Standing Desks

EllaM

Herding Cats
Registered
Reaction score
I've buckled. I'm ordering a varidesk today
Does the vari mean it's adjustable?

I'm considering a monitor mount that let's me adjust the height. Adding a small table on top of my desk for the keyboard/mouse for when I want to stand.

Right now I move around the house (to another seat). I'd like to add in standing and/or exercise equipment options (recumbent exercise bike or treadmill). Effortless exercise!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does the vari mean it's adjustable? ..!

I expect. It's this. I don't need a treadmill because of daily gym and also I live in the garden and also I'm terribly, terribly lazy. (Hence the gym). I'm just very bad at sitting properly.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
What's bad for wrists and elbows is to dangle unsupported out in front of you, which is basically what happens if you type at the average desk.

I always type with the keyboard in my lap with my elbows resting on the chair arms, and I use the mouse on a table at the same height as and beside the chair arm so I don't need to reach for it, just move my arm slightly to the side. This is probably why I don't suffer from wrist anxiety.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See above where I mention research on "sitting properly" -- turns out slouching is actually better for us.

Ah, but I slouch the other way and it does cause a lot of pain in my shoulder, neck and head. I do a lot of my writing with paper and pen, and that's fine - but the computer and desk and my natural appallingness re: taking control of my body tend to muck me around. (As soon as I forget, I tend to sit with my feet tucked under me on the seat and the rest of me hunched forward. It's just not ideal.)

Still, knowing me and comfort, I'll probably have a varidesk to sell cheaply in a month or so. ;)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Ah, but I slouch the other way and it does cause a lot of pain in my shoulder, neck and head. I do a lot of my writing with paper and pen, and that's fine - but the computer and desk and my natural appallingness re: taking control of my body tend to muck me around.

Seat belts. :) Seriously, a 3-point harness might be just the ticket. I can't seem to find a picture of one in use offhand, but it would anchor between your legs and Y up over both shoulders, to more or less attach you to your seat. For bonus points, install a timer lock so you can't leave your seat until you've written your prescribed daily number of words. :D

Deleted member 42

I expect. It's this. I don't need a treadmill because of daily gym and also I live in the garden and also I'm terribly, terribly lazy. (Hence the gym). I'm just very bad at sitting properly.

If you keep it and use it standing, get a mat to stand on. Don't just get a rug, get one made for people standing while working.

It makes a big difference. Ask anyone who's worked in a professional kitchen.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you keep it and use it standing, get a mat to stand on. Don't just get a rug, get one made for people standing while working.

It makes a big difference. Ask anyone who's worked in a professional kitchen.

I ordered the mat at the same time - because it was mentioned here :) I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping either the mat or the varidesk will write the book for me, while I'm out watching the chickens :Sun: (Although as usual with me and magic technology, I may be disappointed...)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What's bad for wrists and elbows is to dangle unsupported out in front of you, which is basically what happens if you type at the average desk.

I work every day at a microscope, with a computer at the right side to record data. Most people I see working at desks just plain sit way too high, and wind up hunching their shoulders and elevating their elbows and wrists. I keep my desk chair as low as necessary to keep my back straight and my eyes aligned to the microscope oculars. This also allows my forearms to rest against the desk (I sometimes use a towel for padding) as I work the microscope controls and computer keyboard. And I'm fairly tall. I have done this for decades, and have no evidence of carpal tunnel or similar repetitive stress problems.

I observe other people working at computers with chairs jacked up high and their backs bent like question marks. No wonder they wind up with posture-related pains and injuries. The human spine did not evolve to suit that kind of posture.

On the other side, I have bad knees, courtesy of athletic injuries, and standing still for any period of time quickly becomes excruciating. The concept of a "standing desk" makes the worst kind of bad moon rise in my psyche.

caw

Deleted member 42

I ordered the mat at the same time - because it was mentioned here :) I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping either the mat or the varidesk will write the book for me, while I'm out watching the chickens :Sun: (Although as usual with me and magic technology, I may be disappointed...)

I'd put the chickens to work writing. Chaucer had great success getting a rooster to write.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Never heard of them, but it's a good bit of knowledge for a writer. Sounds like a great idea.

I used Google, and it seems some are called "standing mats", and others are called "anti-fatigue" mats.

Here's a description and several stats, facts, and figures from one manufacturer. http://www.americanfloormats.com/anti-fatigue-mats-for-the-standing-worker/

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Officially in love with my standing desk + mat combo. That didn't take long, did it? And my son has sorted a MacBook Air for me, and set it up so it links to my iphone which means *gasp* I can listen to my language tapes while I'm actually watching the chickens! Multi-tasking!!

I love magic. Sorry - technology.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A study pitting obesity against standing desks (posted yesterday):

"Exciting news – researchers at the University of PEI (myself included) are beginning a study on the impact of standing desks. If you live in the Charlottetown area (or know someone who does) and work a desk job, we’d love to hear from you."

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2014/09/23/participants-needed-standing-desk-edition/

I am pretty sure that in five years they'll decide that the benefits are outweighed by the varicose veins or something - but hey standing desks feel so good! I love mine!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
A friend loves standing at her desk too. If I did it for more than ten minutes, my back would inform me what an idiotic idea this was. Now, if it were a walking desk, that I could do!

Actually there is such a thing, it hangs on straps over your shoulders and the "desk" part is a shelf that rests against your waist.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend loves standing at her desk too. If I did it for more than ten minutes, my back would inform me what an idiotic idea this was. Now, if it were a walking desk, that I could do!

Actually there is such a thing, it hangs on straps over your shoulders and the "desk" part is a shelf that rests against your waist.

Between us, I was planning to hold out for a lying down desk, but they don't seem to be a Thing.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
A floor desk, and yes they exist (I'm not sure what they're properly called). It's basically the top of a lecturn, or that thing the teacher puts on their desk to hold the textbook, but shorter.

In my house, the desk is just a pine board about 12x20 inches, which gets plopped across my lap at need. I've been using the same durn board for over 30 years. People look at you funny when you say you've mislaid your desk, or hang on a sec, I've got to go get my desk.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
if I could split a keyboard in half and stick the left half on the left armrest and the right half on the right armrest

I don't know about an iPad, but type "split keyboard" into your favorite search engine and you'll find plenty of hits for PC and Mac hardware.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The armrests at the gym are at such a perfect angle for my arms that, if I could split a keyboard in half and stick the left half on the left armrest and the right half on the right armrest, and then plug my iPad into them, I could get a lot of writing done. Alas, no luck.
There's the IBM Model M15 - it's a really neat and different ergonomic design (as compared to the Microsoft Ergonomic which has the keys separated, but at a fixed distance and angle). Relatively few were made, so few that the prices make my Model M Space Saver look like an el cheapo.
This video shows the possibilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yiyulkF-Y
To have half on each armwrest would require making a longer cable between the two halves, or perhaps you could put Bluetooth and a battery into each half and have it be cordless. While installing that may be expensive, if you can afford one of these in the first place, you can afford to have Bluetooth installed.

Someone (probably Unicomp) should make those keyboards again.
I don't know about an iPad, but type "split keyboard" into your favorite search engine and you'll find plenty of hits for PC and Mac hardware.
I suspect that just about any keyboard connector can be converted to connect to an iPad (PS/2 to USB converters are under $10, then USB to however USB connects to iPad).

So I just googled, and these ARE being made, and even at (for what they are) reasonable prices:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...6&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=72939214076

http://www.thehumansolution.com/kin...7_a_7cKIN700&gclid=CKjjkNGZgsECFVEQ7AodFDMAxA

But they're not the clicky-key buckling spring keys.

Deleted member 42

Under iOS 8, there's a option for the iPad's digital (i.e. on the screen) keyboard to be split. You can also use other digital keyboards, like the Swift digital keyboard.

The difficulty with adapting any wired keyboard to the iPad is the problem of pin configuration; it's not trivial.

Any wireless Bluetooth keyboard works, some better than others.

What I like about the standing desk as an option is that I can move from the couch to the standing desk to the table at will, based on my comfort and the task at hand.