Fame by any means - celebrity culture in the UK

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so over here this morning the following young woman is causing quite a bit of a stir.

She initially came to the public's attention last year when it emerged that she'd had a £5000 boob job funded by the NHS because of her 'low self esteem' - in reality she later admitted that she wanted the surgery to enhace her chances of becoming a glamour model.

This caused a lot of people to become very angry because it also emerged that in the same health trust there were critically ill patients, including children, who were denied life saving or live enhancing surgery because of 'funding restrictions'

Shortly after that storm she was in the papers again because she was demanding a breast reduction, again on the NHS.

A couple of weeks ago she was back in the papers telling us all about how she'd become a prostitute and was earning money to pay back the NHS for her surgery. Then a while after that she was in the media again telling us how she was pregnant but didn't know who the father was - it could be one of her clients or a friend she 'has casual sex' with. Oh, and she's not repaying a the money because she's spent it all on baby clothes.

This morning she was plastered all over the papers here because she's announced that she's going to have an abortion to further her career. She want's to be on Big Brother and this is the only way. Oh, and she might not get topless work when pregnant.

I have to say that, while a woman has the right to chose and I'm all for that, I just can't help but think that this is so tacky and crass. A desperate bid for 'fame at any costs.'

I think what annoyed me about it too, was the way she said she was doing it for her other two kids so she could earn money and improve their lives. Surely she could get a job like everyone else?

She says she doesn''want to be famous beacause of the baby' but surely selling her story to the papers like this every step of the way is doing just that.

And do any of us really need to know the intimate details of her, or anyone's life, especially when it comes to such a personal matter?

I guess I'm just really uncomfortable with the things that people are seemingly willing to do and share in order to achieve fame.

I just can't help wondering what kids will think when they are old enough to read all this.

Thoughts?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/video-josie-cunningham-plans-abortion-3434350

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand celebrity culture in any country, but I think here in the US it's the worst. People being famous just because - why? And they stay famous because some section of our society wants to know what these people are drinking at Starbucks, what hairstyle they're wearing this week, what they think about _____, etc. Why? Why does anyone care? :Shrug:

I can understand being impressed by certain celebrities, I guess. Someone who's had a long, distinguished career in the arts or sciences - I'd like to sit next to her on the train too. I can think of a few. But a Kardasian or similar? Skip.

She initially came to the public's attention last year when it emerged that she'd had a £5000 boob job funded by the NHS because of her 'low self esteem' - in reality she later admitted that she wanted the surgery to enhace her chances of becoming a glamour model.

That really surprises me. How did that get approved by NHS? I thought there were pretty strict guidelines, stricter than in the US. I think it'd be pretty near impossible for someone here to get a free boob job for a diagnosis of "low self esteem."

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
While I am a strong supporter of socialized healthcare, paying for boob jobs is pretty damn insane. That aside, the woman sounds like a nut case.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I could understand paying for reconstructive breast surgery, but augmentation is an odd one. I would think a person whose self esteem was that dependent on a single (or double ;) ) body part would be more in need of counselling than surgery.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
That really surprises me. How did that get approved by NHS? I thought there were pretty strict guidelines, stricter than in the US. I think it'd be pretty near impossible for someone here to get a free boob job for a diagnosis of "low self esteem."

Especially when you heard stories of women who've had mastectomies being refused reconstructive surgery on the NHS. Or kids who need life saving operations that the health trust won't fund.

I think it comes down the individual health trust, and the decision maker approving it.

I agree it's insane to pay for unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

And in this case, she's quite slim, a DD is a very large cup size.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand celebrity culture in any country, but I think here in the US it's the worst. People being famous just because - why? And they stay famous because some section of our society wants to know what these people are drinking at Starbucks, what hairstyle they're wearing this week, what they think about _____, etc. Why? Why does anyone care? :Shrug:

Nobody cares what anybody else is drinking at Starbucks. The gossip mags print things like this because they don't have anything else to print that day. Just because you see something in a gossip mag doesn't mean people care about it.

To the OP, I think there is something seriously wrong with people who will do anything to become famous, but don't really have something they love to do that they want to become famous for. Milli Vanilli was a sad example of what happens to people who want to be famous, but don't have a reason.

Perhaps the sickest example is Luka Magnotta:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...euths-found-an-accused-killer-sadist-20140319

the most annoying murderer ever.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fame whores, the same the world over.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Especially when you heard stories of women who've had mastectomies being refused reconstructive surgery on the NHS. Or kids who need life saving operations that the health trust won't fund.

I think it comes down the individual health trust, and the decision maker approving it.

I agree it's insane to pay for unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

And in this case, she's quite slim, a DD is a very large cup size.

That's just crazy. Hearing stories like this makes me sick, and is the reason I avoid celebrity hype when possible. Yuck! I agree with you, this is just disgusting. Why the hell does anyone care what this woman does. Seriously, people are crazy for caring. The western world needs to boycott celebrity mags, then maybe the industry would understand.

But to adress the bolded, a DD isn't actually all that large. A properly measure 28DD is only a 33inch bust size. Most women who insist on wearing a DD are wearing a large band, and small cup. So in reality her breasts are much larger bra size wise. Someone who had a mastectomy could of been given respectable size breast recontruction if they hadn't payed for her instead. Or as has been mentioned someone could of had a life saving surgery.

Last edited:

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I would think a person whose self esteem was that dependent on a single (or double ;) ) body part would be more in need of counselling than surgery.

As someone bullied quite badly for being (among other things) 'flat chested', and whose self-esteem was pretty much decimated because of it, I agree with you. If someone had offered me a boob job when I was 18, I'd have jumped at the chance. But ultimately it wouldn't have solved any of my problems. The key is in teaching young people to find the beauty in their own bodies, not in altering them to fit whatever warped ideal they've set for themselves.

But to adress the bolded, a DD isn't actually all that large. A properly measure 28DD is only a 33inch bust size.

For years, I assumed I was a 32AA because I'm really quite minimal on the top half. I recently got measured properly for the first time and it turns out I'm a 28D - very difficult size to find in shops. And it seemed hilarious to me that I should be a D cup, because I am really not very well endowed, and yet the bra I bought fits beautifully.

Cup sizes need to be read in conjunction with back sizes to get a proper idea of the breast size. 34D is pretty big. 28D is really not.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If she has two children and is working as a prostitute shouldn't social services be taking an interest in the welfare of her children?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For years, I assumed I was a 32AA because I'm really quite minimal on the top half. I recently got measured properly for the first time and it turns out I'm a 28D - very difficult size to find in shops. And it seemed hilarious to me that I should be a D cup, because I am really not very well endowed, and yet the bra I bought fits beautifully.

Cup sizes need to be read in conjunction with back sizes to get a proper idea of the breast size. 34D is pretty big. 28D is really not.

If you think 34D is big, then you don't want to know my bra size. :tongue

If she has two children and is working as a prostitute shouldn't social services be taking an interest in the welfare of her children?

Depends on how they're being cared for.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
If you think 34D is big, then you don't want to know my bra size. :tongue

When you're as underendowed as I am, most women have big breasts in comparison ;)

Depends on how they're being cared for.

I'd be more concerned about her clearly dysfunctional personality than her profession, to be honest. She seems like a pretty bad role model at the very least.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When you're as underendowed as I am, most women have big breasts in comparison ;)
highlight to see: I'm a 34E in US sizing.

I'd be more concerned about her clearly dysfunctional personality than her profession, to be honest. She seems like a pretty bad role model at the very least.

Yea, that's what worries me too.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score

I;ve been informed by several male friends that anything more than a handful is a waste. :)

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about her kids considering she smokes ten cigarettes a day and admits that she hasn't stopped drinking during this pregnancy. And that was going on prior to deciding to have an abortion. She obviously puts the well being of her children first.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'd be more worried about her kids considering she smokes ten cigarettes a day and admits that she hasn't stopped drinking during this pregnancy. And that was going on prior to deciding to have an abortion. She obviously puts the well being of her children first.

Given that her goal is fame and public disfunction is a route to fame, is there any reason to believe her self description?

Seriously, aren't threads like this just serving her goal?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the fact that she was smoking during the interview is a good clue that at least she isn't lying about that.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody cares what anybody else is drinking at Starbucks. The gossip mags print things like this because they don't have anything else to print that day. Just because you see something in a gossip mag doesn't mean people care about it.

I wish that were true - but I don't see how it can be. Especially when so much of that is online now, and click-throughs (leading to increased advertising) can be counted and tabulated according to demographics. The links that work, stay around. If no one ever clicked on "hairstyles of the ____" then those links would go away. If no one ever clicked on "who's dating so-and-so this week" that link would go away and be replaced with something that did get the clicks.

If it's just filler, then the gossip mags could print little bits about scientific discoveries or the latest in bee keeping or who's winning the Pulitzer. Nope, it's the bits on celebs along with thin thighs in 30 days.

Now, the thin thighs in 30 days would be useful, if true. I might have to look at that one. :)

Or how about when the "Rachel" haircut from the Friends tv show was all the rage, and hairstylists became inundated with requests for that. Or this week, when baby Prince George wore some romper out in public and it sold out quickly in the stores. Celebrities inspire wannabes ... It's hard to get away from this stuff - the headlines are there even if I don't read the articles.

I've worked with someone who read those mags endlessly and talked about that stuff. She was fascinated by it - I never figured out why, but she really enjoyed it. Maybe it's just escapism, the way some people read fantasy or science fiction or romance, or watch the superhero movies. Or why I'll buy a lotto ticket when the pot reaches $200 million. Just escape from the doldrums of regular life.

Ok, enough of this. :Soapbox:

On this particular story, I'm just surprised someone (probably a few someones) in the NHS approved the boob job.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I wish that were true - but I don't see how it can be. Especially when so much of that is online now, and click-throughs (leading to increased advertising) can be counted and tabulated according to demographics. The links that work, stay around. If no one ever clicked on "hairstyles of the ____" then those links would go away. If no one ever clicked on "who's dating so-and-so this week" that link would go away and be replaced with something that did get the clicks. .

That's not what you said, though. You were talking about what celebrities were drinking at Starbucks. Some people are interested in celebrity gossip. The gossip mags talk about it because they want to pretend it's juicy gossip people should care about when it's not. They know what celebrities people like reading about and they try to create stories out of non-stories.

Everyone always uses the example of "what people are drinking at Starbucks," to illustrate how stupid people who read gossip mags are, but I bet your friend who reads gossip mags has no interest in that, either.

Or how about when the "Rachel" haircut from the Friends tv show was all the rage, and hairstylists became inundated with requests for that.

Uh, yeah...because people liked that hairstyle. That isn't really anything like the woman in the OP.

Last edited:

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...it turns out I'm a 28D - very difficult size to find in shops.

Tell me about it. I'm a 34DD. (Well, really a 33DD, but they don't make that size, so going up to 34 is more comfortable than going down to 32.) The stores here all seem to equate big boobs with obesity. There's plenty of DD bras in stock if you're a 42 or 44, but 34? Not so much.