Happily Ever After.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwml1997

Registered
Reaction score
Good Day All,

First post, love this forum....such a great place to creep:). But I've finally decided to step into the fray and ask for some honest thoughts. I'm posting here because my story, while super sexy (no fade to black), there is a very real love story that I think readers would care about.(Or maybe I should post in Erotica? Anyways...)

Currently toying with a steamy erotic romance story where my ending is less than happily ever after (for now). My current direction is having the M/F leads part under rather tragic circumstances in the end, with full intentions of continuing the (happier) story fast forwarded 5-10 years in the future as a stand alone second novel.

Would romance readers/potential publishers be pissed if I did this? My reasoning for the two-parter is the time lapse would either have to be fully explored (grief...sadness...anger...not very romantic..) which I'm not sure I'm prepared to or even want to explore. I think it would take up considerable page space to do it justice.

The premise of the second novel would have our heroine now adjusted to her life without #1 (possibly single mom to child he never knew about.) and finding love with sexy younger guy over a summer in a seaside town.?...only to have #1 return...oooo the sexy conflict. Reader A could conceivably pick up Book 2 and read it without being too discombobulated (and want to go back and read Book1)

Or would readers/publishers be OK with say a circa 2005-2010 "end scene" followed by a glossed over fast tracked time warp to 2015...would they find that too jarring?

Basically, I can do two smaller novels or one larger one....any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance, love and light!

Maggs

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Currently toying with a steamy erotic romance story where my ending is less than happily ever after (for now). My current direction is having the M/F leads part under rather tragic circumstances in the end, with full intentions of continuing the (happier) story fast forwarded 5-10 years in the future as a stand alone second novel.

Personally, if I pick up a book that's labelled "romance", no matter what the subgenre (historical, fantasy, erotic, etc) and the leads part in the end, I would be very unlikely to try another book by that author.

Even if there was an assurance that the sequel ended happily, I wouldn't care. I go into a romance with certain expectations, and if an author doesn't meet those expectations... well, there are a lot of romances out there. So you may want to consider calling Book 1 a love story instead.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if I pick up a book that's labelled "romance", no matter what the subgenre (historical, fantasy, erotic, etc) and the leads part in the end, I would be very unlikely to try another book by that author.

Even if there was an assurance that the sequel ended happily, I wouldn't care. I go into a romance with certain expectations, and if an author doesn't meet those expectations... well, there are a lot of romances out there. So you may want to consider calling Book 1 a love story instead.

Yeah, I agree.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with what's been said above, plus you may have trouble getting a romance publisher to accept anything less than a Happy For Now. For some (most?) of them, that requirement is stated in their submission guidelines.

chelsea

Registered
Reaction score
When I read romance I want a happy ending it's a big part of the reason I read romance. But I suppose there are books like the Notebook that have very sad endings so there must be an audience for it.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
When I read romance I want a happy ending it's a big part of the reason I read romance. But I suppose there are books like the Notebook that have very sad endings so there must be an audience for it.

THE NOTEBOOK (and others of that ilk) is Women's Fiction or Commercial Fiction. There certainly is an audience for it, but it's not genre romance. See Girlyswot's link. :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
But I suppose there are books like the Notebook that have very sad endings so there must be an audience for it.

What Stacia said.

Some of the love stories I've enjoyed are Gone with the Wind, The Thorn Birds and A Woman of Substance. None of which end up with the hero and heroine together, despite being great reads and emotionally moving. But these aren't genre romances.

I'm fine with sad endings as long as I don't go into the book expecting a happy ending because the book was described as a romance.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm on the same page as the others. Nicholas Sparks writes romances, but he won't label his books as such 'cause girl cooties. That said, I rarely read his work. I prefer a happily-together ending, even if there are unanswered questions of other types at the end of the book.

I did that once--just once. I have Him proposing to Her, as in, "So, are you going to marry me?"

And She says, "Perhaps."

I think I've left it strong enough in the rest of the novel that the strength of their relationship is such that he'll get her to yes before long, and the HEA is still there. I hope.

I think yours would be a strong series of books; I don't believe, however, you'd get away with violating the HEA compact.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I attended the Library of Congress's popular romance fiction conference earlier this month. The type of story the OP describes in book 1 is a love story, as others have said, not a romance. Everyone at the conference, both on the panels and in the audience, was pretty adamant: romance requires the HEA ending. Love stories do not.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm on the same page as the others. Nicholas Sparks writes romances, but he won't label his books as such 'cause girl cooties.

That's not really the page I'm on. :) Nicholas Sparks does not write romances. He writes Women's Fiction or Commercial Fiction. He writes love stories, or even tragedies. But his books are not romances.

I believe that he won't label his books as romances because of girl cooties, but his publishers won't label his books as romances because to do so would be to miscategorize them and mislead and piss off readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.