16 Year Old Boy Survives As Stowaway In Airplane Wheel Well To Maui

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A 16-year-old boy apparently jumped a fence at the San Jose airport and climbed into the wheelwell of a 767 headed for Maui.

After five hours at 38,000 feet in subzero temperatures he apparently has survived.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...towaway-survives-in-wheel-well-of-Maui-flight

This seems incredible, but is not unprecedented. But if true, the next question is this:

With our billion-dollar TSA, passengers removing shoes and having shampoo scrutinized, how exactly is it possible for 16-year-old boy to jump the fence and run up to a jet without anyone noticing? How about if instead of climbing in the wheel well he simply had placed a quantity of explosives in it?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the idiotic NSA security breach, this incident is proof that adolescents are both stupid and lucky, sme of the time. Why exactly you'd need to stow away in a wheel well of an airliner to go from San Jose to Maui is an issue only this numbskull can elucideate. And it ain't likely that will happen.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The TSA isn't about security, it's about "Security Theatre"; providing lip service to safety concerns when it's really about training obedience and complacency into the population.

You know, the way we have "Democracy Theatre" at the voting booths, but all the decisions are really made to benefit the oligarchy.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why did he do it? Was he running from home?
Yes. He did it after a big fight with his parents.

The TSA isn't about security, it's about "Security Theatre"; providing lip service to safety concerns when it's really about training obedience and complacency into the population.

You know, the way we have "Democracy Theatre" at the voting booths, but all the decisions are really made to benefit the oligarchy.
TRUTH.

ETA:
This sixteen year old wasn't so lucky,
Very interesting that the above article, from 2010, has a link to a Boston Globe article about the incident "raising security concerns." Four years later, the exact same "concerns" are "being raised" by a similar incident, underscoring Don's point.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I went to Maui afew years ago. Great trip. We saw a lot. Black Sand Beach, Road to Hannah, Etc....

I didn't get to see the inside of a wheel well of a plane.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised there's any room in those wheel wells for a person to stow away in without getting squished. Do they deliberately leave breathing room, knowing idiots are going to try this?

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, I once did a tremendous amount of research onto the feasibility of stowing away via a wheel well (what can I say, my characters utilize "alternative transportation"). The wheel wells of most large passenger aircraft connect to the plane's underbelly - usually via a very skinny opening only a very foolish teenager would attempt to squeeze through.

Makes for a good story. And a very bad idea.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I remember hearing a story along these lines a few years back, but the particulars of the circumstances elude me. Didn't it turn out to be a hoax? I can't find the reference though.

It's hard to believe this is for real, given the extreme cold and lack of oxygen over five hours. Of course, being very cold makes it easier to survive hypoxia, but I'm amazed he doesn't have severe frostbite at least.

His parents evidently claim that he's troubled...

I found another article that claims about one person a year falls from the sky as a result of an unsuccessful attempt to stow away on a plane.

This raises a pretty serious concern, however. If it's impossible for airports to control access to the tarmac where planes are being loaded and fueled, it's only a matter of time before someone uses this route to sabotage an airliner while we're all submitting to full body scans and having our bags checked for shampoo and toothpaste containers larger than six ounces.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

Yep.