Multiple militia groups from across USA going to Las Vegas for standoff w/Bureau of Land Management

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm astonished that some people still defend Koresh. Koresh was just another Jim Jones who killed himself and his followers. After serial rapes and chlid molestations.

There's a legitimate argument that the government overreacted on Ruby Ridge, but not on Waco. It's tragic the way it ended, but it's all on Koresh.
The incoming ATF director after the disaster disagrees with you.
The new ATF Director, John Magaw, criticized several aspects of the ATF raid; for instance, he compared the raid leaders Phillip Chojnacki going with a helicopter team and Chuck Sarabyn going in one of the horse trailers to a football team's coach and assistant coach going onto the field with the players. Magaw made the Treasury "Blue Book" report on Waco required reading for new agents. A 1995 GAO report on use of force by federal law enforcement agencies observed that, "on the basis of Treasury's report on the Waco operation and views of tactical operations experts and ATF's own personnel, ATF decided in October 1995 that dynamic entry would only be planned after all other options have been considered and began to adjust its training accordingly."
Eventual trial outcomes and the Danforth Report (not well-publicized, but described in sections following the link above) are also worth noting.

I haven't seen anyone defend Koresh in this thread. He was from what I can tell a truly evil man. That does not automatically make the government blameless.

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I can see why someone would want to make money of free land, especially if it has been allowed to slide for decades. But why are so many people acting like making money of land you donlt own is some kind of right?

I see two arguments unfolding on the side of the Bundy constituents. I don't actually agree with either argument. But here goes.........

Bundy's argument says: "I've been here for 5 generations. I was here first. I am grandfathered. Leave me be." Yeah. He's that simple about it.

And Oath Keepers' argument is far more elaborate. They are (stupidly!) throwing their support behind Bundy because his predicament sort of dovetails with a pet political battle that a gentleman named Steve Pratt, founder of the County Sheriff's Project (a group heavily endorsed by Oath Keepers) has been championing for over a decade now. Specifically, there was some kind of a ruling back in 1780, called the "Resolution of 1780." It dealt with whether or not federal land out in the various territories could remain in the control of the federal government even after a given territory became a state. That Resolution declared that once statehood is granted, the federal government must relinquish all claim to the land, surrendering it into the control of the new state.

Skip ahead to 09:05 and start watching for just 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7Or-f62jY

The argument being put forth in this YouTube video by Steve Pratt of the County Sheriff Project --and which is being endorsed by Oath Keepers-- is that those lands should not be in the hands of any federal agency. And that notion is about to be tested in Nevada with this whole fiasco involving Bundy's cattle.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Plot Device!
At some point this story piqued my interest. This thread that you started is a big help in understanding it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I see two arguments unfolding on the side of the Bundy constituents. I don't actually agree with either argument. But here goes.........

Bundy's argument says: "I've been here for 5 generations. I was here first. I am grandfathered. Leave me be." Yeah. He's that simple about it.

And Oath Keepers' argument is far more elaborate. They are (stupidly!) throwing their support behind Bundy because his predicament sort of dovetails with a pet political battle that a gentleman named Steve Pratt, founder of the County Sheriff's Project (a group heavily endorsed by Oath Keepers) has been championing for over a decade now. Specifically, there was some kind of a ruling back in 1780, called the "Resolution of 1780." It dealt with whether or not federal land out in the various territories could remain in the control of the federal government even after a given territory became a state. That Resolution declared that once statehood is granted, the federal government must relinquish all claim to the land, surrendering it into the control of the new state.

Skip ahead to 09:05 and start watching for just 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7Or-f62jY

The argument being put forth in this YouTube video by Steve Pratt of the County Sheriff Project --and which is being endorsed by Oath Keepers-- is that those lands should not be in the hands of any federal agency. And that notion is about to be tested in Nevada with this whole fiasco involving Bundy's cattle.

Okay, I am no expert, but the US Constitution dates to 1787, and was apparently come up with because the system immediately previous was such a fiasco.

I don't know if it voided everything that came before before, but it certainly would make a claim based on any law older than 1787 which hasn't been dealt with since look a little dodgy in my book.

So why would these persons think they have a case to hold the US to a ... law? court case? opinion piece? ... dating to 1780?

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I also think it's worth noting that in the 1993 case, it's reported that Bundy was limited to 150 animals. A far cry from the now 900 he claims are his, roaming federal land, and a number which I doubt the man's owned property could support even if he kept them there.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Hanson, it's true that a person in the military is expected to obey lawful orders. If the order is unlawful, it is not to be obeyed.

The devil is in knowing which it is, though.
Sure is.

Problem is no Oath can retain meaning when adherents determine which is the greater part, or what the 'real' meaning of a piece of text is.

Language is tricky, we all know that.

But it aint that tricky,

so 'tisn't. ;)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hanson, I don't know what you are saying. Granted, I have an infection in my tooth/jaw and can't think very clearly at the moment, but could you perhaps rephrase?

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Hanson, I don't know what you are saying. Granted, I have an infection in my tooth/jaw and can't think very clearly at the moment, but could you perhaps rephrase?
I'm saying the Oathkeepers are being selective as to which parts of the Oath they deemed the most important.

For sure do nothing illegal, but to sidestep the President's orders, because the Constitution 'comes first', is the thin edge of an unworkable wedge.

Once you start pickin n choosing the bits you like from a sworn oath, and downgrading the rest, the oath becomes meaningless. It essentially becomes a 'fit for own use' shield against any criticism.

It's been done through time, in different situations, to justify, well, anything.

Ok, gotta go, back tomo, hopefully.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I am no expert, but the US Constitution dates to 1787, and was apparently come up with because the system immediately previous was such a fiasco.

I don't know if it voided everything that came before before, but it certainly would make a claim based on any law older than 1787 which hasn't been dealt with since look a little dodgy in my book.

So why would these persons think they have a case to hold the US to a ... law? court case? opinion piece? ... dating to 1780?

I don't think the Articles of Confederation apply anymore.

Considering how...I...think the first three paragraphs of the constitution nix the AoC in favor of the Constitution.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm saying the Oathkeepers are being selective as to which parts of the Oath they deemed the most important.

For sure do nothing illegal, but to sidestep the President's orders, because the Constitution 'comes first', is the thin edge of an unworkable wedge.

Once you start pickin n choosing the bits you like from a sworn oath, and downgrading the rest, the oath becomes meaningless. It essentially becomes a 'fit for own use' shield against any criticism.

It's been done through time, in different situations, to justify, well, anything.

Ok, gotta go, back tomo, hopefully.

Hanson, I had a history professor who said he thinks the most compelling question asked of us by all of human history is the question: "Are we Nazis?" He believes all people --individually and collectively-- must take it upon themselves to ask that question from time to time to make sure they are not blindly crossing moral and ethical lines which became blurry due to life's daily grind of never ending distractions and obligations and especially the demands made by emergency contingencies.

He perceives the practice of self-asking of this question as one of the most important checks/balances to keeping life and equilibrium in what we hope will remain a democratic society of free thought and tolerance.

Now that I've Godwinned my own thread ....

If the employment of one's own reasoning power in deciding when to disobey an order is unacceptable to you, then what is the correct circumstance/guideline for justifying the refusal of an order?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Another good question to ask: "Are we racists?"

Because...the thing that has been constantly bugging me about the Oathkeepers and organizations like them: They only got REALLY earnest and focused on protecting the constitution against the rapacious power of the oval office...the INSTANT a black guy was there.

Where the fuck were they and people like them when Bush was using the bill of rights like toilet paper?

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another good question to ask: "Are we racists?"

Because...the thing that has been constantly bugging me about the Oathkeepers and organizations like them: They only got REALLY earnest and focused on protecting the constitution against the rapacious power of the oval office...the INSTANT a black guy was there.

Where the fuck were they and people like them when Bush was using the bill of rights like toilet paper?

1) I haven't made any such correlary, and yet I also haven't looked for it.

2) Can you correlate that via documentation?

3) Have any LEO's of color reported that Oath Keepers has unwelcoming toward them?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if he actually cared about who had it first, then I'm sure he wants it to be directly handed over to the Native Americans.
And their food source, the bison.
The whole reason for the vast 'ranches' is the same as the reason for foreign sweatshops. It's cheap. As someone has pointed out, he couldn't support all those cattle on his land. And, if he had to pay for fencing, and feed, etc. he'd have more work to do, less profit to make. But, letting the cattle wander at will, feed as they please, that makes economic sense. And without that free land, Bundy and his buddies would have to give up a lifestyle based on taking land from it's previous inhabitants, wiping out the buffalo, getting permission to kill every predator they can get hold of, and driving feral horses and donkeys to the slaughterhouse because they were eating the grass apparently reserved for cattle.
Oh, side issue: the price of beef would go up, for everybody.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
1) I haven't made any such correlary, and yet I also haven't looked for it.

2) Can you correlate that via documentation?

3) Have any LEO's of color reported that Oath Keepers has unwelcoming toward them?

Well, it's only a suspicion...and it's one that I've had about these "constitution first" groups that popped up after Obama got elected - and I checked: The Oathkeepers showed mere months after the election...not before.

Maybe I'm seeing racism that isn't there, but it just strikes me as suspicious. And it's why I'm leery of a lot of groups like the Oathkeepers: The timing is just a little convenient for my tastes.

(The ones that existed before Obama's election, I'm less suspicious of. I just think they're...misguided.)

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
THIS JUST IN ....

The Nevada Militia is getting reports of rogue militias coming into Nevada for this gathering. And by "rogue militias" they mean militias which are deliberately remaining vague about who they are, where they hail from, and failing to self-identify with any specific US state. (In the world of militias, that's really bad form and grounds for ostracization.)

These rogue militias are self-identifying as "Operation Mutual Aid," but their presence is causing concern among the leaders of the Nevada Militia. The Nevada Militia wants to honor the request of the Bundy constituents to keep this entire demonstration in the realm of "civil disobedience" with an emphasis on "civil." However, these rogue militias are suspected of wanting to make a show of things (read: open fire with live rounds). And so not only are the fears of bloodshed escalating, additional fears are being raised that when the smoke clears after what might turn into another Waco/Ruby Ridge, the Nevada Militia might be falsely blamed for it.

I got this from another message forum where a member posted this statement the leaders of the Nevada Militia:

Here is a note on the militia situation per the website [redacted]. This is from one of the members of the Nevada group.

I would suggest that all of the different groups in NV try to contact each other and decide where you all stand on this problem that is going on in your state! To my knowledge the Bundy's have only called for support in a peaceful demonstration without violence!

What I can tell you is that those people who are out there claiming to be Militia are a rouge group who go by the name of operation mutual aid, OMA most or all of these people are from out of state and are there under their own self appointed authority! This is a group of members that were removed from this website because they first created a national group, which is against the constitution and then in writing threatened to attack and disarm DHS members in other states, which makes them criminals as far as we are concerned. The main leaders in that group are [redacted] and a young man from Montana, who is on the ground and they are calling for the militia from everywhere to join them, which is illegal under our constitution! Just a couple of days ago they made a post on facebook that they were headed out to NV to disarm the BLM people? I would venture to say that their intentions are to make sure this ends up in a gun fight regardless of what they have to do to get it started!

If any of you can help stop any violence from taking place out there we would ask you to do so. This entire thing has been blown out of proportion by almost everyone involved, it needs to stop before the violence starts.

And there are posts stating that the Nevada group members are to be in "stand down" status and only to peacefully assemble without their guns in hand should they decide to go to protest. So sounds like it's just a few crazies (which all groups have) that are causing all the fuss about assembling Militias.

It also sounds like the local cell towers are being flooded by the extra people so calls and such aren't going through. So of course people are out there saying "they're blocking our comms" and "Lock and load, get ready for the attack" and other nonsense on the FB groups. Luckily if they are say that on FB then they must not be out there risking getting people hurt.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
TWO ADDITIONAL REPORTS via e-mail:

1) Supposedly over 5,000 militia members are heading to Nevada from over 30 different US states. The rally is slated for tomorrow. So they are all driving through the night to get there for tomorrow.

2) Supposedly, the major roads into the vicinity of the Bundy ranch have roadblocks, vehicles are being stopped and all guns --the overwhelming majority of which are perfectly legal and fully permitted-- are being (illegally) confiscated.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
TWO ADDITIONAL REPORTS via e-mail:

1) Supposedly over 5,000 militia members are heading to Nevada from over 30 different US states. The rally is slated for tomorrow. So they are all driving through the night to get there for tomorrow.

2) Supposedly, the major roads into the vicinity of the Bundy ranch have roadblocks, vehicles are being stopped and all guns --the overwhelming majority of which are perfectly legal and fully permitted-- are being (illegally) confiscated.
Those facts have got to be getting out to most of the people driving to the area (through text mesages/Facebook/Twitter, maybe even old-fashioned CB radio). Don't know what they might do about it, maybe start collecting in places BEFORE they get to the roadblocks, or taking time to hide guns behind every vehicle panel they can think of and going on through.

Regardless, this doesn't sound pretty.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
NEW REPORT:

FAA issued a no-fly-zone over Mesquite, Nevada less than 3 hours ago CORRECTION: 5:38 PM Eastern Time.

Mesquite is less than 5 miles from Bunkerville, Nevada where the Bundy Ranch is located.

No other aircraft other than BLM craft and/or BLM-authorized craft are allowed in the area.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_1687.html

Airspace Definition:
Center: NAVAID() (Latitude: 36º46'24"N, Longitude: 114º11'13"W)
Radius: 3 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to and including 3000 feet AGL

Effective Date(s):
From April 11, 2014 at 2140 UTC
To May 11, 2014 at 1434 UTC

=========================================

Operating Restrictions and Requirements Top

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF BLM ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE

::ETA::

A chopper pilot just informed me that the no-fly zone does not extend over the air space of the Bundy Ranch itself. Just the local air field where BLM is being given elbow room to set up a staging area.

I am awaiting word from that chopper pilot if he believes this still allows news choppers into the area.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
UNCONFIRMED REPORTS:

For over two hours now I have continually heard reports that all cellular phone service in the area of Mesquite, Nevada and Bunkerville, Nevada have been lost.

This is giving rise to conspiracy theories that the government has deliberately cut the towers to thwart tweeting and texting and the uploading of video into the cloud.

I have avoided posting any of that here so far because I can't confirm any of it. But now there is a desperate plea being sent out asking for any willing HAM radio operators to please bring their HAM sets to the area to allow radio communication.

::ETA::

I found a web site called Down Detector dot com.

http://downdetector.com/status/us-cellular

They claim to be real-time in reporting cellular outages across the USA.

There have been no reports at this web site for any region of Nevada in the past 24 hours.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a place where satellite telephones would be a good thing to have, even though both the phone itself and the per-minute service are quite expensive, compared to modern cell service, but they work from most anywhere on Earth. Here's mention in a recent news story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lyra-kaufman-sick-toddler-rescued-from-rebel-heart-back-in-san-diego/

It's also possible that signals are being transmitted that interfere with/disable cellphones. That would be highly illegal, and even dangerous, as disabling communications could prevent help for medical emergencies such as heart attacks (or gunshot wounds), but then, when the government does it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8

Looking at a couple of twitter hashtags, #nevada has about one post per minute:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nevada&src=typd&f=realtime
but the posts lead to other hashtags, especially #bundyranch which has about one tweet per second, and I'm seeing the stuff Plot Device mentioned about cell towers being shut down and a no-fly zone:
https://twitter.com/search?q=#BundyRanch&src=hash&f=realtime

One of the tweets linked to this live ustream feed:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thepe...&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20140411224632