Fame by any means - celebrity culture in the UK

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That isn't really anything like the woman in the OP.

The way she's being presented, she seems to be of a mind that if she can just "crack the formula," then she'll be famous.

She thought bigger boobs would do it - nope.
Turning racier in her behavior - nope.
Then a little infamy - still nope.
Wringing every last particle of news/screen time she can by doing bigger and more "out there" things -- and still nope.

Anyone can wrangle some publicity by their behavior, but it's not a guaranteed doorway to fame and fortune. This woman *seems* to think she's entitled to being famous, but that's not how the game works.

I'd say she's more like the parents of "balloon boy" and their fame campaign.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
She just needs to get on a "celebrity" reality tv show despite having absolutely no talents whatsoever (which doesn't seem to be difficult to do), fake falling in love with a has-been 80s one-hit wonder pop singer whilst on the show, have a ridiculously tasteless wedding paid for by a supermarket rag, have his kid, and stage an equally public and tasteless divorce (televised of course) a couple of years later.

By this time she'll have cover-modelled Nuts magazine, released three autobiographies, five singles, and a range of perfumes, and made millions of pounds. Sorted.

Gods I wish I was making this up....

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Tell me about it. I'm a 34DD. (Well, really a 33DD, but they don't make that size, so going up to 34 is more comfortable than going down to 32.) The stores here all seem to equate big boobs with obesity. There's plenty of DD bras in stock if you're a 42 or 44, but 34? Not so much.

Try being a 34E. It's even worse. Seriously, specialty shops for me, or squeezing into a 34DD/34DDD. I want to bang my head into a wall when shoping for bras.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I used to be friends with a girl who was a 36GG. They entered the room about two minutes before she did!

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try being a 34E. It's even worse. Seriously, specialty shops for me, or squeezing into a 34DD/34DDD. I want to bang my head into a wall when shoping for bras.

I have a friend who's a 32G. Specialty shops for her, too. She's the only one I know who can make me feel small-chested.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
T
Everyone always uses the example of "what people are drinking at Starbucks," to illustrate how stupid people who read gossip mags are, but I bet your friend who reads gossip mags has no interest in that, either.

Well, I never said she was stupid, or the other people who read gossip magazines. And she probably would have gotten the same drink at Starbucks, actually. She lived those mags. She also worked and went to school. I said I don't understand why they care about what celebs are doing. It doesn't affect them personally. I don't care what the person who lives three blocks away is doing/wearing/saying either - unless it's going to harm the neighborhood (or other people) in some way.

That Rachel haircut? You don't think people wanted it not because it was cute but because they thought it would make them more like Rachel? It didn't look good on many people - but it was the thing of the moment. It's like advertising ... buy this car in the ad, and that sexy woman who's sitting inside is going to want you bad. Follow this diet, and you'll have those abs to show off on the beach, just like this guy.

I know we've wrangled about this before. I'm just not into celeb culture, I don't understand the attraction to it. * The idolizing. Maybe I'm just deficient in that understanding. :Shrug: I also don't understand upper level chemistry.

And I guess I won't comment on any more threads regarding celebrities, as it seems to make a kerfuffle.

* There *are* people I'd like to meet, who might be famous in some way, who've had great achievements in different fields. Pick their brains about why they've done certain things, chosen certain roles, how they process information and then proceed with their findings, how they maintain focus on reaching their goals ... writers, scientists, actors, dancers, sociologists - a lot of interesting people out there. But I don't care what they're wearing, or dating, or where they're vacationing.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I never said she was stupid, or the other people who read gossip magazines. And she probably would have gotten the same drink at Starbucks, actually. She lived those mags. She also worked and went to school. I said I don't understand why they care about what celebs are doing. It doesn't affect them personally. I don't care what the person who lives three blocks away is doing/wearing/saying either - unless it's going to harm the neighborhood (or other people) in some way.

That Rachel haircut? You don't think people wanted it not because it was cute but because they thought it would make them more like Rachel? It didn't look good on many people - but it was the thing of the moment. It's like advertising ... buy this car in the ad, and that sexy woman who's sitting inside is going to want you bad. Follow this diet, and you'll have those abs to show off on the beach, just like this guy.

I know we've wrangled about this before. I'm just not into celeb culture, I don't understand the attraction to it. * The idolizing. Maybe I'm just deficient in that understanding. :Shrug: I also don't understand upper level chemistry.

And I guess I won't comment on any more threads regarding celebrities, as it seems to make a kerfuffle.

* There *are* people I'd like to meet, who might be famous in some way, who've had great achievements in different fields. Pick their brains about why they've done certain things, chosen certain roles, how they process information and then proceed with their findings, how they maintain focus on reaching their goals ... writers, scientists, actors, dancers, sociologists - a lot of interesting people out there. But I don't care what they're wearing, or dating, or where they're vacationing.

Honestly, I don't think that many people *care*. I certainly don't care. Doesn't mean I don't know stuff. It's become fairly hard to not know things about celebrities, and it's like, I don't know, a social amusement. Like 'omg did you see Lohan was drunk in public again?'

Gossip can just be a chitchat thing, a connection, a lighter form of 'omg did you hear what Putin said?' Yes, current events, world leader's warmongering can have real effects on the world and people that obviously Lohan's antics don't, but sometimes you have a serious, seven-course meal, and sometimes you have bonbons, you know? It's just fluff. It doesn't necessarily mean the people gossiping actually care.

Humans enjoy gossip. Gossip about people you actually know is trickier - gossip about celebs you don't allows for the same 'benefits' (social interaction, tsktsking or approving of salacious details, sharing personal feelings, morals, thoughts, etc.), without most of the potential problems.

Obviously, there are people who do care, in a personal way, about celebrities. Just saying that reading gossip rags or knowing the stuff or faffing about on the Daily Mail or whatever isn't necessarily an indicator one does.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
That Rachel haircut? You don't think people wanted it not because it was cute but because they thought it would make them more like Rachel?

I don't know anyone who is that stupid, no. I think it's possible people liked it because Rachel was a character they identified with, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think it would change their personality. Not even children are that stupid.

There *are* people I'd like to meet, who might be famous in some way, who've had great achievements in different fields. Pick their brains about why they've done certain things, chosen certain roles, how they process information and then proceed with their findings, how they maintain focus on reaching their goals ... writers, scientists, actors, dancers, sociologists - a lot of interesting people out there. But I don't care what they're wearing, or dating, or where they're vacationing.

Two things:

1) the people you care about are not more important or worthwhile than the people others care about.

2) I agree with cornflake that I don't think many people care what celebrities are wearing, who they are dating, or where they are vacationing. People who follow celebrity gossip do so because it's a source of entertainment. But even they don't care what celebrities are wearing, or what they are ordering at Starbucks.

People who followed gossip about Britney Spears while she was having her meltdown just thought the crazy stories were interesting or funny. They did not idolize Britney, or want to dress like her, or want to order what she ordered at Starbucks. Gossip magazines printed what she ordered at Starbucks, where she was vacationing, etc., because her name got people's attention. And no, I don't think anyone really cares. Just because you know something, or share a funny story you've heard doesn't mean you care all that much.

Also, people reading gossip magazines are in no way comparable to a woman who is obsessed with becoming famous for no reason. Even Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan are famous for things they have actually done.

Last edited: