Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
To me Valentines Day is an utterly shameless consumerist effort to force people into buying stuff they don't need, all to force a manipulative and shallow interpretation of romance on those with partners and to make those without feel pathetic and lonely.

It is easily my least favourite holiday, and that includes the stupid ones that seem arbitary at the best of times, like Guy Fawkes Night or, I dunno... Flag Day or something.

Agreed on Valentine's Day. The SO and I ignore it, on the grounds that if we need to be told to do something romantic, it isn't romantic any more.

As for Guy Fawkes' Night, that's a bit different. The way I put it is that half the country celebrates that a man got caught before he could blow up Parliament and the King. The other half celebrates that he got so damned close...

(Also, Guy Fawkes' might have a different explanation. Samhain was the most important night of the year, in pre-Christian times. The old year ended. Five days later, the new year started, and fire was a major part of the ceremony. And five days after halloween is... yeah. I can't help but think that has something to do with it...)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I.. May be bucking the trend, but valentines day doesn't really concern me. I'm happy other couples are happy. It makes me smile.

Wait. We aren't unhappy that other people are happy, obviously, just unhappy that we aren't. A day that celebrates couples just rubs it in more than other days.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
No, not suggesting that. Just... I don't get the 'unhappiness because I'm not in a couple' thing. I suppose it would be pleasent enough, but I have honestly not met anyone to knock my socks off, so I don't feel... A need or really a want to be in a relationship.

So I just find it all sickenly cute :p

Not suggesting that other people are unhappy because others are happy. It's just doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Which, according to most popular literature, makes me weird, but meh :p

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning. I dreamt I was on a carriage with a crazy dude, then kayaking with a lazy dude, then on a mini patoon boat that might tip with a buncha folks, then moving into a flat in NZ (and not on a vehicle or vessel thank the gods.

Why cant I just sleep ffs?

And public thanks to Fenika for twisting my arm to join in the SS this year - I'd not done any of the story swaps in the past and I wonder if I would ever have written this one if I hadn't been given this prompt.

Back to normal silliness now. Carry on.

:heart:

I have all this time now for my SS, so I'm just going to go and read :)

*waves*

:whip:

How's this for a pulp-y Cantina cover?

pulp-o-mizer_cover_image.jpg

Wow. We're gonna need a moonbase Cantina map now. Anyone?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
INCREDIBLY PAINFUL LEG CRAMP.

...ugh, I am just staying in bed and playing Snatcher today. Just hoping that my leg doesn't hurt like hell tomorrow.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I'm up. Morning folks.

There is lots of snow on the ground, at least to this southern DE native it's lots. The wind is dire but I have Dragon Eye Oolong and a bit of rooibos too.

Breakfast will be the normal kasza and cheese, with extra coriander and whatever feels right to add.

Everyone is invited over to birdwatch.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, cue panic:

*runs around* Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:cry:

*runs more*

*smashes into random smibble piles*

:chair

*crawls into the editing cave*

*crawls back out*

My baby has now been subbed to Strange Horizons. It might not be to their tastes. I need them to love it. *hyperventilates*

Okay, I'm good. I swear. *checks status update page* *refreshes* ... *refreshes* ... *checks email even though the iPhone instantly notifies me when I have mail*

:eek:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*chugs* Mmm, soothing. Thank you. Dragon Eye?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show us your squid :D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I never met the late Emma Blair (in real life a 6'4" Glaswegian called Iain Blair) which is a pity as I would have bought her a drink. I entered a competition back in the 90s with a novel of mine and he was one of the judges.

Whenever people get uppity about SF/F being sexist, and expecting authors to be mostly male, I point to romance as being the most sexist of genres - anything written by a guy has to be disguised to get into the hands of the reading public. Double standards? Oh yes. Does anyone want to do anything about it? Apparently not...

And it is much easier to pick on the geeks, right? *sulks*

(and that is one of the reasons things like Women In Horror month is appealing, but I already caused a kerfuffle in the Hounds when I explicitly approved of highlighting women in a genre so I'll leave off that here)

How's this for a pulp-y Cantina cover?

pulp-o-mizer_cover_image.jpg

I am ever so in love with the avvies and blog posts using those images... Best website of the year? Quite possibly.

My baby has now been subbed to Strange Horizons. It might not be to their tastes. I need them to love it. *hyperventilates*

Good luck. :)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Deer! Streaking through my yard!

I have an appointment with a personal trainer at 12:15. Raar!

Glad folks like the cover. :) I think we have a secret moon base as well as a Pirate ship tree house.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*clicks refresh on SH response time*

:gaah

;)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My cat is so odd. Normally he wants nothing to do with my husband. But just now, Domino (the cat) climbed up in his lap and sat there, looking at him with that "give me adulation, peon!" look on his face. Hubby petted him for about thirty seconds, and then Domino went away again. Tribute received.

Status
Not open for further replies.