Who Says They Can't Tax the Sun?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Oklahoma Will Charge Customers Who Install Their Own Solar Panels
Oklahoma residents who produce their own energy through solar panels or small wind turbines on their property will now be charged an additional fee, the result of a new bill passed by the state legislature and expected to be signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin (R).
Hmmm... whyever would they do such a silly thing? It raises the marginal cost of adopting these new technologies, which is supposed to be a good thing, right?
The bill was staunchly opposed by renewable energy advocates, environmental groups and the conservative group TUSK, but had the support of Oklahoma’s major utilities.
Your tax dollars oligarchy at work.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I came here expecting to read about them trying to get the sun to pay taxes .

I am disappointed.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A republican pushing for a new tax? I hope he's not one of the Republicans that runs on the low tax platform.
Don't worry, those lets-lower-taxes Republicans have been marginalized to the far-right-wing Tea Party section of the Republican Party (and lowering taxes is their ONLY issue, "so help me Jesus Christ").

In general, Republicans have learned about as well as Democrats that the way to stay in office long-term is to bring home as much bacon as possible.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like I've recently heard of solar panels taxed in some country - here it is, Spain:
Out Of Ideas And In Debt, Spain Sets Sights On Taxing The Sun
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph...-in-debt-spain-sets-sights-on-taxing-the-sun/

But that appears to be solely for governmental income reasons, not anything nefarious, like we have in the USA:
Conservative group ALEC pushes stealth tax on homeowners who install solar panels
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...h-tax-on-homeowners-who-install-solar-panels/

This could well be the source of the law in Oklahoma and this one in Arizona:
No Free Sun for You! Why Arizona Wants to ‘Tax’ Solar Power
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/19/solar-energy-arizona-net-metering

We've had similar threads before on taxing otherwise-free things (found looking for threads on rainwater collection, either it being taxed or made illegal):

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178972
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262073
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286052

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, lets be brutally honest. We are how far in debt with a growing deficit, on both state and federal levels?
They have to fund all these various programs they keep offering somehow, and that means increased tax revenue.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, those lets-lower-taxes Republicans have been marginalized to the far-right-wing Tea Party section of the Republican Party (and lowering taxes is their ONLY issue, "so help me Jesus Christ").

In general, Republicans have learned about as well as Democrats that the way to stay in office long-term is to bring home as much bacon as possible.

Which is why 1. they should be required to wear a suit similar to race car drivers with all of their lobbyists/donors, etc., emblazened upon the body suit and 2. we need term limits, no more than 12 years period!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about going after that lazy, delinquent yellow guy in the sky. He's got 4.6 billion years of back taxes that he owes.

05f8f414-26e0-4438-9c81-231c784ee560_zpsb3ab426a.jpg

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Let us not forget that Oklahoma is a state VERY friendly to fossil fuel producers. My guess is the latter pushed this legislation and made sure proper campaign contributions, etc., were made to the right people to ensure its passage.

caw

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And now our illustrious leaders shall turn and as one and prostrate themselves to their corporate masters.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Some politicians, some lobbyists and some utility executives would make nice pinatas.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And now our illustrious leaders shall turn and as one and prostrate themselves to their corporate masters.
If only. It's the average joe taxpayer that ends up spread-eagled as "our illustrious leaders" and their corporate masters take turns ripping off pounds of flesh.

The pols don't suffer much from their masters, and unlike the average citizen, they gladly climbed up onto the auction block under their own power; they weren't dragged up there unwillingly.

Maybe we should think of pols as the trustees running the plantation when the master's busy elsewhere.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If only. It's the average joe taxpayer that ends up spread-eagled as "our illustrious leaders" and their corporate masters take turns ripping off pounds of flesh.

The pols don't suffer much from their masters, and unlike the average citizen, they gladly climbed up onto the auction block under their own power; they weren't dragged up there unwillingly.

Maybe we should think of pols as the trustees running the plantation when the master's busy elsewhere.

But they have to do what their masters say, when their masters speak.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
But they have to do what their masters say, when their masters speak.
But that's the whole idea behind a trustee, isn't it? They're only useful so long as they do their master's bidding.

At the very least, we should stop pretending that we, the citizens, are the ones in charge. That fiction has been laid to rest.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, lets be brutally honest. We are how far in debt with a growing deficit, on both state and federal levels?
They have to fund all these various programs they keep offering somehow, and that means increased tax revenue.
The federal deficit has been shrinking for years. Oklahoma doesn't offer much in the way of social programs. This isn't about revenue, it's intended to discourage people from any energy source that doesn't involve paying money to utility companies.

linked article said:
“We’re not anti-solar or anti-wind or trying to slow this down, we’re just trying to keep it fair,” Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. spokeswoman Kathleen O’Shea told the Oklahoman. “We’ve been studying this trend. We know it’s coming, and we want to get ahead of it.”
This lady's good at her job, which involves a lot of bullshit.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
ah, just happen to know the answer

The tax only applies to people who sell the energy back onto to grid. That is, they use the existing power grid, wiring and all, to distribute electricity. The grid has been paid for by many over the years, so the tax seems somewhat fair, equivalent to taxing a business for using public roads.

But I agree it might be to society's benefit to NOT tax solar energy, as solar energy benefits everyone and should be encouraged

Oklahoma Will Charge Customers Who Install Their Own Solar Panels

Hmmm... whyever would they do such a silly thing? It raises the marginal cost of adopting these new technologies, which is supposed to be a good thing, right?

Your tax dollars oligarchy at work.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
The tax only applies to people who sell the energy back onto to grid. That is, they use the existing power grid, wiring and all, to distribute electricity. The grid has been paid for by many over the years, so the tax seems somewhat fair, equivalent to taxing a business for using public roads.

But I agree it might be to society's benefit to NOT tax solar energy, as solar energy benefits everyone and should be encouraged

Just re-read the article, and you are exactly right. I thought that they meant to tax people for simply having them, which isn't the case, but to tax them for selling excess to the energy companies. THAT I find completely acceptable.
If they don't sell power, they don't get taxed. That's the same with any other commodity.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except, these are not people who haven't already been paying into the utility companies and paying for that infrastructure already. They are existing customers who are being taxed for producing their own power. And that isn't fair. It is also rather stupid considering that from a power company standpoint they would be selling power back to the power company at a time when the power company needs it to meet higher demand.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Except, these are not people who haven't already been paying into the utility companies and paying for that infrastructure already. They are existing customers who are being taxed for producing their own power. And that isn't fair. It is also rather stupid considering that from a power company standpoint they would be selling power back to the power company at a time when the power company needs it to meet higher demand.

Not what the article actually says, once you get past all the Chicken Little commentary in it.
Those already doing so will not be paying this tax. This will only affect new customers attempting to tie into selling that power.
It could quite simply be the reality that the power companies are ensuring that they aren't going to wind up operating in the negative, and they may not need any more power at this time.
Without the statistics, that is pure guessing.
But again, this ONLY applies to new customers who want to sell their excess to the power company.
I see no issue with that. The ones currently doing so will be grandfathered in.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I did read the article. And it says that people who already have the solar panels in place wouldn't be taxed. I assume a grandfather clause. But, a customer of the power company who has solar panels installed after the law goes into effect and then sells power back to the power company would be charged the tax. My point is if they are a customer of the power company, they have already been paying for the infrastructure. So the argument by tko doesn't hold water.

The whole thing is troubling to me. My brother and I have actually been looking for property in Missouri, Arkansas, or Oklahoma. We are no longer looking in Oklahoma due to this law.