in Minnesota now but I've lived in the Czech Republic and Ireland. I miss Prague very much. And, although I didn't technically live there, I spent extended periods of time in Germany, Italy, Africa, and the West Indies.

It wasn't until I moved away from the U.S. that I realized that I'm not a weird misfit after all. I've just never lived, or desired, the American lifestyle. I've never found a place here where I felt like I belonged. I don't mean to put Americans down at all. I am one. What I mean is that my personality type and the way I live is more European by nature. Traveling around Europe, I wasn't out of place anywhere I went. I felt at home everywhere. The most common comment I heard from Europeans was that I wasn't like any American they ever met and would I please move to their countrUnfortunately, with the world the way it is today, the days of freely traveling around the world and settling down in another country are almost gone. Terrorism has every country on edge and the new rules and regulations make it so difficult. All because some people and governments aren't content with what they have and they're infected with greed and the lust for power and control. Way to ruin the world Big Business, World Governments, and Special Interest Groups! Not to mention how they love to blame everyone else for all the world problems except themselves.

The most difficult decision I ever had to make was coming back to the U.S. I thought it was going to kill me at times. I miss traveling. I'd love to experience living in more places like Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Wales, Poland, Costa Rica, Scotland, England, Canada, Norway and Sweden. Hopefully, some day I can.

Aboriginal Minnesotan here. Born in St. Paul, raised in the Mississippi, Minnesota, and St. Croix River valleys. Lived there for 36 years, then did a stint in Nevada for the last thirteen years. I met my girl in Las Vegas and she just happened to be a Thai. So, here I am in Thailand these days.

I hear you, on our "brightest and best" not quite being able to pull it off and have a stable, successful government -- anywhere! It's all about them. It's all about ego. They screw everything up and are held accountable for absolutely nothing they do, and we go on paying their bills for them. When are we gonna learn?

We're not.

Proud non-voter, non-tax-paying, non-participant here. I can't do anything to help "society"; no, I just can't have things like that on my conscience. Let them buy their own bullets to kill and control the sheople with.

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
It will be interesting is people who think they are in a democracy realise they are actually living in an oligarchical feudal society too big to fail for anything less than a coup d'etat.

Congrats on yours, by the way.

Canada has an agreement with Poland to avoid double taxation. It's a common thing. Not that I have earned enough to file on a tax form, which I am still obliged to do as a Canadian. I have not earned enough in the last 13 years here to have to pay tax. The minimum is around $5000 and the government would be obliged to pay me a refund were I in Canada. (In Canada I would qualify for Welfare, which I cannot receive living in foreign country).

So I am writing a book, hoping its sales repatriate me. After I get through with the government bureaucrazy, I am sure there will be penalties for non-filing for 13 years, at least I can apply for welfare.

Or... I can just live somwhere and not-GaF. I do not have to be in Canada or anywhere else specific, to be on the New York bestseller list. And if that does not happen, I am stuck where I am anyways.

Me, too. I keep the earnings way, way down, and don't have to file any tax forms and don't have to have anything like buying bullets for the army to go start another unlawful, unkind, unthinking, war of aggression against people who have done nothing to us.

I don't know how the laws work in Canada, but in the US, if you make under a certain amount, you don't have to file a tax return.

I've never been on welfare, nor would I ever, never called a cop, never asked for any kind of government services whatsoever.

I don't work here in Thailand, except to help my girl out once in a while. She runs the family resort business and every now and again I have to perform some tasks and run some errands. Yesterday I had to drive into Bangkok to get supplies from the market. Today I was cleaning fish in the big kitchen before the big Buddha ceremony to take place later on this morning (no, I'm not a Buddhist. Rabid anti-theist here.). Anyway, for the most part, I just keep up my workouts and spend all my time writing and traveling and basically doing whatever I darn well please.

I haven't published anything to date. Working and thinking and learning and writing a great deal on my memoir. It's just something I have been compelled to do for a long time now and I am taking the time and space that I need to get it all done. Lots of time and space here in the Magic Kingdom. Yes, even under martial law. This is the first time I have ever lived under martial law outside of the United States. It's going to be interesting to see what happens and what develops over the next few weeks. Will the military maintain law and order (even though there isn't any to begin with) while this latest round of elections gets underway, or will they only help to plunge Seveneleveland into a catastrophic civil war? Things are already laughable as can be, but now they're actually getting interesting. Stay tuned.