• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

If you've never had a Beta Reader...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
...how do you vet for one, both personally and online?

From what I understand, a beta reader should be someone who knows your genre and is otherwise familiar with the genre and mission you are trying to accomplish, as well as being someone of marginal intelligence and literacy, right?

It seems to me as if it would be self-defeating to let someone who you don't trust or know to beta read and then take their criticism and direction if they are not "qualified", for the lack of a better word.

So, how do you guys vet who you decide to let touch your manuscript, for the better?

Last edited:

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Get to know them. My betas all came from another forum - I knew their writing styles and how they worked, as well as what their strengths and weaknesses were.

Talk to people. Read their stuff.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's one of the big benefits of a site like AW. We have a beta-readers thread here, but generally people don't offer (and don't get) swaps or reads until they've been around quite a while and established a bit of a post history.

The SYW forum also provides a fair indication of a writer's work or a beta's work.

In the real world, people use people they know whose ideas and expertise they value.

Last edited:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
What is the SYW forum? I need a password?

Thanks for the insight. I have found that I don't have too many people in my day to day life that I think would fit the bill as a beta reader for my MS and was hoping there was a magic bullet for online.

Looks like there isn't.

Thanks!

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
...how do you vet for one, both personally and online?

It seems to me as if it would be self-defeating to let someone who you don't trust or know to beta read and then take their criticism and direction if they are not "qualified", for the lack of a better word.

So, how do you guys vet who you decide to let touch your manuscript, for the better?

:sarcasm

it is really simple:

(1) Have the prospective victim...err..beta person fill out the 17 page questionnaire located in the beta forum.

(2) Have them provide three written references with full contact information.

(3) Supply release of information forms for a full criminal background check.

(4) Have them sign the handy quit-claim deed to all their worldly possessions located in post 3,427,698 on the quitclaim thread.

(5) Provide a 5,000 word essay on their qualifications, including all education and training.

(6) Provide a proposed timeline for handling the manuscript, detailing relevant requirements for 24/7 communication.

(7) Provide verified email address with two alternates.

(8) Schedule a video interview.

(9) Take a short proctored test, it is a multiple choice/essay type of 100 questions in a timed format.

(10) Then you can surrender the manuscript knowing it is in good hands.

In all seriousness, what the others said. Read the relevant FAQ's. Observe SYW (Share Your Work), even though you can't post your work for review yet. See how others do critiques and see what you think would work for you when the time comes.

You will get a definite feel for others through their posts in the forum. HTH

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The password is vista - but Moth, do read the FAQs for newbies, won't you?

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
all of the above and this:

a reader is a reader is a reader. As such, any reader's feedback is valuable, and whether your reader is a published author, an editor, or the lady next door, you will still have to use your own judgment, as the writer, to see if you agree or not with their opinions, and remind yourself that no matter what, you will never please everyone.

Good luck in finding beta readers, send your first chapter/ scene, see what they make of it and if it fits what you need to hear, make sure you have thick skin and eager learning abilities to make the most of what you get.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it that way, tbh. I think writers who have finished a novel without participating in critiques often aren't ready to have their whole first attempt marked up at once. Critiques are often hard to take until you get used to them. Probably best to risk a little bit and get a little bit of critique at a time, at first.

I won't usually do first novels anymore and know many others who won't, either. We quickly got tired of putting in possibly twenty hours or more work for someone we barely knew, only to get a snotty reply in return. The writer was expecting encouraging social comments like their family and friends may have made and real critiques from other writers sent them into meltdown mode.

It's also hard to get detailed, thorough, skillful beta reads out of the blue. It's a lot of work for them and a lot of people wanting the same. Many people will send it back with just a few general comments even if it needs much more than that. Others just don't have the skills yet. And beta reads should be a quick, final once-over polish, which a first novel, with no eyes on it but the writer's, is likely not ready for.

I'd slow down a bit and put up a chapter at a time in SYW first, including a short synopsis of the entire novel with each chapter.

As you go, be sure to critique for others as well so you can form partnerships. Also because there are so many common errors/problems we see in other people's work that we don't see in our own. It's an excellent way to improve writing skills. And, it's only fair. People are more likely to help someone who is giving them something back.

Keep your original draft in case you later feel like you've "over edited." Just disregard any suggestions that you don't agree with, which will be many. If more than one person says the same thing, consider it again but still don't change it if you don't see a good reason to.

First novels are typically riddled with problems that the writer has no idea of, and often the same errors throughout. As you get each chapter back and re-write it with the critiques in mind, be sure to go through the rest of the manuscript and change those repeating things there, too. People tend to quit sticking with a novel if it seems the writer either isn't listening or expects the critiquers to mark the same things again and again rather than do their work themselves.

It's important to seem appreciative of people's efforts. Always say thank you and don't argue with them, even if it's not a useful critique or they say something that sounds ridiculous. It's always up to you to use or disregard any suggestions.

Throughout, keep in mind that people will often hop in and out and just do a chapter here and there. That's fine because you can benefit from what helps and just disregard what you know they're missing from not having read the whole thing.

Once it's been put through SYW a chapter at a time, see if you can get some beta readers/swaps for the final, overall polish.

That's how I'd do it, anyway. Good luck. And huge congrats on finishing the draft!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...any reader's feedback is valuable, and whether your reader is a published author, an editor, or the lady next door.

I agree with this. We talk about experience and skills yet at the same time, the credentials don't necessarily mean a thing. Some of my best critiques have been from people who don't even write. We are all readers and therefore know what works for us or sounds "off" somehow.

As I think T. Robinson hit on in a joking way, I don't worry about people being qualified enough. I take it from as many people as I can get, then just use whatever hits me as "aha, that's right." Doesn't matter who said it.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot there's now a 50 post rule. You have to have 50 posts before you're allowed to post your own work in SYW (Share Your Work). Making some of those posts critiques of other people's work in SYW is a good way to get some of them and get a feel for it, as well as start making some connections. The rule came about because too many people were coming in wanting to take but not giving anything back. But if you really do want to request beta readers at this stage, that is allowed without the 50 posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.