Australia is breaking my heart :(

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Woman who miscarried on Christmas Island told to lower her expectations
'They keep telling me that you are in detention centre and should not expect a lot,' says Iranian asylum seeker who begged for ultrasound – as doctors on island highlight systemic failure.

Isn't it amusing how many of these abuses have taken place on an island named for the birthday of the supposedly most compassionate savior of humanity*.

caw

*Yes, I know it got named because it was discovered on Christmas day. Still . . .

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Australians all let us rejoice
for we are young and free.
But if you came to us by boat,
good care is not for thee.
The ideology prevails
if you're down on your luck,
that we shall sing with joyful strains,
that 'off you'd better fuck'.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

AgentCooper

Renowned Hack
Registered
Reaction score
Whaaaat. The ABC is one of the few sources I turn to to get my English-language news. Australia is great for not being douche-nozzles. Are the powers that be wanting them to be more douche-nozzles than prior?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to do something productive, but then someone pointed me in the direction of Birmo's piece on Abbott's snit.

Somebody call the waaaambulance - the ABC has been mean to Abbott

Thanks for that - it cheered me up :) Especially
That would have made John Howard shudder. Not because Howard loved the ABC. No Prime Minister since Menzies has. But because Howard knew that, as soon as you start complaining, you're done. You look like a loser. You are a loser. You don't look like a bloke who's got the ticker for the hard work.
Abbott disgraced himself yesterday, and he disgraced his mentor in doing it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There'd have been blood on somebody's hands...

I miss those days. :cry:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And this, I promise is probably the last time I link to Junkee

You saw your brother get shot in the face last week, for refusing to join the local militia. You’ve been receiving death threats for months. Your wife comes home from the market and tells you, “It’s time. We have to get out.”

Naturally, you get out your iPad and look up the website of the Australian Customs. If you’re going to flee for your life you want to make sure you’re fleeing correctly.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Look! A nice thing!

West Australian Greens Sen Scott Ludlam in an address to PM Abbott.

“Prime Minister, you are welcome to take your heartless, racist exploitation of people’s fears and ram it as far from Western Australia as your taxpayer-funded travel entitlements can take you,” he says, in a sentence which you can only imagine read very differently in the first draft. “We want our country back. Through chance, misadventure and, somewhere, a couple of boxes of misplaced ballot papers, we’ve been given the opportunity to take it back: just one seat, next April 5, and a whole lot more in 2016.

“Game on, Prime Minister. See you out West.”

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I've watched the clip and read the transcript and it just doesn't get old.

Just as the reign of the dinosaurs was cut short to their great surprise, it may be that the Abbott government will appear as nothing more than a thin, greasy layer in the core sample of future political scientists drilling back into the early years of the 21st century.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
So what do we reckon about the defo case brought against the Chaser lads by the dog accused of having sex with Chris Kenny? Will it mean the end of hyperbolic statements in the media? If so, won't that leave News Ltd short of copy and result in the precipitous closure of the Daily Tele?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what do we reckon about the defo case brought against the Chaser lads by the dog accused of having sex with Chris Kenny? Will it mean the end of hyperbolic statements in the media? If so, won't that leave News Ltd short of copy and result in the precipitous closure of the Daily Tele?

We can but dream.

A News Ltd columnist who was depicted having sex with a dog in the ABC's political satire program The Hamster Decides has won a preliminary skirmish in his ongoing defamation battle with the broadcaster, with a judge finding the segment was capable of conveying "defamatory imputations".

But the judge also found that the segment did not convey the suggestion that the columnist was a "pervert who had sex with dogs".
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...preme-court-20140306-349ot.html#ixzz2vB465Keo

Well that's a little bit of having it both ways, isn't it, Judge?

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Australia has institutionalised mental torture on a massive scale, and facilitates the physical abuse of asylum seekers by sending them to places with inadequate medical facilities and an unacceptable risk of contracting malaria, dengue fever, cholera or infectious diarrhoea. They can’t believe that we do this to pregnant women and newborn babies. But we do.

<snip>

What can we do? We can speak out. We can write to our local members. We can tell our friends in Australia and overseas the truth about what is happening at Manus. The same truth that has been reported by Amnesty, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and countless advocates. The truth that is communicated by brave men in detention at great personal risk. The truth that the government denies and is trying to suppress. The more we talk, the more pressure we place on the Abbott government to act in accordance with international human rights obligations.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/sleep...htmare-ends-20140422-zqxq2.html#ixzz2zeeaTvkq[/QUOTE]