best and worst states to retire in

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about you but it was 70 degrees today and I was sweltering. I have no idea how Southerners can stand it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
California's a lousy place to live if you're on a fixed income. Housing is expensive here. Some retirees do all right here if they live in a pricey neighborhood, sell their house at the right time, then move to a smaller place in a less expensive part of the state. Many of our cities and towns have cruddy public transit. I don't know if they looked at this, but it should have been a factor, as there's a point when many older folks have to hang up the car keys. SF is a good place to live if you can't drive, but only if you have a lot of money. Ease of getting around when you're old should be a factor too, though it doesn't look like it was in this particular survey. I'd guess that Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska wouldn't receive high marks in the ease of getting around without a car and/or good driving skills department.

That's why you move somewhere family can help take care of you.

Alternatively, our department head's retirement plan is house-hopping, staying with all of her former doctoral students, who — in order to graduate — have to agree to help take care of her in her old age.

Which I think is pretty brilliant.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I like living where i do, in Alaska, if I had enough money to be able to exercise complete freedom in choosing a retirement locale, it would be southern British Columbia, around Lake Okanagan.

Vladimir Putin has "annexed" Crimea. Back in the early 19th century there was a movement in the U.S. to claim territory as far north as 54 degrees 40 minutes latitude, which would have connected the west coast all the way to the panhandle of Alaska. That would have got us British Columbia, which, of course, would have required being renamed.

Damn shame how it worked out.

caw

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I like living where i do, in Alaska, if I had enough money to be able to exercise complete freedom in choosing a retirement locale, it would be southern British Columbia, around Lake Okanagan.

Vladimir Putin has "annexed" Crimea. Back in the early 19th century there was a movement in the U.S. to claim territory as far north as 54 degrees 40 minutes latitude, which would have connected the west coast all the way to the panhandle of Alaska. That would have got us British Columbia, which, of course, would have required being renamed.

Damn shame how it worked out.

caw

You could just become Canadian, dontcha know?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I am retired in Florida, I love Florida, but I'm still considering moving because the freaking insurance rates are through the roof and rising. In the past twelve years my insurance rates have more than tripled. I now pay ELEVEN TIMES as much for home insurance here as I did on a more expensive house in Illinois. Plus, my sinkhole coverage (can you say sinkhole capital of the world?) has a $20,000 deductible. And let's not even talk about flood insurance.

I'm nostaglic about Illinois insurance now. "You want the tornado rider? That'll add $20 a year...and the mine subsidence rider is going to run you $9 a year..."

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're looking at retirement in the next couple of months and will probably stay here (SE Texas) unless our kids ever move away. I love the heat mostly, and otherwise there's always A/C and my swimming pool. We're looking at wintering over elsewhere rather than moving, at places even warmer than our mild winters. But to each their own.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Many of our cities and towns have cruddy public transit. I don't know if they looked at this, but it should have been a factor, as there's a point when many older folks have to hang up the car keys.

That's actually one of the reasons we moved to the Portland metro area. Public transit is great here. Light rail, streetcars, city buses, and Amtrak for longer trips.

That, and some other practical things, such as not being in a drought region (after living for many years in Texas and SoCal, water is something I think about). And we just like it here. Fun. Pretty. Temperate climate. Close to beach and mountains, and desert too!

Now if the rest of our family would move here, we'd be set.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
With the greatest possible respect...are you freaking insane?!

Unless you have family here (and you may well do, in which case feel free to ignore me) why in the world would you want to move here? We want to retire to your country!
Because London feels like home to me in a way no city in the US ever has.

Everywhere I go, I feel like I'm just playing a part, but in London, I feel like myself. I cry every time I have to leave like I'm leaving one of my kids behind or something.

It's not a sound financial decision, I know. But it's a dream to retire in the one place that I really feel like I belong.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com

Alternatively, our department head's retirement plan is house-hopping, staying with all of her former doctoral students, who — in order to graduate — have to agree to help take care of her in her old age.

That is pretty damn brilliant, and a good way for her students to give back to her in old age.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Because London feels like home to me in a way no city in the US ever has.

Everywhere I go, I feel like I'm just playing a part, but in London, I feel like myself. I cry every time I have to leave like I'm leaving one of my kids behind or something.

It's not a sound financial decision, I know. But it's a dream to retire in the one place that I really feel like I belong.

I love London, too. It was a great place for me to live as someone who can't drive. It's very easy to get around. I liked the diversity, and the food. However, I have lived there on a fixed income, and I don't want to do that again.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I want out of NJ so badly it isn't even funny. I love my home state, but it's way too expensive to live in - saving has been impossible for us. My husband's in construction and that industry took such a hit when the economy tanked. It's starting to recover, but sloooooooowly. His union had roughly 300 guys on the bench for the better part of three years, so our savings went the way of the dodo. At the rate we're going, retirement won't even be an option if we don't get out soon.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Well, my mom lives in So Cal, and she's welcome to move up here to Sacramento, but I doubt she wants to. Her friends and social life are down there, as are all her memories. She's financially secure, but I don't know what will happen when she can't drive anymore. Orange County is a tough place to get around without a car, and many of the things she likes to do are far from her house and involve her dogs (not welcome on public transit or taxis).

My brother lives down south, but he works 60 hour weeks, and lives about an hour away and has three kids of his own that need driving everywhere. I doubt he has time to be mom's (and her dogs') Chauffeur, especially because he already resents the dogs a bit, because mom's been known to spend weekends at nosework trials instead of attending her grandkids' soccer tourneys.

When I'm old, I won't have kids to stay with, and while I'm fond of my nieces and nephews, I wouldn't say I'm close enough to them to not be resented if they had to care for me. My husband and I are putting the money we're not spending on college for kids we don't have into 403B plans. Of course, that puts our retirement at the mercy of the stock market.

Hmm, well, that might work if you don't have any complex living requirements or a desire to have a place of your own. Living in someone else's house can be pretty trying, especially if you have animals, are a packrat, or like a lot of time to yourself. I always feel exhausted after either being or having a house guest form more than a day or two. I'm an introvert and like to have my own space. And I don't have grad students, being that I teach at a community college.

I love many things about CA, but I've tried to escape from the place a few times. Once for grad school in CO, and once for a position in Northern NY. It was enjoyable to live in both places, but CA was the only place where one of us could get a job in a college system that paid adjunct instructors (for the trailing spouse, as they're called in academia) halfway decently. I'd be for moving somewhere else when retirement time comes, but my husband hates places where it rains a lot (he grew up in Oregon).

Last edited:

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
I fully expected to see Minnesota near the top of this list. It's on all the lists. It's a wonderful place but I wouldn't mind the chance to winter somewhere warmer.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed - London is ruinously expensive even by English standards.

Housing costs certainly are, but some things are cheaper because there's more competition. And there are services that you can't get outside London (and a few other major cities).

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd think family would be my main consideration of where I move when I retire.
Not old fashioned at all, but I would think a very popular consideration. We're staying in Wisconsin because our 2 children and 2 grandchildren live here. But we also like our house/neighborhood and have a little shack "up north".

Of course it helps that we are fortunate enough to be able to get out of here for part of the winter.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who just survived another snowbird season on the southwest coast of Florida, I'm thrilled they ranked Florida at the bottom. Maybe a few prospective retirees will stay away. From May to April they clog our roads, beaches, restaurants, and book every available appointment at the doctors/hair salons/dog groomers/whatever. Seriously, I have to book six months of hair appointments by August just to make sure I can get my hair cut and highlighted in February!

Yeah, I know, they contribute to the local economy, generate jobs, blah, blah, blah. I get it. But the galling thing is that they act like they own the place, are notorious for treating our service workers like crap, and drive at 20-30 mph slower than the posted speed limit because "ooo, look, beach!"

Even with all of that, though, I love it here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm a native Texan, grew up near Dallas, and I've also lived in Colorado. I get cold and the joints in my fingers ache if the temps fall below 70F. I don't just hate cold, I despise it. I live seven minutes from one of the top rated beaches in the U.S. and get to enjoy great fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, and other outdoor sports year round. The cost of living here isn't quite as low as it was in Texas, but it's reasonable. We have quick access to great healthcare, extensive cultural resources and activities, and live in a place many people save all year for just to spend a week on vacation.

Um... but don't tell the retirees about all that good stuff. Nope, nothing to see here...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You guys'll actually be able to retire?! I wish I were joking.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My folks, on retiring, lived on a boat in the PNW for years - splitting time between Alaska and Puget Sound, Washington. They absolutely loved it.

Two years ago, they moved to Texas, on the Gulf Coast. They absolutely love it.

Lists like these are fine, as one source of information, and not a directive. By nature, the compilers have to assume a general set of criteria that will certainly not suit everyone, or even most people.

Hey, everyone likes to see their state on a list, so it's fun reading. I sure wouldn't bother getting worked up over it.

Especially since I'd probably cross off the top five of any list - because one of my priorities is avoiding queues. (Plus, I already live in Sydney; I'm not going anywhere!)

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd think family would be my main consideration of where I move when I retire.

Wow never really thought that far ahead before.

Not old fashioned at all, but I would think a very popular consideration. We're staying in Wisconsin because our 2 children and 2 grandchildren live here. But we also like our house/neighborhood and have a little shack "up north".

Of course it helps that we are fortunate enough to be able to get out of here for part of the winter.

Although I'm quite a few years away from retirement, family considerations are already becoming a major factor in life decisions for those of my friends who have grandchildren...and it's not necessarily simple where the family are distributed around the globe.

Ms Kiwi and I have recently been discussing a looming possibility, whereby in a few years time her children who have lived in London all their lives, and my children who have lived here all their lives, may all have children of their own.

We're almost certainly settled here, since Ms Kiwi has dual citizenship...but we already have a need to maintain the financial means to spend quite a bit of time on the opposite side of the world, and it may potentially become a lot more so.

So yes, kuwi, I think for most people family is definitely a factor.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That's actually one of the reasons we moved to the Portland metro area. Public transit is great here. Light rail, streetcars, city buses, and Amtrak for longer trips.

That, and some other practical things, such as not being in a drought region (after living for many years in Texas and SoCal, water is something I think about). And we just like it here. Fun. Pretty. Temperate climate. Close to beach and mountains, and desert too!

Now if the rest of our family would move here, we'd be set.

I adore Portland, but every time I mention how much I'd love living there, my husband (his family lives in Eugene, so he knows the Pacific Northwest well) gets a repressive look on his face and mutters, "Everyone thinks that about Oregon until they go six months without seeing the sun." Portland isn't exactly cheap either. At least not so we could sell our Sacramento house and have a ton of money to play with for buying something up there.

Anyway, retirement's a long way off, so the only way we're moving out of Sacramento any time soon is if I sell a novel, land a lucrative multi-book contract, and they sell so well my husband and I can BOTH give up our day jobs.

Not gonna happen.

Actually, as CA cities go, Sacramento wouldn't be horrible for retirement. It's a lot more affordable than most of CA. It's a bit dull, but it's still a city, and the bay area and Tahoe are both within 2 hours when traffic is good. It's got a light rail system and a lot of busses, though it's a bit too spread out for them to be fully efficient. It's still a better place to live if you have a car, but some of my students get around via public transit. The summers are hot, but not Arizona hot (it usually cools off at night), and some very old folks like to bake their bones anyway.

I would just love to live somewhere with more parks and open space, however, and where my backyard doesn't turn to dirt in the summer, and I didn't have to let the pee ferment in the toilets between flushes :tongue

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite happy where I am in CA. And not planning to move when I retire.