Heat level change in a series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karalynnlee.com
Is this acceptable? Would you recommend just setting clear expectations for each book in the series or is it worth trying to shove them into the same level of spiciness?

I'm working on a duology with the first turning out to be a gentler romantic fantasy, and the second a rather more explicit fantasy romance -- one of my worries is that since it's just two books, it's going to be an abrupt change rather than the sort of gradual ramping up that a reader might be able to bail on with less shock.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
I don't see it being a problem if it's a 2-->3, or a 3-->4 situation. It probably wouldn't be the best idea to go from 1 (sweet)-->4/5 (anything goes explicit sex). I would never advise trying to force a heat level if the story doesn't warrant it though :)

Regardless of the jump, I think clear expectations can be set through the cover art and blurb even when a series is in play. In my experience, readers don't always read the content notes, so it's best to be safe. I got burned by this phenomenon early on--my first cover and blurb didn't properly convey the sexual content, and an unsuspecting reader got quite offended.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I think it depends. Some folks are very sensitive to 'heat level' in books. I have in mind readers who prefer the 'sweet' end of the spectrum. They may have a specific 'cutoff point' as to what they will tolerate.

So it depends on how 'spicy' the first book is.

If the first book pretty much closes the bedroom door and talks about 'overwhelmed with passion' and folks saying, 'Oh, heck," then I'd be careful of turning the heat up to any extent.

If the first book is a good deal more explicit, then I think you have more freedom to step it up another rung.

All else being equal, I'd stick with one heat level for a series.
Just my thought.

Last edited:

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
IMO, if book 1 isn't sexy, the heat level on the subsequent books should be brought down. It doesn't mean sex should be removes, but non-explicit scenes, gloss over, fade to black would certainly help keep things even.

The main problem is that a certain reader buys into any given series. This book is sweet, so sweet readers invest in that-- their time, their money, their affection for the characters and author. Then the next book comes out and those sweet readers are hit with a not-so-sweet book. It's not the kind of book they expect, the kind they want to read, and they drop the series.

By the same token, a reader who likes things hot nabs the book 2 and loves it. She realizes its a series and grabs the first one, only to find it's not hot enough for her. DNF and she doesn't bother watching for a book 3.

Like Layla said, it doesn't need to be even, just close.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Very good question. I've often wondered this, as well. It's difficult when you have a series that switches from two MC's with two characters in a subplot, and when book two takes off with the subplot characters... well, you get the gist.

Karalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karalynnlee.com
I would never advise trying to force a heat level if the story doesn't warrant it though :)

Yeah, I wouldn't drag the story kicking and screaming into a different heat level, but there's some amount of conscious tweaking I could probably do.

Regardless of the jump, I think clear expectations can be set through the cover art and blurb even when a series is in play. In my experience, readers don't always read the content notes, so it's best to be safe.

Excellent point. I was planning to make them pretty similar to keep a series theme, but I should also keep in mind blatant visual cues, like the amount of skin showing for each. :)

If the first book pretty much closes the bedroom door and talks about 'overwhelmed with passion' and folks saying, 'Oh, heck," then I'd be careful of turning the heat up to any extent.

If the first book is a good deal more explicit, then I think you have more freedom to step it up another rung.

Had to laugh at this. :) Thankfully the first book isn't that genteel. And it sounds like going up a rung -- but probably not two or three -- might squeeze past reader tolerance, but I hear you on it being a risk anyhow.

IMO, if book 1 isn't sexy, the heat level on the subsequent books should be brought down. It doesn't mean sex should be removes, but non-explicit scenes, gloss over, fade to black would certainly help keep things even.

Yeah, I'm pondering what's going to get lost from that scene in terms of character/relationship moments if I excise detail, and wondering if I can graft the important developments elsewhere, like maybe during the pillow talk afterward.

It'd probably be easier to add heat to the first book, but that would be gratuitous and a writerly sin, I know. :)

It's difficult when you have a series that switches from two MC's with two characters in a subplot, and when book two takes off with the subplot characters... well, you get the gist.

Yeah, this couple just lends itself to a different romantic journey. *shakes fist at characters*

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
It'd probably be easier to add heat to the first book, but that would be gratuitous and a writerly sin, I know. :)

Adding heat doesn't have to be gratuitous. You can have a steaming non-sex scene that adds tension and brings up the heat level a bit. Team that with a slight toning down with subsequent books and you might be able to meet in the middle.

Karalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karalynnlee.com
Adding heat doesn't have to be gratuitous. You can have a steaming non-sex scene that adds tension and brings up the heat level a bit. Team that with a slight toning down with subsequent books and you might be able to meet in the middle.

Color me ashamed for not really considering that non-sex encounters could still add sizzle and up the heat level without crossing certain lines. Perfect advice -- thanks!

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to agree that rising the level up one or two degrees should be safe if the first book has a higher heat level to begin with. I would be careful not to push it too far. If you feel like the sex is just a little too sizzling you can always keep the scenes and tone them down with more emotion and less physical.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I struggled with this with my series. I ended up writing the stories that felt right. I didn't force it and if that meant one story was less steamy than the next, then so be it.

The series I wrote is erotic paranormal romance. There are five stories all together so far and I would say they are all at a heat level of 5 except for one. One of them is like a 3.5. It's just how it worked out and it was right for that story.

Karalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karalynnlee.com
I struggled with this with my series. I ended up writing the stories that felt right. I didn't force it and if that meant one story was less steamy than the next, then so be it.

The series I wrote is erotic paranormal romance. There are five stories all together so far and I would say they are all at a heat level of 5 except for one. One of them is like a 3.5. It's just how it worked out and it was right for that story.

Yeah, it's a struggle between staying true to the story and not inadvertently delivering something out of the comfort range of established readers of the series (who have some right to have consistent expectations within a series, I think).

I'm going to guess, though, that your first story in the series was a 5? My premise is that upping the heat level is more likely to cause howls than decreasing it. Or, at least, more offended howls, while the other way might cause disappointed howls. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.