What type of hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Too many alpha males I've read (and there isn't a whole ton tbh) edge too close to ego-maniacal narcissists to me. People who are so sure of themselves all the time seem unreal to me. I don't like to read about people used to getting things their way all the time either.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Becky sort of nailed it for me. I like my romantic leads confident and charismatic, with a sense of humor and compassion (preferably in an unexpected way). I also most prefer the hero to have a weak spot, something that will exact a toll during the story. I'm with Motley when it comes to people getting their way all the time. No thanks, no matter who it is in the story.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
For me an "alpha male" as a personality type is silly. Yes, they'll generally be confident, but they won't all be broody and bossy and all that stuff. A natural leader doesn't boss people around, they exude a charisma that makes people want to follow them. And that doesn't preclude them from having a sense of humour, or sensitivity, or the ability to be compassionate or considerate.

Basically don't get me started... :D

I'll happily read about actual alpha males, not the gits masquerading as them in so many books these days.

I wrote a romantic comedy that was supposed to be rather satirical. The "hero" is a dick who is convinced he should marry the heroine, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is (very slightly) less of an asshole than her ex-husband, however. I got a personalized rejection that called the hero likable! But he wasn't supposed to be...

Some of the "alpha" heroes today are completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy reading some Alphas, but when they get too...too Alpha, then I'm not so interested. heh. My hero in my novel is a Dom, but I wouldn't classify him as a traditional book Alpha. He's a rockabilly dude, who has a passion for rope bondage and collecting records. He cares about his pomaded hair, but can make my heroine kneel in a heartbeat (of her own free will, of course).

That's what I love about writing. I can dream up my dream man and make him come to life.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a romantic comedy that was supposed to be rather satirical. The "hero" is a dick who is convinced he should marry the heroine, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is (very slightly) less of an asshole than her ex-husband, however. I got a personalized rejection that called the hero likable! But he wasn't supposed to be...
But I bet you treated those like actual flaws. You know, instead of "oh wow, you're so arrogant, misogynistic, and controlling it makes my panties wet." (Or was it that kind of satire? I'm curious. :tongue)

I'm fine with flawed heroes. I really enjoy them. But I hate it when I'm expected to find creepy behavior romantic. If an acquaintance tracks you down to your college university, drops in mid-class, and informs you that you're going on a date with him... you shouldn't be impressed with his confidence, you should be telling him to back the hell off.

I like flaws. But they should be treated like flaws, not ways to make the main character edgier.

That guy I mentioned earlier? The charming sociopath? He genuinely cares for his lover, but he fucks up. When a rival comes along and he gets jealous, he decides to drive the guy off by turning them against each other. And... guess what happens. His lover catches on, throws a fit, and dumps him. It ruins his love life. It takes him years to regain his ex-lover's trust. That's the natural consequence of being a manipulative prick.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
But I bet you treated those like actual flaws. You know, instead of "oh wow, you're so arrogant, misogynistic, and controlling it makes my panties wet." (Or was it that kind of satire? I'm curious. :tongue)

I thought his actions would speak for themselves. He gets the girl in the end, but I didn't mean for the reader to be *happy* about that, since he's a jerk. The heroine is not turned on by his arrogance, but is blown away by one amazing kiss in the rain and thinks it's wonderful that he's not as much of a jerk as her billionaire ex-husband.

I guess I didn't quite succeed at my goal...Some people seem to like alpha-holes. I cannot stand such "heroes."

Status
Not open for further replies.