Have you ever used another story as inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Feeling a bit chatty tonight, as I'm working on the series plotting of my new fantasy romances.

I'm using themes (or subverting, as the case may be.... heh...) from The Three Musketeers. Love me some Dumas (yes, will probably use The Count in the future, too!).

I've thoroughly enjoyed Marissa Meyer's YA scifi series based on various fairy tales (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress), and plan to use these themes or plot points in a similar way. As inspiration for a whole new spin.

How do you feel about stories (or movies) like this? Like them or hate them? Can you recommend any?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I think we all use stories as inspiration, consciously or subconsciously. I mean our imagination builds these stories from our experiences and memories, not out of thin air, so it would be only logical that the worlds we build would have bits and pieces of other peoples worlds in it. After all, there is no such thing as an original story ra ra ra and we're all retelling the same seven stories with our own twist la la la.

That said, I try to not blatantly rip off others work. I read a series that(I have no idea how it got published) was such a BLATANT rip off of Ann Bishop's 'Black Jewels' series and Laurell K. Hamilton's 'Anita Blake' series that the author even wrote a forward saying how she ripped them off. Not in those exact terms, she called it inspiration, but it was the weirdest fucking book, almost like fan fiction mish-mash of those series. I read it before I started writing and even then I was like 'Wow, that's some balls on both the author and publisher's part'.

Let me see if I can find the books...

Found it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RWQVTE/?tag=absowrit-20

Last edited:

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it happens all the time, sometimes deliberately, sometimes unconsciously, sometimes because you're yelling at a book, "No! That's not what should happen next!"

As for me, I am at the moment working on a book inspired by The Prisoner of Zenda.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on an idea inspired by themes in Sense and Sensibility and Bridget Jones' Diary, with a twist. Of course Bridget Jones' Diary is self-consciously influenced by Austen itself, and I recommend that, so it can work.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I think we all do it, either consciously or sub-. There's said to be how many "original" plots. The number varies. 6? 8? Don't know and actually don't care.

I know retellings of classic fairy tales are hot right now. TV has jumped on that bandwagon, but in our market, Melanie Dickerson has a YA series based on these. Don't let the anachronistic covers fool you (they're at least 100 years too "late" for the setting of the story), they're terrific.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I have definitely used other authors' novels to give me a "mood". I started my first trilogy after reading a hugely popular series of books, and I used them to help me gauge the levels of sex, violence, etc. that the readers were likely to enjoy.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP is inspired by a fanfic I read a long, long time ago.

I take from everything. Little pieces, like Legos.

wordsmithy

M/M Erotica Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Nothin' wrong with getting inspiration from other stories. Where else are you supposed to get it from?

I'm sure borrowing from Dumas is fine. Some stories are so good they translate easily into different settings and time periods. You bring your own voice to the table in the way that you choose to translate them - what emphasis you put on which characters and emotions in the story, and what style and tone you use.

Sounds like fun to me - happy writing!

CRMooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readrecently.wordpress.com
Fantasy author Steven Brust wrote an entire series, "The Phoenix Guards" based not-too loosely on The Three Musketeers", albeit set in a world where some people live a very, very long time (and thus, instead of Twenty Years After we get 500 Years After).

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I remember reading a book (Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth) and thinking about wishing a particular part (about a long journey) were told in more detail. So I did that in my next book - put the characters on a long, harrowing journey, and told of what happened along the way.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
This question reminds me of my favorite Jim Jarmusch quote:
“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.'"
I love when authors or filmmakers take classic stories and add their own unique spin. Of course, you want to make sure your idea is distinct enough to stand on its own, but like those before me have said, we're all just rewriting the same stories. The trick is to write them in such a way that readers don't realize they've already read them.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
One of my favorite fantasy series is by Juliet Marillier, where she takes Irish fairy tales and novelizes them. I kept reading through one (Daughter of the Forest) thinking 'I remember this!' - a girl with 7 brothers, evil stepmother; stepmother turns the brothers into swans. Girl must stay silent for the two years it takes her to knit sweaters out of thistles, one for each brother, to transform them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.