Best time to join RWA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wren Winters

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a best month to join Romance Writers of America?

I don't want to waste my money by joining in February when my dues are up on May.

I'm a hobby romance writer. I'm not sure RWA is the place I should be. I'm looking for a group of romance writers to share ideas. Also, to help & encourage each other with our writing

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
They'll ding you $25 extra if you let your membership lapse. Apart from that, I can't think of any other time that makes it a good time to join.

If your focus in writing romance is not to aim at publication, RWA may not be a good fit for you, going forward. Their plan is to change their membership into two "tiers" -- general members who are career-focused according to their numeric standards and novels completed in a certain number of years; and associate members who are not producing at that level, for whatever reason.

Have you checked the Meetup groups in your area? There are several excellent writers' groups close to me, and I've had the privilege of learning from them for a few years now.

Wren Winters

Registered
Reaction score
There are meetup writing groups in my area but none specialize in romance writing.
I don't want to make them uncomfortable. I like romance and hot looking heroes in my stories.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for meetings in person? Or just online? You might be able to go to a local chapter RWA meeting or two for free or for $5 and see if you like it. That's how it works here...I don't know if all the local chapters are like that.

Wren Winters

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for meetings in person group.

I was able to visit the San Diego RWA chapter and enjoyed the meeting very much. I think I would fit in just fine the people are very friendly and accepting of me.

I have looked at the paranormal, futuristic & fantasy RWA chapter online and I like that chapter.

I just not sure if I'll join as a general member or a associate member. I would like to be published but I don't want to be pressured.

Seeing my writing as a career that I must produce a certain amount of books sounds like pressure :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
The forums are an excellent place to get information and to chat with other authors - as well, there are free courses at the RWA "University" that cover a variety of topics. Recently I've seen courses on staying healthy for writers, writing historical romances and an upcoming one on motorcycle clubs and how to write them.

Depends on what you're looking for... I just joined last fall and aside from the discount for submitting my books for the RITAS I'm getting a lot out of my membership!

:)

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Is there a best month to join Romance Writers of America?

I don't want to waste my money by joining in February when my dues are up on May.

I'm a hobby romance writer. I'm not sure RWA is the place I should be. I'm looking for a group of romance writers to share ideas. Also, to help & encourage each other with our writing

Any Thoughts?

Why not join the Romance Divas? It's free and full of romance writers at various stages in their career: http://forums.romancedivas.com/index.php

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
If your focus in writing romance is not to aim at publication, RWA may not be a good fit for you, going forward. Their plan is to change their membership into two "tiers" -- general members who are career-focused according to their numeric standards and novels completed in a certain number of years; and associate members who are not producing at that level, for whatever reason.

Interesting.

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
Why not join the Romance Divas? It's free and full of romance writers at various stages in their career: http://forums.romancedivas.com/index.php
I just joined Romance Divas...it looks like it went through and just needs Admin review, but then I noticed on their Home page there's a box stating they're not accepting new members at this time. Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.