• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Freewriting exercises to get un-stuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am stuck on a few different pieces that I have going. I think they all share a lack of self-confidence and hesitation when it comes to decision-making.

I was trying to think of a good freewriting exercise that I could do to get to the heart of each piece. Two are short stories and one is a critical, nonfiction essay. Can anyone think of good freewriting that I can do to better access what it is I want to write in these pieces?

Thank you.

Jodie

writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
For your fiction pieces I would suggest freewriting about your main characters. Try and find out what they want. If you are still stuck you could try freewriting on the setting or the plot of your story.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
This probably sounds weird, but one of the things I do when I'm stuck on a particular problem is try to explain it as if I'm writing a forum post. That means starting with a broad overview of what the story/essay/whatever is about (because nobody on the forum will know any details in advance) then explaining the exact problem I'm having using only the context of what's already in the post. For some reason, solutions have a tendency to appear while I'm trying to explain the problem.

(You don't have to actually post it, although that's an option if no solution presents itself.)

Titan Orion

Demigod of Order
Registered
Reaction score
This probably sounds weird, but one of the things I do when I'm stuck on a particular problem is try to explain it as if I'm writing a forum post. That means starting with a broad overview of what the story/essay/whatever is about (because nobody on the forum will know any details in advance) then explaining the exact problem I'm having using only the context of what's already in the post. For some reason, solutions have a tendency to appear while I'm trying to explain the problem.

(You don't have to actually post it, although that's an option if no solution presents itself.)

I do this as well. Write it out in note/overview format as if you were going to show someone else, so it has to make sense. Actually having someone else to show it to can also help

Threak 17

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the write it out as a note/post to self kind of deal. Also, I find that when I read the spots I'm stuck on out loud, they have a tendency to resolve themselves. It's like being your own second opinion.

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
These are good ideas! I tried writing a letter from my "co-star" character to my star character, and it helped me bring more depth to him. And we all know that the more of a life you give your characters, the more they show you the way.

rikg73

Registered
Reaction score
I used to go into chat rooms using the names of my characters as aliases and chat to people in character. Sounds odd, but it did help a lot! A way to explore characters without actually "writing" as such :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I send my characters fishing. It helps me limber up the brainmeats.

I have an old fisherman who waits at the dock for my characters to go fishing with him. How they react, what they say and do, helps me get a feeling for them. Will they bait their own hook? Are they morally/ethically opposed to fishing? Are they afraid of the water? Do they want to take control of where the boat goes? Do they talk nonstop or are they comfortable with the silence? Are they easy to get along with or argumentative? Why is she insisting on bringing that lasagna?*

*yes. that happened. it gave me great insight into that character.

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
I used to go into chat rooms using the names of my characters as aliases and chat to people in character. Sounds odd, but it did help a lot! A way to explore characters without actually "writing" as such :)

Can I just say, I love this idea. I've written "interviews" with my characters before, but never anything that allowed them to interact with real people as if they were real people themselves. Really cool, I might have to try this.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score

I have an old fisherman who waits at the dock for my characters to go fishing with him. How they react, what they say and do, helps me get a feeling for them. Will they bait their own hook? Are they morally/ethically opposed to fishing? Are they afraid of the water? Do they want to take control of where the boat goes? Do they talk nonstop or are they comfortable with the silence? Are they easy to get along with or argumentative? Why is she insisting on bringing that lasagna?*

This is a really neat, unique idea. I might have to start doing something like this, too. :) Thanks for sharing.

The Contradiction

"Wait, why?" and "But, what if?"
Registered
Reaction score
One writing exercise that I've heard about quite a lot when it comes to getting your characters' social skills, relationships and cognitive processes down is the "take-your-characters-to-the-zoo" one. Or just The Zoo Exercise, if you will.
Basically its another way to write Bearilou's exercise: you send your characters to the zoo and see how they behave and interact. Which animals would scare them, and which are they interested in seeing? What do they think about animals in cages, about the different types of people they'll encounter (children, adults, staff and so on from different social circles) and so on. How judgmental are your characters? If they saw a crying child, would they buy him/her and ice cream, ignore it in awkwardness or maybe berate the parents?

Since I usually write character driven plots, I tend to focus on who they really are if you strip away the quest/main goal, the history and the possible love interest.

If you tend to write plots that resolve around your characters reacting and/or taking counter measures (say, trying to thwart some disaster), maybe you could do a writing exercise about chain reactions and consequences.

Start with something simple: maybe your character stopped on the way out to tie his shoelaces. That had the consequence of him meeting the pesky neighbor in the stairwell. That made him angry: what could that influence? Maybe he used a bit too much force to unlock the bike and thus broke something that- well, I think you get it.
I find that forcing myself to look at what the small details and actions influence later down the line can help me find my muse again. Read through your last paragraph or two where you got stuck in you WIP.
That tiny little action or description that you put in there to ad some depth and color?
It might be your clue to something a lot bigger. The angry neighbors may have kept your character up all night, maybe your horse didn't get its hooves picked and now its lame, maybe the car is a brand new ride that someone just HAD to scratch with a key.

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score

I love that idea.

When I'm in this situation, I force myself to be a pantser (I'm a big plotter). Luckily, I have a patient partner who will listen to me do an omni storytelling of the story, then as I get to the part I'm stuck, I wing it. It's impromptu and you're forced into this situation where you're have to think fast so you can keep telling the story. If I really stuck and can't think of anything, the person who's listening can jump in and we bounce ideas around. Makes for an interesting convo if you have someone that you trust your ideas with.

JoshSpaceCole

Mostly I just avoid real life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshua-cole.com
I haven't been showing quite enough, so I've been practicing completely objective writing by describing everything I can see in a particular scene without worrying about the next move. Half the time I do that I end up just making the next move and accidentally getting un-stuck!

If even that is defeating me, I'll just describe the objective facts of my own environment. When I run out of environment, I find myself rolling right back into the story.

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
Sometimes I get ideas from playing 'what if' with my characters. What if character X had never met character Y? What if he/she had made a different decision way back in chapter 1; how would that change the story? I learn all kinds of things about my characters and setting this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.