Vladimir Zhironovsky orders 2 male aides to 'violently rape' pregnant journalist during press conf

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That is truly horrible. Can't think of a punishment too harsh for this piece of garbage.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Zhirinovsky today said in a nationwide TV interview:

'When talking to the press in the Duma on Friday, answering questions at the end, I spoke a bit rudely when I replied to a young woman.
'I did not even see her at first, and it turns out that she is in a certain condition, pregnant. I offer my apologies to her and to everyone, if I happened to offend someone...'

I'd say she and everyone in that room were a bit "offended".

God, don't we want justice for this punk?!

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
What charges can be filed here? There was no actual sexual assault, right? (Although one of the aides did touch her and looked like he leaned in to try and kiss her) but we're talking about his saying completely disgusting and repugnant. It's horrible that he said those things, and if it were say the US, I'd say let's start a campaign to have him removed from office, or pressure him to resign. But in that country, is there any real recourse?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
What charges can be filed here?

It's a dictatorship. As such, if the dictator wishes charges to be filed, charges will be filed; and if he doesn't, they won't. What the charges would actually be is irrelevant, I fear.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Zhirinovsky? Hadn't heard of that asshole in years.

He was a co-founder of the Liberal-Democratic Party. I'm not sure what those words mean in Russia, but Zhirinovsky's positions and statements tended to be authoritarian, ultra-nationalistic, militaristic, racist, misogynist, and anti-Jewish (including denying that his father was a Jew).

Awesome dude.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MrNumbahOne

Registered
Reaction score
What the fucking fuck?

America's scummy rape commenters got nothing on Russia. Why do they tolerate this? Surely Putin would want to distant himself from this.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Russia has been ramping up the crazy about Ukraine for a couple of months now, with a bizarre, patriotic, WWII-invoking misinformation campaign painting Ukraine as a land of apocalyptic Mad Max struggles between evil Ukrainian neo-Nazis and stalwart Russian heroes.

Mr. Zhirinovsky seems like a piece of work. And that's layered on top of the heightened emotions -- and the crazy alternate reality -- in Russia about Ukraine right now.

MrNumbahOne

Registered
Reaction score
Russia has been ramping up the crazy about Ukraine for a couple of months now, with a bizarre, patriotic, WWII-invoking misinformation campaign painting Ukraine as a land of apocalyptic Mad Max struggles between evil Ukrainian neo-Nazis and stalwart Russian heroes.

Mr. Zhirinovsky seems like a piece of work. And that's layered on top of the heightened emotions -- and the crazy alternate reality -- in Russia about Ukraine right now.

I really don't think even Russia actually believes it. Putin wants to increase Russian borders is all. The rest is just to have some kind of an excuse. 94% of Russians support the intervention of Ukraine. And wasn't there some Russian high-official that said that if a gay man died, his heart needed to be burned and buried because they couldn't be used as transplants? And he got support when he was (barely) criticized?

Quit being a video game villain, Russia.

Last edited:

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Re: His "apology": Because it'd be okay to threaten her with rape were she not pregnant.

Wtf.

George Combe

Registered
Reaction score
Zhironovsky

See what can happen when there's no freedom of speech? As in everything, repression breeds perversion.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
What the fucking fuck?

America's scummy rape commenters got nothing on Russia. Why do they tolerate this? Surely Putin would want to distant himself from this.

That would mean standing up for decency and (even worse) The Press.

Remember, this is Putin we're talking about here. He probably gave Zhironovsky a medal for putting them in their place (women and The Press, they got a two-for-one on this).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Since the days of Czar Peter the Great, Russia has pined for cultural acceptance and respect from the West. Yet, somehow, they keep coming up with people like this guy, and Putin, with his tacit support of officially-sanctioned homophobia. Among other atrocities.

I don't have an answer.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Since the days of Czar Peter the Great, Russia has pined for cultural acceptance and respect from the West. Yet, somehow, they keep coming up with people like this guy, and Putin, with his tacit support of officially-sanctioned homophobia. Among other atrocities.

I don't have an answer.

caw
I think one of the things we forget is that Russia is not the West.

For a while, it seemed they might be. With Gorbachev and Glasnost and a large segment of the Russian population turning toward the West, and seeming to embrace Western cultural values, it looked like things were changing and they were on a path to becoming a different country.

But there has always been undercurrent of Russian nationalism, of building a Slavic society that is as powerful as the west but not of the west. At that nationalism has seemed to have taken over with a vengeance.

In the middle east, we have finally come to realize that it is a different culture and to expect them to be just like us is foolish. And although Russia is an industrial society, believing that they are just like us, holding the same cultural values and having the same aspirations is equally foolish.

Vladimir Putin is a terrible person. But let's not forget, he is extremely popular in Russia – possibly because of, not in spite of his autocratic ways. He is the face of the new Russia. And this new Russia seems very similar to a very old Russia.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the things we forget is that Russia is not the West.

Nor was it ever conquered by Napoleon. I think that has been a major impediment to development in Russia. It was after the fall of Napoleon that the conquered-by-Napoleon Austrian-Hungarian Empire radically introduced Enlightenment and industrialisation to many nations that hadn't had it before (Baltics, Halych-Volynia.) The introduction of Marxism into Russia, apart from an attempt to even out the vast income disparities, was introducing the reforms that Napoleon had forced upon the rest of Europe and what the Decembrists had attempted to get Tsar Alexander I to put in place. There was some success, there were some failures. It is now where it is.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
In the middle east, we have finally come to realize that it is a different culture and to expect them to be just like us is foolish. And although Russia is an industrial society, believing that they are just like us, holding the same cultural values and having the same aspirations is equally foolish.

True. And for that matter, assuming everyone in the west holds the same cultural values as most of us do is also an exercise in futility.

I would not put this kind of behavior completely past some of our own democratically elected officials (or certain media icons), to be honest.

Last edited: