best and worst states to retire in

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best: Wyoming, Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota

Worst: California, Florida, South Carolina.

My guess is if they looked at where people choose to move to when they retire, it would be the opposite of what they've listed.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if people really want to freeze their asses off and did such a bad job of planning that they're going to have to work through retirement, this article might be beneficial. Those criteria seem to be the controlling ones in the article.

The report looked at different variables within three major categories including potential retirement income, retiree costs, and labor market opportunities.

OTOH, Florida has zero personal income tax, and if you're not addicted to sun-worshiping at the beach, it's quite possible to find a nice 2/2 home in a nice safe neighborhood for well south of $100k, other living expenses are reasonable, temperate weather means lower utility bills and lower wear-and-tear on, well, everything, and an extended growing season and strong cattle industry mean that growing your own and/or eating local are fairly achievable goals.

I'd bet my average utility bills in any of those 4 "best" states would be more than my mortgage payment, instead of averaging around $150 a month. My tee-shirt, short and sandal budget wouldn't buy a winter coat or a reasonable supply of winter underwear, and I'm highly unlikely to slip and fall in my driveway and become a corpsicle before somebody digs me out in the spring. At the same time, I'm less than two hours from any major tourist attraction or cruise ship port, or beaches on either coast.

OTOOH, if you have to be in the heart of the action with easy ocean access, you could spend as much as you would in CA, or even NYC.

Simplistic article is simplistic.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if people really want to freeze their asses off

My tee-shirt, short and sandal budget wouldn't buy a winter coat or a reasonable supply of winter underwear, and I'm highly unlikely to slip and fall in my driveway and become a corpsicle before somebody digs me out in the spring.

Why do you hate Alaska and the northern US so much?

They're damn beautiful.

Simplistic article is simplistic.

Bias against wintry states is biased.

(Your preference is certainly valid, but no less simplistic.)

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you hate Alaska and the northern US so much?

They're damn beautiful.

Bias against wintry states is biased.

(Your preference is certainly valid, but no less simplistic.)
What makes you think I hate Alaska and the northern US?

I think the northern US is beautiful. I've spent lots of summers touring there. In July or August we'll be taking a week-long cruise along the Alaska coastline, and I'm really looking forward to it. OTOH, I'm a firm believer that ice belongs in a highball glass, not on the roads.

Neither of those attitudes negate the fact that the study was, by its own definition, simplistic. Conducted by the National Institute on Retirement Security, it focused on only three retirement issues; potential retirement income, retiree costs, and labor market opportunities. As any retiree can tell you, that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Neither of the other two categories are my bailiwick, but I can certainly speak to the retiree costs category, and I think the study blew it by failing to take the additional costs (and risks for us older folks) of winter living into account. Combined with the narrowness of the report, that additional failure makes the whole study meaningless, IMO.

As Fruitbat pointed out, it doesn't reflect the reality of the situation at all. Either retirement security (as they define it) isn't number one on every retiree's list or they did a crappy job of analysis. Personally, I'd say it's one from column A and one from column B.

So, yeah, I'd say simplistic is accurate, and I'd tack on misleading. Pity the fixed-income retiree who heads off to bitter winters with escalating energy prices on the horizon. Yes, I have a bias against retiring in cold-climate states, but it's grounded in real issues for fixed-income and older people. My mom's 94 and winter (in Kentucky) almost got her twice this year alone... one fall in the driveway and one terrible cold that bordered on pneumonia. Winter weather can literally be a killer.

This study wasn't sponsored by the petroleum or electric utility industries, was it? :D

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if people really want to freeze their asses off and did such a bad job of planning that they're going to have to work through retirement, this article might be beneficial. Those criteria seem to be the controlling ones in the article.

We don't freeze our asses off year round here in Minnesota. The weather is quite beautiful in the summer. We also have a rich theater community, concert venues of all sizes, art museums and just about anything else you can think of in addition to a decent economy.

In addition to making every list for the best states for young people to live in, Minnesota is now on the list for retirees. Thank God we've got the cold weather, or everyone in the country would want to live here.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank God we've got the cold weather, or everyone in the country would want to live here.

Yeah, it keeps the wusses out :D

I admit, I hate the winters (especially the ones like this year that just keep going and going and going). But I love the change of seasons (love having seasons), then I look at these other places and AC costs, humidity, hurricanes, earthquakes, cost of living - yeah. I might take an RV down south for the winters, but otherwise I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd bet my average utility bills in any of those 4 "best" states would be more than my mortgage payment, instead of averaging around $150 a month.
I can't speak to your bills, but having lived for thirty years in different parts of Florida and having lived for the past twelve (and my first eleven) in Massachusetts, I can only say that here I can have my windows open more of the year than you'd expect, so instead of year-round air conditioning, I can enjoy fresh air, and have lower utility bills cumulatively. That fresh air is a lot easier to breathe, too, since the humidity is lower most of the year. It's lovely.

My tee-shirt, short and sandal budget wouldn't buy a winter coat or a reasonable supply of winter underwear, and I'm highly unlikely to slip and fall in my driveway and become a corpsicle before somebody digs me out in the spring.

I'm in a sort of unique position, because I'm only 52, but because of medical issues, my doctors have said my body is twenty years older and I have some of the problems that the elderly have. I had them back when I lived in Florida as well. And in Florida, my life was much, much harder. There were fewer resources and even the best doctors had no experience with my particular challenges, while I have the pick of doctors here who understand it.

Yep, my driveway does get icy sometimes, but if my husband isn't home, a neighbor will be there for me and there are programs that can help me with that. Plus, as much of a mess as I am physically, I can scatter snow melt or salt ahead of me when I go someplace if it's just icy. Some winters it doesn't even snow, but I don't mind when it does. Unlike the places I lived in Florida, there is also public transportation for the disabled that takes me from door-to-door, with a trained assistant walking me. They do have some of those programs in Florida, but nothing as comprehensive and helpful as what I have here (I've checked).

I already know that if something happened to my husband, as young as I am, I would need help, and having realized that, I checked out my options. I have been looking into them for my mother-in-law, who lives in Homosassa, though she has children who would take her in. She just wanted to know what was out there, both in her area and where she grew up (Ft. Lauderdale) and where one child is living (St. Pete). I have better options here. More programs that would help me stay in my home. Better and more appealing housing options. Some cities here even have programs in which the city comes and shovels and de-ices that driveway you worry about slipping on.

I guess it does cost a bit of money to have clothes for different seasons, but we don't pay sales tax on them and I haven't noticed it costing very much at all. Actually, because we traveled, I had a winter coat and snow boots when I moved here. I need fewer shorts and tank tops here, so there's a little savings there, but it's really not a big deal either way. And to see snow and autumn leaves, to look around to see what is blooming today (lilacs! tulips! hydrangea!) rather than having the same old things mostly. I love seeing the brook near my house freeze over and thaw, wait for my first glimpse of the swans (though I sometimes see them in the dead of winter--even our swans are hardy). I live on the beach and walk it most of the year, though I have to wait until spring for the clam shacks and ice cream shops down the shore at the public beach to open, and boy, do I enjoy them when I can.

Seeing the changes of season happen gives me so much pleasure. I had a hard time living without that. When we moved to Orlando from Boca Raton, I was thrilled that we had one tree in our yard that dropped its leaves, but it was a poor, poor substitute for four seasons.

Yeah, you have to be tough to live in a cold climate. I like the effect that has on the population, frankly.

Even my native Floridian husband--he had never lived anywhere but Florida until we moved here in 2002--loves it and would never go back to Florida. We don't even like to visit. I won't go into our reasons because clearly you love it, but I love my state, too and have a better life here, especially as someone with medical challenges, many of which are found in the elderly population. It's not one of the top states listed for retirement in that list, but it has been on others, and I can understand why.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Best are where you can do what you like to do. worst are the place where you can't. Retirement is not a one size fits all thing.

I hate the heat and/or humidity of the south, love the ocean and the outdoors and don't mind the cold. I enjoy the whole process of making maple syrup. Maine is a pretty good fit. I've been in every state except Alaska and will visit there some day.
For many others (thankfully) that's not such a good fit.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Of course, my dream is to retire to the UK...

With the greatest possible respect...are you freaking insane?!

Unless you have family here (and you may well do, in which case feel free to ignore me) why in the world would you want to move here? We want to retire to your country!

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Best are where you can do what you like to do. worst are the place where you can't. Retirement is not a one size fits all thing.

Yes, but there are some areas of the country where more things are possible. I have been all over the world, I've lived in LA, and I've lived in London, and I still think Minneapolis is one of the best cities in the world. No matter what it is you like to do, you can probably do it here, and still afford to live here.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but there are some areas of the country where more things are possible. I have been all over the world, I've lived in LA, and I've lived in London, and I still think Minneapolis is one of the best cities in the world. No matter what it is you like to do, you can probably do it here, and still afford to live here.

Unless one of those things includes "not live in or near a city".

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I googled around a bit but couldn't find any statistics on where those who move when they retire, actually do move to. Anyone up for it?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd think family would be my main consideration of where I move when I retire.

Wow never really thought that far ahead before.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
California's a lousy place to live if you're on a fixed income. Housing is expensive here. Some retirees do all right here if they live in a pricey neighborhood, sell their house at the right time, then move to a smaller place in a less expensive part of the state. Many of our cities and towns have cruddy public transit. I don't know if they looked at this, but it should have been a factor, as there's a point when many older folks have to hang up the car keys. SF is a good place to live if you can't drive, but only if you have a lot of money. Ease of getting around when you're old should be a factor too, though it doesn't look like it was in this particular survey. I'd guess that Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska wouldn't receive high marks in the ease of getting around without a car and/or good driving skills department.

Last edited: