• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Loose Id

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
<link snipped>

BTW, there's a sticky at the top of this forum with an index to publishers. Often you can find something there easier than through the forum search engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Of all my publishers, current and past, Loose-id is my favorite. They are the most professional, pay like clockwork--by comparison to my other pubs who can be weeks or months late--and I get reasonably fast replies to emails. Days instead of weeks. My sales with them are far better than at most of my other publishers. They were very resposive to changing a cover I didn't like. This is my experience, I'm sure the experiences of other people vary, but I can't say I've heard the same horror stories about Loose-id that I've heard--or experienced--first hand with other publishers.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
I too would continue to recommend them. Small press, but professionally run, with reasonable sales numbers by small press standards. My sales numbers vary, but I'd be pretty disappointed now if something novella or novel length didn't sell 500 copies in the first year, and my best result to date has been 1700 copies in the first 18 months or so. At 35% of cover, that's money worth having.

As ever, I would recommend that if you can sell your book to one of the big mainstream print publishers, you do so -- but there are niche markets where there isn't a big enough market to be worth New York's while, but the market's big enough to support a good small press.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I had some dealings with Loose Id recently and they were the coolest!

It took them 9 days from e-query to response which is much faster than the 6-8 weeks they warn you it usually takes. As they request I had sent them a partial of the first few chapters and a detailed synopsis.

Althought ultimately I got a thumbs down it was a very encouraging one - "It is clear that you have put a lot of thought into your plot and the background information that makes up the mythology within your manuscript. The different settings and the love triangle make for a vibrant and interesting story."

It also contained genuine, personalised feedback on my MS, suggesting revisions I could make, particularly to the ending and some passages of exposition that they felt were a bit lengthy. Although the obviously didn't go so far as to say 'if you make these changes we'll def publish your novel' they did say that these were changes 'we would like you to make' and that 'we hope you will alter the ending' in accordance with their suggestions, saying 'Just because we aren’t interested in acquiring your manuscript right now doesn’t mean we never will be, or that your work lacks merit'.

I'm seriously considering making some of these changes and doing some rewriting and then re-submitting. What are your thoughts? Has anyone sold anything to Loose ID recently? Or has anyone else made changes to a rejected MS and then successfully placed it with Loose ID? Just curious!!

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Have to agree with Cherry. My dealings with this press has been just AWESOME. They sent me a two page letter that was very encouraging although it was ultimately a rejection, but it was personalized, also with revision suggestions and an invitation to submit other things that might be better suited to them. Hopefully, I can resubmit once I do the revisions. I'll have to ask.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I just wanted to pipe in my 2 cents. I just signed my very first book contract with Loose Id. They have been absolutely wonderful so far. They've been quite patient with my 'newbie' questions and were open to negotiating/discussing/clarifying terms of the contract for me. They are very professional and also friendly, which makes a great mixture. I dont get that cold, form letter feel from any of their communications, yet nothing comes across as juvenile or amatuerish either. They are sussinct, quick and friendly!!

I also concur about their quick responses. Almost all of their replies have been same day. Turn time on submission to acceptance was a total of just under 3 weeks I think. It took less than 48 hours to reply that the submission had been received. Five more days, then I received a request for the full manuscript, then 12 days later I received the acceptance letter. So... 19 days from submission to acceptance. I think that's lightning quick!

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
My year end summary of the pattern of my sales is up at EREC. This is just my personal experience, but might be of interest as all my in-print titles are with Loose Id. One further point not in the EREC post -- I've essentially had 18 months off from writing owing to interference by Real Life, and thus have had no releases in 2009 to help boost the interest in the backlist.

Last edited:

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
loose id - revise and resubmit

does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com
does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?

I've collected five (yes, five) R&Rs from them. With the exception of one time, I'd always sold the book to someone else and never bothered to make any changes. The one book I didn't sell elsewhere had been written specifically for Loose Id (more on my blog) and never sent anywhere else. I did the revisions they asked for (four months later--eep!) and received an acceptance a few weeks ago.

Long story short...do the revisions.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org

Yup. Edited, resubmitted, and got an acceptance a couple of weeks ago (still so psyched!). Took me six months to get around to it, and they were still lovely about it.

It was a specific rewrite request (i.e. we'll almost certainly take this if you do the following...), not just general suggestions, though. Don't know if that makes a difference. One of the comments in the acceptance was that they were pleased I was willing to make changes, so they do appreciate the effort in an author.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes. :D

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I've been with Loose Id since 2008, and not once have I gotten a late statement or payment. Considering the number of authors they have this is a very impressive accomplishment and--other than my own house--they are the ONLY publisher I've been with that's been consistently on time.

Stephanie Mojica

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniemojica.com
I've worked with Loose ID on several editing/writing/reviewing projects since 2008 and always find them top-notch to deal with. I would recommend them without reservation.

Good luck!

Peace, love, and happiness,
Stephanie

Reaction score
I received a R&R from them this summer and followed all but one of their suggestions. Actually it was more like an R&R, then another R&R on the same book with "You're nearly there and we really want to publish it but it needs some tweaking..." then an acceptance.

By the Book is out in January...and I've already spent the advance. :D

LoriToland

Registered
Reaction score
Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes. :D

Who did it go to? :)

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Just saw your question Lori, sorry about the delay! It went to Jana J. Hanson. I've heard nothing but great things about her from a few of her authors. I sent out the partial on the 5th, and received a request for the full from Ms. Hanson on the 14th. :)

--hope I just didn't bury her under submissions!--

LoriToland

Registered
Reaction score
If I knew then, what I know now... Do the revisions. Anytime an editor takes time out of their day to give you feedback on what they want changed, it means they want the story if you are willing to do these changes. Plus it also shows you are willing to work with your editor and trust them to help you mold your story.

I too received a list of things to change from LI on my first story. I thanked the editor and moved on and published elsewhere. I always kept her in mind and when it came to my next novella, she was my first pick. And lo and behold, she picked it up and came back with a R/R. This time I resubmitted it back to her with the changes and now it's coming out in 2011. :)

KariGregg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KariGregg.com
Mine was an acceptance, but with my agreement to deliver specific (and significant) revisions that I'd already discussed with my editor. I don't have the contract in front of me, but they also gave me loads of time. I knew I could do the work a lot faster, though, so I did.

Anyhoo, the editing is top-notch, the covers are stellar. My LI title won't release until later this month so I can't speak for promptness of payment & record-keeping yet.

If they ask for revisions, though, by all means, do the revisions. LI is 100% full of win. ;-)

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I sold my novella to Loose Id!
Ms. Hanson, my editor-happy dance-, has been fantastic with my newbie questions and very open to communication. Their new author packet is fantastic and I can really tell that they are an established e-pub by the quality and detail of their acceptance letter. It went into things they would like to polish in the story before I signed, giving me the oppertunity to know what would be worked on etc.

loves them :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome news, Ann. They put out a quality product and the authors I know who are with them all rave about their editors.