Dzien dobry!

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
dzien dobry! I am a graduate of the one month summer immersion program in Wroclaw, and have a C+ in kindergarten Polish. WHAT did you say about not complicated? Except for ... dokenany, nie dokenany, and declining nouns, it's a piece of cake! Every Pole wants a piece of cake :D
Milo mi cie poznac! Have been looking for ways to practise Polish.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! How was Wroclaw? What did you like about it? Congrats on finishing the immersion program.:)

Pacze Moj

Registered
Reaction score
Website
paczemoj.blogspot.com
Cześć / Hello,

Witam z Kanady, gdzie jednak jest trochę Polaków, ale też miło, że i na takich forach się znajdujemy.

:)

It's also neat to see that non-Poles are interested in Polish and Slavic mythology. You probably know more about it than I do (*ahem*). But I do love old Polish cinema and I've read a sampling of Polish literature. I've even done a bit of translating: Tuwim, Brzechwa.

Cheers!

PS: To the original question -- the Polish-English (and English-Polish) online dictionaries I use most often are:

http://megaslownik.pl/slownik/polsko_angielski/
http://en.bab.la/dictionary/polish-english/

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Witam z Pennsylvanie.

What Polish lit do you like? I've read some Sapkowski and started Desert and Wilderness in Polish but never finished. I started reading The Trilogy in English but the style eventually frustrated me unfortunately.

I could use something basic and fun. Maybe some Polish YA..

Pacze Moj

Registered
Reaction score
Website
paczemoj.blogspot.com
I never got through much Sienkiewicz in Polish. I had W pustyni i w puszczy read to me when I was a kid (but without the violence) and picked up Ogniem i mieczem a few times, but just as often put it back down.

Something contemporary I enjoyed was Jerzy Pilch's Spis cudzołożnic. Proza podróżna.

If you like science fiction, there's Adam Wiśniewski-Snerg. Less well-known than Lem or Zajdel, but good. And someone recently pointed me toward Jacek Dukaj's Lód but I can't vouch because I haven't read. It's a brick and comes out in English translation next year.

YA fiction: I don't know about nowadays, but if you don't mind older books, there's Alfred Szklarski's series of "Tomek" novels. Basic boy's adventures, but they were popular. Zbigniew Nienacki's another one. He wrote a bunch of mysteries about a character called "Pan Samochodzik." The more-propagandistic passages might leave you rolling your eyes, though. If humor's more your thing and you like stories set in schools, try Edmund Niziurski.

Władysław Reymont's Bunt sounds interesting and I've wanted to get my hands on a copy for a long time. It was published in 1922, is an allegory of the Bolshevik Revolution, and is about animals taking over a farm. Take that, Orwell!

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I bet my Polish grammar hasn't been good enough to read even YA for years. I blame later taking Spanish with my Polish professor. You haven't lived until you arrive at office hours and greet her with: Buenas tardes, Pani Professora. ;)

Children's I could do, probably up to chapter books. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions :) Dziękuję.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
!Hola! Whoops, wrong thread... lol
Dziekujemy, Fenika. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Poland until all 3 kids got Chicken Pox (Ospa!) I occasionally throw phrases at my Polish bank lady, and have now found a native Pole here in my town, who is also in a club with me. :D I practised 'milo cie widziec' for a week before I saw her. I can tell this will be fun.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is kinda exciting to have so many Poles and Slavs posting (I can say Slavs, right?!?! Or should I just stick with Slavic folk?)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well yes, but I thought I'd single the Poles out cuz I'm biased ;)

Even if most of my family in Europe actually lives in Czech since they shifted the border to the Olza River...

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Truth be told, it has a ring not entirely positive. A bit like if you kept calling Germans and Swedes "Aryans"... I believe not many people in Eastern Europe think of themselves as Slavs these days -- apart from neopagans and people preoccupied with racial theories.

Pacze Moj - we take Ferdydurke in High School... but I agree WG is a feast for a more developed palate.

Last edited:

BillWobbleSword

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevenowad.com
Polish thread? There's a Polish thread? Ale jaja, I should come to this site more often. I'm a Canadian who lived in Poland after the Commies got turfed. My new crime novel is set in Polska at that time. Maybe I could've used some of you for verification of things Polish. Oh well, maybe next time.

Czesc, by the way.

www.stevenowad.com

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Truth be told, it has a ring not entirely positive. A bit like if you kept calling Germans and Swedes "Aryans"... I believe not many people in Eastern Europe think of themselves as Slavs these days -- apart from neopagans and people preoccupied with racial theories.

Pacze Moj - we take Ferdydurke in High School... but I agree WG is a feast for a more developed palate.

Actually, I would think it was more like Norse than Aryan. Aryan refers more to the Iranians than it does Germans.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Bill :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thought I'd jump into this forum with a bit of news:

The Polish edition of Of Marriageable Age came out on 26th September 2012. This is the quickest I've ever had a book go from initial publisher's offer (December 2011) to publication -- and it includes translation into Polish -- at 700 pages, quite a lot of translation too! It seems they are promoting it widely as well, according to google.

Anyway, I got six free copies. I am giving three away to people I know, keeping one for myself -- and have one on offer to any AW who wants it, first come first served! Maybe a donation toward postage, and the book is free. I live in Germany, btw.

If you're interested, send me a pm.

Here's a link to it on Germany's Amazon, where is says it was published on January 12th, which is blatantly wrong! I didn't even have the contract on that date!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Merry Christmas to all Polish speakers!

I just googled the name of my book in Polish and it seems it is all over the Polish web... hope that translates to good sales! Google translations seens to indicate that it's getting good reviews.

Anyway, there's also a YouTube of someone speaking about it, apparently on Polish TV. I wonder if someone could have a look and give me the gist of what she is saying?
Thanks!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I lost the subscription to this thread. Aruna- That's awesome! Do you still need the video translated?

Bees- my Polish grammar is dire, so I'm no help. There is a big translation forum that has entire Slavic subforums... I havent been in years though.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, she talls fastttt. She starts with generals, then gets into premise right before the 1min mark. She talks about how the book is divided up and I think she had good things to say about dialogue and action bt she was going too fast.

Skipping ahead to minute seven, she's countig points about the book... And um, does your story have a discussion of pooping habits between cultures, cuz that's what I understood, lol. Seems to be a minor point, but she said herself everyone does it.

And then she wraps up and seemed positive and I think she ended with a contest or somesuch.

I might have to slow her down to be any more use than that, lol.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Just back from Poznan!
I was invited as the guest speaker at a conference called Literature in English Symposium (LIES) at the University. I had a wonderful time: they were suck kind hospitable hosts and they seem to have a "thing" for Guyanese authors -- I am the third in ten years! I did not learn much Polish, though. I took to counting the consonants in Polish words to see if I could find the record -- the longest word I found had eight consonants together, only two vowels, both at the end! Don't ask me what the word was, though.
Did some sightseeing in Poznan and will post some photos later, maybe.

Last edited: